Brand new Tom Tom GO DISCOVER 6 wont power on

hughb
hughb Registered Users Posts: 12
Apprentice Seeker
edited January 17 in Devices using Wi-Fi®
Just got a Brand New Tom Tom GO Discover 6 and it wont power on.
Have connected in the car and left it for an hour to see if it would charge up.
Tried holding the button for 5 seconds to reset.
I did hear the drum roll a couple of times after that nothing.
Screen sort of lights up, as it is trying to do something but its completely black, no menus, options etc.
Is it DEAD ON ARRIVAL ?

Comments

• hughb
    Apprentice Seeker
    Am I actually going to get any support from tom tom in this forum or is it other users offering their best advice.
  • Willy875
    Willy875 Registered Users Posts: 5,440
    Revered Voyager
    Charge it on an AC charger for 2 hours and then try to turn it on.

If there is no result, the device is new, contact customer service.
  • DougLap
    DougLap Posts: 9,860
    Superuser
    Hi @hughb

This is a User based forum where users try to help one another resolve issues. It is not directly connected to Customer Support.

If you have an Apple or similar mobile phones main charger that will take the USB cable then use that to charge the unit for 2 hours plus. USB sockets in cars do not provide sufficient power and are largely designed for data transfer. Once fully charge Press and hold in the ON/OFF button for 20 seconds plus until you have seen the Tomtom sign then hear a drumroll.

Doug
  • hughb
    Apprentice Seeker
    Yep tried it on a phone charger for well over 2 hours - stlll no better.
    The USB charger is the car runs off the 12v supply. It is surely enough to run the device otherwise they would not sell the 12v adapter for the car.

Attempted to contact tom tom support through email - they have had my problem for 24 hours - no response, just an automated email 24 hours ago.
    I dont know why I bought tom tom again the service is crap.
    I'm sending it back to Amazon as 'Dead on Arrival'.

If there is a problem sending these things out with flat battery they should be putting that information in the getting started guide.
  • Willy875
    Willy875 Registered Users Posts: 5,440
    Revered Voyager
    Hi

@DougLap talked about factory-installed USB sockets in new cars.
  • DougLap
    DougLap Posts: 9,860
    Superuser
    Hi @hughb

I was as @Willy875 says referring to an USB socket in the car which will only supply 0.5amp at best and is largely a data connection. If you look on the Cig Charger supplied with the device it has a greater output than 0.5amp.

Doug