TomTom for iOS Version 2.8.3 causes 'Other Data' in iOS to grow excessively

H2CO3HCO3
H2CO3HCO3 Registered Users Posts: 22
Master Explorer
The current version of TomTom for iOS, Version 2.8.3 causes in iOS 15.3 an exesive increase in the size of the 'Other Data' in iOS.

This phenomena occurs, right after Maps are downloaed in iOS. Maps.

The size of the Maps downloaded will be shown in the 'Data' with the TomTom for iOS App (which is normal) and THEN, the same ammount of Data will be shown in 'OTher Data', duplicating the size of the storage ammount used in iOS.
Prior Versions of TomTom Go for iOS did not have this problem.

I'm attaching the following files for documentation:

2022.01.29.TomTom.01a.PNG
Shows the ammount of downloaded maps that are attached to the TOmTom Go for iOS app (which should be normal)

cumtkxknpvsv.png

2022.01.29.TomTom.02a.PNG
'Other Data' in iOS Shows basically the same ammount after the maps have been dowloaded. This is ABNORMAL.
Prior Versions of TomTom Go did NOT have this problem

893b7nv9sc6l.png

2022.01.29.TomTom.03a.PNG
iPhone has been reset. All data deleted and iphone was set up again as a brand new device

och9nml5suz9.png

2022.01.29.TomTom.04a.PNG
'Other Data' in iOS shows after iPhone has been reset, what is a normal size for the 'other data' storage in iOS aprox 1 GB in size

rt3ww2cbjwb7.png

2022.01.29.TomTom.05a.PNG
TomTom Go for iOS is re-installed on the iphone that has been just re-set up as a brand new device and the same ammount of maps are downloaded (aprox 18GB)

j0srfpbclpa5.png

2022.01.29.TomTom.06a.PNG
Afther the download of the Maps is completed, then 'Other Data' grows back up again from 1GB close to 19 GB. - THIS IS ABNORMAL
The size of 'Other Data' WILL NOT decrease.
Only if TomTom for IOS is deleted, then value of 'Other Data' will then be reduced. THIS IS ABNORMAL

m89mjk1rvmsw.png

I've created a Ticket with TomTom's Support Team. In case anyone has noticed the abnormal increase in 'Other Data' in IOS when downloading maps with TOmTom Go for IOS, at least now you know that you are not alone.

Best Regards

Comments

• H2CO3HCO3
    Master Explorer
    Jan. 30th 2022 - Update

I've re-set my device 3 times in the past couple of days. Each time I re-set a device and attempted to re-set it up, as soon as the TomTom Go for iOS app was installed and Maps were downloaed, then immediately 'Other Data' (also known as 'System Data' in iOS) would immediately increase in size and NEVER go down, even if I deleted the maps that had just been dowloaded.

Re-starting the iPhone will NOT allow 'OTher Data' to neither reduce in size.
    'Restoring' from BackUp after an iPhone was reset, would unfortunately bring the same problem back up again, namely the 'Other Data' abnormal increase exactly as it was prior to the iPhone being re-set.

The 'only' way to have 'Other Data' back to a normal size has been to re-set the device and re-set it up again as it it was a brand new device and download all apps, then sync all data (Music, Books, etc) again.

I've replicated this problem with 3 different iPhones i have/own (privately owned devices) and in each case, the same phenomena has been replicated as soon as Maps are downloaded by the TomTom Go for iOS App (Version 2.8.3).

In the past few days, I've re-set each of my devices up to three times and in each case, as soon as Maps are downloaed, then 'Other Data' will increase in size and never go down (even if the App, Tomtom for iOS is deleted, there will be a 'partial' reduccion in the size of 'Other Data' in iOS, but will never truly go down to what it was when the device was set up as a new device. This has never been a problem before with prior Versions of the TomTom Go for iOS App.

I've documented this phenomena of my further attempts to resolve this issue and sent this information directly to TomTom Support for escalation to their development team in hopes that this issue will be addressed and a new Version of the TomTom Go for iOS app will be released that will addressed this issues with iOS 15.3, which is, as of the time of this post, the 'current' Version of iOS in production
  • H2CO3HCO3
    Master Explorer
    Update Jan. 31st, 2022
    As additional information and just to make absolutely sure that I'm able to replicate the problem, I've repeated in the last week, the same problem on several iphones, all running iOS 15.3, iOS 14, as well with iOS 13 (Note that the current version of TomTOm Go for iOS, Version 2.8.3 is NOT compatible with iOS 12, therefor, I could not test and replicate this issue with an iPhone running iOS 12 as TomTom Go for iOS Version 2.8.3 will NOT install in iOS 12).

I've been able to consistently repeat the same phenomena on different iphones I own, all of which have iOS 15.3, iOS 15.2.1, ios 14 and ios 13 installed. In all cases, the 'current' Version of TomTom Go for iOS, version 2.8.3 will produce the dame Bug.

After the TomTom Go for iOS Maps have been downloaed, that ammount of Data will be duplicated:
    -the ammount of Maps downloaded will be displayed in the 'Documents & Data' Section, along with the Tom Tom Go for iOS
    AND
    -the SAME Ammount of Maps downloaded will be DUPLICATED in 'Other Data' (also known as System Data in iOS), basically DOUBLING and DUPLICATING the ammount of Data and space used inside an iPhone for the same Map Data. This Bug is ABNORMAL and has never been the case with ANY prior Version of TomTom Go for iOS.

Under 'Normal' circumstances, all Map Data downloaded for TomTom Go for iOS would 'normally' be stored only as 'Documents & Data' Section together with the TomTom Go for iOS App.

Prior Versions of TomTom Go for iOS have other problems which cause TomTom for iOS to crash in Apple CarPlay.

I'm attaching the following 'follow up' pictures, which show the exact same phenomena, though, since I've re-set 3 different iphones and have been able to replicate the same problem multiple times on multiple devices, I upload the latest batch of pictures as follows:

'2022.01.31.TomTom.01b.jpg'
    iOS 'Other Data' (also known as 'System Data') Size immediately after iPhone has been re-set and all data has been deleted and iPhone is ready to be set-up again as a brand new device
    Each App will be installed and the Size of 'Other Data' will remain unchanged.
    04074wpzaa34.jpg

'2022.01.31.TomTom.02b.jpg'
    iOS 'Other Data' (also known as 'System Data') Size immediately after iPhone has been re-set and all data has been deleted and iPhone is ready to be set-up again as a brand new device
    Each App will be installed and the Size of 'Other Data' will remain unchanged.
    epslih08hcd7.jpg

'2022.01.31.TomTom.03b.jpg'
    Immediately after TomTom Go for iOS Maps are downloaded, then 'Other Data' will immediately increase in Size, which has NEVER been the case in prior Versions of TomTom Go for iOS and that is in Addition to the already existing Data increase in the TomTOm App size itself.
    b0i66bxocv5t.jpg

'2022.01.31.TomTom.04b.jpg'
    This picture is taken immediately after the TomTom Go for iOS was installed WITHOUT Any Maps downloaed.
    Notice that the Size of 'Documents & Data' is extremely small, only 18 KB which is normal as there are no maps downloaed.
    e13khaxptjci.jpg

'2022.01.31.TomTom.05b.jpg'
    This picture is taken immediately after Maps have been downloaded to TomTom Go for iOS.
    Under 'normal' circumstances, with all prior versions of TomTom Go for iOS, Maps will be downloaded in the 'Documents & Data', which in this picture is shown in the ammount of 17+ GB (most of Europe Maps installed).
    This exact same ammount will be DUPLICATED in 'Other Data' (also Known as 'System Data' in iOS) basically DOUBLING THE AMMOUNT USED BY THE MAPS DOWNLOADED BY TomTom Go for iOS (Version 2.8.3)
    yr8olb7ijo24.jpg

'2022.01.31.TomTom.06b.jpg'
    This picture is taken immediately after Maps have been downloaded to TomTom Go for iOS, showing the dramatic increase of 'Other Data' (also known as 'System Data' in iOS) doubling the size in the iPhone:
    tx1sktwbwrjd.jpg

18+ GB in 'Documents & Data' with the TomTom Go for iOS App (which that alone should be normal, see prior picture '2022.01.31.TomTom.05b.jpg')
    AND
    18+ in 'Other Data' (also known as System Data in iOS) DOUBLING THE SIZE of Data Used in an iPhone which is ABNORMAL.

'2022.01.31.TomTom.07b.jpg'
    This picture is taken immediately after Maps have been downloaded to TomTom Go for iOS, showing the dramatic increase of 'Other Data' (also known as 'System Data' in iOS) doubling the size in the iPhone:
    18+ GB in 'Documents & Data' with the TomTom Go for iOS App (which that alone should be normal, see prior picture '2022.01.31.TomTom.05b.jpg')
    AND
    18+ in 'Other Data' (also known as System Data in iOS) DOUBLING THE SIZE of Data Used in an iPhone which is ABNORMAL.
    tukc4ovddzc2.jpg

So basically, what TomTom Go for iOS is using 36+ GB of space in two locations:
    AND

Prior Versions of TomTom Go for iOS did NOT have this problem.

I've added this information in the already open Ticket I have with TomTom Support Team in hopes they will be coordinating with the TomTom Development team and have they address this issue in a future release of the App for iOS.
  • H2CO3HCO3
    Master Explorer
    Update Feb. 08th, 2022
    TomTom Go for iOS Version 3.0 has been released to the public but unfortunately I have not received a confirmation from TomTom's Support that this new version will have addressed the Bugs with abnormal 'Other Data' doubling issues as described in this post.

Once I have confirmation from TomTom Support of a version of TomTom Go for iOS that will address the Bugs with the excessive increase in size of 'Ohter Data' in iOS, then I will update this post with the results.
  • H2CO3HCO3
    Master Explorer
    Update March 3rd, 2022

Note: This is a work-around and this issue is NOT resolved as of the time of this Update.

An update to the TomTom Go for iOS has been released a few days ago. Though there is no response from TomTom's Support Team with regard to the phenomena as described on this post, I've updated to the latest version of TomTom Go for iOS, namely Version 3.0.1 and found possibly a work-around for the current phenomena with TomTom Go for iOs Map Data storage problem in iOS.

Version tested as of the time of this post: TomTom GO for iOs 3.0.1

The work around is as follows:
    Version: TomTom GO for iOs 3.0.1 (only. Previous Versions of TomTom Go for iOS do NOT work, even if this work-around is attempted)

-hard reset the iOS Device (delete all data, settings, let the iOS device re-boot)

-set up the iOS device as a brand new device
    Note: 'restoring' from a previously made backup, ie. iCloud or iTunes backup will bring back the issue exactly as described on this post
    (even though after restoring from backup, no map data will be present, once that the maps are downloaded, then the issue will be replicated as already described at the beginning in this post)

-download one map at the time. Only after a map has completed downloading, then continue with the next map download (if needed/applicable)
    If more than one map are needed, then downloading multiple maps at the same time will bring back the issue as described at the beginning of this post

If the above steps are followed, then and only with 'TomTom GO for iOs Version 3.0.1' the map data will be stored only with the App itself (in the 'Documents and Data' Section with the app itself).

I've been able to implement the workaround as described on each device and in each case, if the above steps are followed, then the map data will be downloaded and stored only once.

Hopefully TomTom's Support and Development Team will take the time to address this issue and release a new version soon that will permanently resolve this phenomena, thus enabling the possibility to download multiple maps at the same time without causing the map data to be duplicated in storage as described at the beginning of this post. Until then, this work-around has worked on all of my ios devices thus so far.

Best Regards
  • H2CO3HCO3
    Master Explorer
    Update March 15th, 2022

Note: This is a follow up to the work-around posted on March 3rd 2022 and this issue is NOT resolved as of the time of this Update.

Version tested as of the time of this post: TomTom GO for iOs 3.0.1
    iOS Version tested 15.4

with the 'current' version of TomTom GO for iOS which is version 3.0.1 as of the time of this message, I've noticed that each time I download multiple maps at the same time (see picture), then the phenomena of duplicating the size of the map data in both Documents and Data as well as 'other data' also known as 'system data' in ios will occur.

In prior versions of TomTom Go this was also the case.

The 'only' difference that I have noticed, and this works ONLY in the following order:

-iPhone must be reset to default - this means deleting all data, all settings and re-setting up the iphone /ios Device from scratch

-if I 'restore from backup' in iOS, whether is from icloud or from itunes, then the problem with 'other data' and tomtom go for ios duplicating the size of the map data in documents and data and other data comes back again... so iphone/ios device MUST BE set up as a brand new device

-This means installing each app and re-setting up all apps, including TomTom Go for iOS from scratch

+

-re-downloading all needed TomTom Go for iOS Map data ONE MAP AT THE TIME

-meaning that if I again attempt to download multiple maps at the same time (see attached picture), if I click on a bunch of maps and let ios download them as they are available, then the duplication in 'documents and data' with TomTOm Go for iOS + the same ammount of space will be also added in 'other data' in iOS as well

-ONLY if I download ONE MAP AT THE TIME and ONLY with TomTom GO for iOS which is version 3.0.1 which is the current version as of the time of this message, only if the above conditions are met, then for the time being, map data will be downloaded and allocated with 'documents and data' only.

-if I attempts to download more than one map at the same time, automatically, regardless what version of tomtom go for ios i'm using, then the size of 'other data' in ios will grow in the same size that is in 'documents and data' with the tom tom go for ios app itself... for example... if I download 18+ GB and those are shown in 'documents and data' with the tomtom go for ios app (see previously submitted pictures), then the same 18+ gb size will additionally grow in 'other data' as well WHICH IS NOT NORMAL

bnrze1oipefm.png

So for the time being, with iOS 15.4 (as well as with prior versions of iOS 15.x and 14.x as well) and ONLY with TomTom GO for iOs 3.0.1, installing one map at the time will allow the map data to be allocated with the App itself (in documents and data section in ios). If multiple maps are downloaded at the same time (see picture), then map data will be downloiaded to both 'documents and data' section and also the same ammount of 'data' in size will grow in 'other system data'... as an example, if all map data are 18 GB in size, then 'other data' will grow an additional 18 GB as well. Only if one map was downloaded per time (again, one can download more than one map, just make sure you download one map each time), then, for the time being, the maps will be stored 'correctly' in 'documents and data' with the app itself in ios.

TomTom Support at of the time of this post hast to yet, provide an answer with a resolution to this issue (there are plenty messages from TomTom Support that they have 'escalated the issue, but that is all I've gotten sofar... a cust rep's first name, 'hi my name is whatever' and your case it this and I have escalated to blah blah... ' that is unfortunately not a resolution but at least those TomTom Go For ioS users that may be affected will have with this post a 'work around' for the time being.

Best Regards
  • H2CO3HCO3
    Master Explorer
    Update April 29th 2022
    TomTom Support has finally informed that a new version of TomTom GO for iOS Version 3.1.4 has addressed the issues described in this post.
    Best Regards
  • Jürgen
    Jürgen Community Managers, Administrators Posts: 7,205
    Community Manager
    I have checked the last comment sent to you on 25 April. That is rather asking if one of the last updates has fixed your issue. 3.1.4 has no fixes at all and only removes an analytics tool.