Road names in Poland

jjanusz
jjanusz Registered Users Posts: 15
Master Explorer
Hi,

road names in Poland consist of first and last names as well as expressions of honor. I have reported such changes in MapShare. However, I noticed that there are differences between the names of the roads, for example Władysław Reymonta and Władysława StanisławaRemonta. What is the street naming policy adopted by TomTom? I would like to omit first names and honorary phrases because it would simplify the display and voice commands.

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Supreme Pioneer
    edited January 16
    HI @jjanusz

Kindly provide coordinates for road names, documentation of road name from MOT, correct name and screenshots. Do note that these reports are sent anonymously, they will only fix case by a case basis. Also, it would be best at this big country scale that you be in contact with your MOT (Ministry of Transportation) to be in contact with TomTom about the road data.

Thank you :)

Shawn
  • jjanusz
    Master Explorer

Hi,

I meant something else, namely, each map creator has his own assumptions how, for example, street names are to be presented. Examples:
    1. Władysława Stanisława Reymonta road name could be presented as:
    a) Reymonta
    b) Reymonta, Władysława Stanisława
    c) Władysława Stanisława Reymonta
    2. Księdza Doktora Konrada Kelera road name could be presented as:
    a) Kelera
    b) Kelera, Konrada, Ks. dr.
    c) Księdza Doktora Konrada Kelera
    3. Bolesława Chrobrego road name should remain Bolesława Chrobrego
    4. Świętego Jacka road name should remain Świętego Jacka

I reported corrections to the maps in accordance with the spirit of TomTom maps, i.e. according to the example point c) full name, although in fact I am a supporter of point a) abbreviated name, omitting the names of kings, saints, popes, etc. So I am a fan of road names: Zamoyskiego, Czarnieckiego, Żółkiewicza, Chodkiewicza insted of, for example, Hetmana Jana Karola Chodkiewicza (actual road name on TomTOm maps).

I believe that a good modification for the future TomTom maps would be the possibility to choose whether to display full or abbreviated street names. Those who remember GPMapa for Garmin, created and unfortunatelly discontinued N years ago, know what I am writing about.

---
    jjanusz
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Supreme Pioneer
    jjanusz wrote: »
    Hi,

I meant something else, namely, each map creator has his own assumptions how, for example, street names are to be presented. Examples:
    1. Władysława Stanisława Reymonta road name could be presented as:
    a) Reymonta
    b) Reymonta, Władysława Stanisława
    c) Władysława Stanisława Reymonta
    2. Księdza Doktora Konrada Kelera road name could be presented as:
    a) Kelera
    b) Kelera, Konrada, Ks. dr.
    c) Księdza Doktora Konrada Kelera
    3. Bolesława Chrobrego road name should remain Bolesława Chrobrego
    4. Świętego Jacka road name should remain Świętego Jacka

I reported corrections to the maps in accordance with the spirit of TomTom maps, i.e. according to the example point c) full name, although in fact I am a supporter of point a) abbreviated name, omitting the names of kings, saints, popes, etc. So I am a fan of road names: Zamoyskiego, Czarnieckiego, Żółkiewicza, Chodkiewicza insted of, for example, Hetmana Jana Karola Chodkiewicza (actual road name on TomTOm maps).

I believe that a good modification for the future TomTom maps would be the possibility to choose whether to display full or abbreviated street names. Those who remember GPMapa for Garmin, created and unfortunatelly discontinued N years ago, know what I am writing about.

---
    jjanusz

I see, these arent' really map issues as Pkwy or why can be spoken on the GPS as h w y or highway, it would be how the navigation system is programmed to translate to :)@VikramK * @lampard could you kindly send this to the team to consider as a new feature?

have a wonderful day!

Shawn
  • jjanusz
    Master Explorer
    edited January 22
    I have been thinking the whole nigth... I think that all road names on TomTom maps should be abbreviated, probably radical decicion, but for me, maps are not for learning who is who, the main purpose is navigation, so abbreviated names 1) occupy less space on display, 2) are shorter to digitaly speak, 3) no more burden: no more Reymonta, Władysława S. Reymonta, Władysława Reymonta and so on. Of course some historical names should remain: Bolesława Chrobrego, Świętego Jacka, Królowej Jadwigi...

EDIT: ask people about the full name of the road they live on, especially in case of: Hetmana Jana Karola Chodkiewicza ;)
    EDIT2: as I wrote above, I am active reporter (yes, I am new to TomTom, last 11 years I was using Garmin) and I report issues where road name is not full name, as I wrote above, I believe that actual TomTom policy are: full road names. So yes, I report FULL names, but I want ABBREVIATED names.

---
    jjanusz