Exporting Favourites from Garmin DriveSmart 61 to TomTom GO Premium X

PliSsK
PliSsK Registered Users Posts: 10
Apprentice Seeker
I have recently sold my Garmin and have bought a Premium X. I have back up files of my Garmin, in the back up folder are 'current.gpx' and 'garminexpressimport.gpx' files, the current is the larger of the two. I used an on line gpx to ov2 converter at GPS Data Team to convert both files to ov2 and then used the web-based tomtom mydrive to go to my places and upload the gpx file(s) as POIs. I first tried the current.ov2 file and on the TomTom device, when I looked at my places and then selected Current, all I saw was 50 to 100 rows of local roads which were never in my Garmin Favourites and a few Favourites entries, but 50 or so missing entries that were in my Garmin Favourites. I tried the same on the GarminExpressImport.ov2 file, and this was worse, 2 or 3 rows of text lines with no locations mentioning the gpx to ov2 converter web site. So basically it doesn't work at all. Should I give up or try repeating it all using other back up gpx files? Or try another converter? I have 2 sets of back ups from two Garmin devices both of which were synched with each other. Thanks for the input!
Tagged:

Best Answers

• Lost_Soul
    Lost_Soul Registered Users Posts: 410
    Supreme Pioneer
    Answer ✓
    @PliSsK

I have been flitting back and forth from Tomtom to Garmin and vice versa and to transfer Garmin favourites to a Tomtom POI I successfully use 'ITN Converter' See here to read in and then export the gpx file to an ov2 format .
  • Lost_Soul
    Supreme Pioneer
    Answer ✓
    @PliSsK

Yes I have had issues with reading gpx / ov2 files............... :s

Whilst if you are transferring TomTom favourites (via ov2) back to Garmin, you can choose to put a gpx file in Favourites or in the POI category or both, Tomtom only allows for ov2 files to be treated as a POI.

But you can convert "each" POI when selecting a destination and save them to My Places - this although long-winded is my preference as you can select a destination using MyDrive (PC / App) and transfer this to the Go premium before starting a journey, so I can drive off immediately instead of waiting to program in a destination from the device.

Other users prefer to keep everything as POI's, you would then have to maintain an external file to update and to reimport the POI file. I did have an Excel Spreadsheet (saved as CSV for this purpose) which now I keep as a backup - I used to be able to put notes and phone number etc along with each POI, but that does not appear to work anymore for both Garmin & Tomtom! There must have been some format changes over the years on the devices............... or what a manufacturer calls a feature improvement B)

Keeping everything in MyPlaces, can also mean if you have a large number in an area the Blue stars can be very obtrusive on the map!

Whilst I have only been a Tomtom user for some 5 1/2 years (currently preparing to go back to Garmin, as there are so many unresolved basic navigational and routing Tomtom issues) their methodology of handling POI's for me is sadly lacking. :s
  • Lost_Soul
    Supreme Pioneer
    Answer ✓
    @PliSsK

Sorry for delay (am a migraine suffer with loss of vision!).

I like that on the Garmin I can import a gpx file and place it in either Favourites or the POI section or both. The Garmin is also able to import POI’s etc. into categories one level deep, but you can so easily on the device allocate many different categories (making up new ones on the fly) to each favourite or POI plus add a phone number and change the map symbol or do all this in Garmin Basecamp using a full size keyboard (just remembered this is one way I used to do this) and then transfer everything over.

I have been using many different Garmin / TomTom devices and find that it is the TomTom generally that shows less map detail when driving, but on each device you do have to change the settings to get a more detailed map being displayed.

I have used both a Garmin and TomTom in tandem and the speed camera databases are largely in sync, but watching a recent programme on TV it seems a lot of speed cameras on our Motorways etc. are not switched on! B)

Again using both in tandem, different options to a route are often presented, but all arriving eventually at the same location. I have found historically that TomTom will often reroute to save a minute or so sending you through many small and narrow back roads whereas the Garmin can keep you on the main route and only divert with sufficient savings (on earlier devices you could set a time saving factor – now it is either Manual or Automatic rerouting) which I prefer as traffic jams can easily clear…………

Traffic detection (and Motorway Junction Closures) is similar on both devices, Garmin traffic is more granular in detail often detecting a traffic jam of several cars whereas the TomTom finds none, the speed of detection can sometimes lag behind TomTom for both traffic and closures but equally vice versa.

I do prefer finding a location (especially in a rural setting) using either lat / long or MapCodes (similar to What3Words) which is supported by TomTom devices or Mydrive and agree it is preferable to create a favourite location on a full sized keyboard.

I use a ‘Mr Stickee Suction Cup Buddy’ on all my mounts which improves matters considerably plus I have moved to placing my Sat Nav on the dashboard via a plastic mounting disk instead of using the windscreen. (When I use 2 I have one hanging upside down from the underneath of the Speedometer binnacle which is an ideal location but it can obscure some warning lights from the car!)

I have a Drivesmart 76 and provided I connect to my PC to a USB socket on the mother board and not one providing 500mah there is no issue connecting to Garmin Express – the same applies for the later version TomTom devices which draw more current and can constantly connect / disconnect to Mydrive Connect.

There are good and bad points on both the TomTom and Garmin and it would be awesome if they combined forces! TomTom appears to have hit the doldrums where historic issues just remain unresolved for years and of late more bugs just seem to be occurring…………. :s

I moved onto using a Go Camper as I was fed up with the Go Premium routing me through narrow one track roads but I have not been overly impressed with my Go Camper; since its purchase in Mid 2019, for example it will when attempting to drive to my local Shell station (@ Chiswell AL2 3EH) instead of the almost straight 1 ½ mile journey down the A405 (No restrictions) from exiting my village (Bricket Wood), it can direct me to travel down the M1 to Junction 5 to exit and then return on the M1 to J6 and back onto the A405 an unnecessary 5 ½ miles detour!!!! :'(

I have other illogical examples in a similar illogical “circular” vein, and I still get sent down narrow lanes where if you met another vehicle would require either vehicle to reverse a hundred yards or more……..

Also, my Go Camper routes me on crazy, circular or illogical routes which “partially” seems to be linked to the weight/width/height restrictions of “adjoining roads” on a route. On the map when zoomed right in you can see the ends of the limits on these adjoining roads, “overlap” onto the main road, thus often causing the device to avoid the main road due to these ‘phantom restrictions’ and often consequently send me round in circles!!! The equivalent Garmin so far does not exhibit these TomTom features……….. B)

The map and road colourings of the TomTom can be distracting or confusing – I prefer Motorways for example to be Blue, A roads to be green / light green and B roads Yellow – I can change all the colours on the Garmin to reflect this. Irritatingly there is no standard for Road Map colours. Historically traffic delays have always been shown in Red and this used to confuse when some roads were also a Red colour. On the TomTom there is no way to change road colours.

Currently I am deciding whether to revert fully to Garmin or revert to having both manufacturer devices in the car - at which point I would use a TomTom Go Premium as it does appear the most reliable (popular) device in the TomTom range and accept the irritation of being sent down narrow one track roads……….. :s

The jury is out. :#

Answers

• Lost_Soul
    Supreme Pioneer
    Answer ✓
    @PliSsK

I have been flitting back and forth from Tomtom to Garmin and vice versa and to transfer Garmin favourites to a Tomtom POI I successfully use 'ITN Converter' See here to read in and then export the gpx file to an ov2 format .
  • PliSsK
    Apprentice Seeker
    edited January 16
    Hi LS, not sure what the problem was, maybe the backup file I tried to convert previously was corrupt but it didn't work with ITNConv but ITNC did work fine with another Current.gpx file. Now all the favourites including the item names are transferred across as ov2 in my places/POI on the web. I tried at first to convert to MyDrive format and it uploaded it to Routes in MyDrive on the web but it lost all the item names so I used the ov2 export format instead. Thanks for all the help!

So basically when transferring across all your favourites from Garmin, you have to use a POI file, but when you want to add additional places, then you do it as a new place, which appears as a new entry in the new places list, so you have to search in two places potentially for some locations, in the main list and in the favourites POI import? Unless the search is smart enough to find them in either location.
  • Lost_Soul
    Supreme Pioneer
    Answer ✓
    @PliSsK

Yes I have had issues with reading gpx / ov2 files............... :s

Whilst if you are transferring TomTom favourites (via ov2) back to Garmin, you can choose to put a gpx file in Favourites or in the POI category or both, Tomtom only allows for ov2 files to be treated as a POI.

But you can convert "each" POI when selecting a destination and save them to My Places - this although long-winded is my preference as you can select a destination using MyDrive (PC / App) and transfer this to the Go premium before starting a journey, so I can drive off immediately instead of waiting to program in a destination from the device.

Other users prefer to keep everything as POI's, you would then have to maintain an external file to update and to reimport the POI file. I did have an Excel Spreadsheet (saved as CSV for this purpose) which now I keep as a backup - I used to be able to put notes and phone number etc along with each POI, but that does not appear to work anymore for both Garmin & Tomtom! There must have been some format changes over the years on the devices............... or what a manufacturer calls a feature improvement B)

Keeping everything in MyPlaces, can also mean if you have a large number in an area the Blue stars can be very obtrusive on the map!

Whilst I have only been a Tomtom user for some 5 1/2 years (currently preparing to go back to Garmin, as there are so many unresolved basic navigational and routing Tomtom issues) their methodology of handling POI's for me is sadly lacking. :s
  • PliSsK
    Apprentice Seeker
    So do you just keep your destinations as POIs or do you have some other use for POIs that you feel Garmin handles better? I had a Garmin Drivesmart 61 7" for 3 years, sold it, and briefly owned a 66 6" which was faulty and had to send it back. I found the menu system and responsiveness of the 66 hugely better (when it worked) but the screen hard to read, not because it was too small but because no matter how much you zoomed in on the roads it still displayed the A road names with such small characters I couldn't read them. The Garmins were always missing backroads which was rather annoying and the speed cam database that synchs with the map database was not useful at all. I never bothered using them in conjunction with my phone as it isn't very advanced (!) Routes taken were a bit odd frequently. The screens were otherwise bright and easy to see in bright sunlight compared with TomTom. I'm not sure if I find the menu system on Premium X worse or the same as Garmin, they are different. You can't swipe through the menu whilst you are driving obviously. Finding a location on map on the sat nav and saving it is just as hard and fiddly on both devices. TomTom I think is more intrusive privacy wise but the on line mydrive is fantastic to use and entering destinations on a proper computer makes everything so much easier. I also find the information available to the driver more usefully presented on the TomTom. Connecting the 66 to a PC was problematic, I was forever having to restart it and reconnect it to get the Garmin Express to detect it. The build quality on the Garmin feels better, smaller bezel, thinner, higher quality plastics, feels robust but the power on is a bit flakey. The Garmin windscreen cup is awful though, keeps falling off. I decided to go with a TomTom as I heard the maps are better and I wanted a SIM based unit so went for the now slightly old Premium. I'm curious about your usage that would make Garmin better. Cheers.
  • Lost_Soul
    Supreme Pioneer
    Answer ✓
    @PliSsK

Sorry for delay (am a migraine suffer with loss of vision!).

I like that on the Garmin I can import a gpx file and place it in either Favourites or the POI section or both. The Garmin is also able to import POI’s etc. into categories one level deep, but you can so easily on the device allocate many different categories (making up new ones on the fly) to each favourite or POI plus add a phone number and change the map symbol or do all this in Garmin Basecamp using a full size keyboard (just remembered this is one way I used to do this) and then transfer everything over.

I have been using many different Garmin / TomTom devices and find that it is the TomTom generally that shows less map detail when driving, but on each device you do have to change the settings to get a more detailed map being displayed.

I have used both a Garmin and TomTom in tandem and the speed camera databases are largely in sync, but watching a recent programme on TV it seems a lot of speed cameras on our Motorways etc. are not switched on! B)

Again using both in tandem, different options to a route are often presented, but all arriving eventually at the same location. I have found historically that TomTom will often reroute to save a minute or so sending you through many small and narrow back roads whereas the Garmin can keep you on the main route and only divert with sufficient savings (on earlier devices you could set a time saving factor – now it is either Manual or Automatic rerouting) which I prefer as traffic jams can easily clear…………

Traffic detection (and Motorway Junction Closures) is similar on both devices, Garmin traffic is more granular in detail often detecting a traffic jam of several cars whereas the TomTom finds none, the speed of detection can sometimes lag behind TomTom for both traffic and closures but equally vice versa.

I do prefer finding a location (especially in a rural setting) using either lat / long or MapCodes (similar to What3Words) which is supported by TomTom devices or Mydrive and agree it is preferable to create a favourite location on a full sized keyboard.

I use a ‘Mr Stickee Suction Cup Buddy’ on all my mounts which improves matters considerably plus I have moved to placing my Sat Nav on the dashboard via a plastic mounting disk instead of using the windscreen. (When I use 2 I have one hanging upside down from the underneath of the Speedometer binnacle which is an ideal location but it can obscure some warning lights from the car!)

I have a Drivesmart 76 and provided I connect to my PC to a USB socket on the mother board and not one providing 500mah there is no issue connecting to Garmin Express – the same applies for the later version TomTom devices which draw more current and can constantly connect / disconnect to Mydrive Connect.

There are good and bad points on both the TomTom and Garmin and it would be awesome if they combined forces! TomTom appears to have hit the doldrums where historic issues just remain unresolved for years and of late more bugs just seem to be occurring…………. :s

I moved onto using a Go Camper as I was fed up with the Go Premium routing me through narrow one track roads but I have not been overly impressed with my Go Camper; since its purchase in Mid 2019, for example it will when attempting to drive to my local Shell station (@ Chiswell AL2 3EH) instead of the almost straight 1 ½ mile journey down the A405 (No restrictions) from exiting my village (Bricket Wood), it can direct me to travel down the M1 to Junction 5 to exit and then return on the M1 to J6 and back onto the A405 an unnecessary 5 ½ miles detour!!!! :'(

I have other illogical examples in a similar illogical “circular” vein, and I still get sent down narrow lanes where if you met another vehicle would require either vehicle to reverse a hundred yards or more……..

Also, my Go Camper routes me on crazy, circular or illogical routes which “partially” seems to be linked to the weight/width/height restrictions of “adjoining roads” on a route. On the map when zoomed right in you can see the ends of the limits on these adjoining roads, “overlap” onto the main road, thus often causing the device to avoid the main road due to these ‘phantom restrictions’ and often consequently send me round in circles!!! The equivalent Garmin so far does not exhibit these TomTom features……….. B)

The map and road colourings of the TomTom can be distracting or confusing – I prefer Motorways for example to be Blue, A roads to be green / light green and B roads Yellow – I can change all the colours on the Garmin to reflect this. Irritatingly there is no standard for Road Map colours. Historically traffic delays have always been shown in Red and this used to confuse when some roads were also a Red colour. On the TomTom there is no way to change road colours.

Currently I am deciding whether to revert fully to Garmin or revert to having both manufacturer devices in the car - at which point I would use a TomTom Go Premium as it does appear the most reliable (popular) device in the TomTom range and accept the irritation of being sent down narrow one track roads……….. :s

• YamFazMan
    YamFazMan Posts: 20,804
    Superuser
    edited January 28
    Hi
    @PliSsK & @Lost_Soul
    If I have a problem with a .Ov2 POI file i.e... Some of the POI locations are not available or displayed on the device....
    Try....
    (1)... Run the .Ov2 file though on-line PoiEditor
    Here... http://www.poieditor.com/
    (2)... Now save the file the file back to the desktop...
    The PoiEditor site appears to correct the file header and other faults in the file....
    (3)... Reinstall the .Ov2 file (Using the MyDrive Web Route planner/Tomtom cloud account....
    (4)... All of the POI locations are now displayed on correctly on my Tomtom devices....

Stay Safe... ATB YFM
  • Lost_Soul
    Supreme Pioneer
    @YamFazMan cc @PliSsK

Thanks, but my experience with POI Editor is that it does not read in successfully all the file formats it says it supports! :'(

Supports TomTom .ov2, Navman/Garmin .csv , gpx, kml, lmx and plain ascii files

It either misses favourite completely or the name of the favourite is missing. :s
  • YamFazMan
    YamFazMan Posts: 20,804
    Superuser
    edited January 28
    Hi
    @Lost_Soul
    I only use the on-line 'PoiEditor' Website....
    Here... http://www.poieditor.com/
    To fix Old or Corrupt .Ov2 POI headers and other .Ov2 file faults....

Were you thinking of POIEdit....
    Here... http://www.poiedit.com/index.htm
    Or maybe...
    ITN Converter
    Here... http://www.benichou-software.com/

Stay Safe... ATB YFM
  • Lost_Soul
    Supreme Pioneer
    @YamFazMan

POIEdit - Wow, that is a blast from the past .................. B)

I believe I did use that software back in ~2004 in conjunction with a Navman ( they were very advanced at the time), but like the Navman it does not appear to have been updated for some 14 years...............

I mentioned I use ITN Converter in my opening remarks.

I tried reusing POI Editor today (using Google Chrome + opening in an Incognito Window) and again it failed to read both a gpx and csv file that my Garmin reads successfully. The errors were as mentioned above, viz missing favourites completely or the name of the favourite is missing. This is exactly what @PliSsK experienced, so there is obviously some differences in the way theses files are created and treated by the different software packages.

Although you mention you use the software to correct ov2 files, I assume you have also tried reading both a gpx and csv file?
  • PliSsK
    Apprentice Seeker
    Lost_Soul wrote: »
    @PliSsK

So you use the Mr Stickee to attach the sat nav to your dash along with the default suction cup windscreen stand? I didn't like the poor choice fo colour schemes of the TomTom but the general layout was user friendlier than Garmin whilst driving I found. Yes the Premium is sluggish I imagine they will bring out a faster version soon?? I just sold both my warranty replacement Garmin 66 and the TomTom Premium so need to buy another one, so am chewing it over. At one point I was thinking of maybe using both the 66 and Premium X but as they were sold I can choose a different screen size.
  • Lost_Soul
    Supreme Pioneer
    @PliSsK

Yes, as I tend to leave my Sat Navs installed in the car all the time, I use the 'Mr Stickee Suction Cup Buddy’ on all my mounts which improves matters considerably, sometimes it makes the connection too strong.......... (plastic round mounting disk + Mr Stickee + the Sat Nav )

Don't hold your breath, TomTom does not move swiftly releasing devices, they did bring out a 'supposedly faster' device - the Go Discover and whilst it moves from menu to menu quickly, overall planning a route is no faster than the Go Premium. It has no built in Sim (aka Garmin), has for me a significantly reduced Traffic detection range and you cannot import POI's , has annual fees for speed cameras, no phone linking for calls / messages, live services for fuel is intermittent and out of date and car parking data I have only seen work once etc etc etc.

I am still deliberating on which model to keep, the TomTom goes through a daily cycle of randomly rebooting, not receiving destinations, losing voice instructions and I get totally stressed with it misbehaving constantly, but it has some redeeming features once it finally sorts itself out after multiple reboots - louder speed camera alerts, average speed zone reporting and yes although the screen interface is dumbed down, some information is easier to read just a pity that it is too slow and has so many outstanding flaws that TomTom do not seem able to correct.
  • PliSsK
    Apprentice Seeker
    @Lost_Soul Thanks for your input. Well I thought I might get a Garmin whilst waiting for the next release of the Premium, but I ended up buying another Premium 6 anyway just now. I never had the rebooting issue with my old Premium X, if anything it generally felt more robust software wise than any of the Garmins I had, 71 or 66. The Garmins were very flakey when connecting to my Mac, I'd have to disconnect and reconnect them a lot, the 71 appeared as a separate drive but the 66 didn't, I think that was intentional as if you didn't eject the 71 before unplugging it you got a warning, as you'd expect, it was annoying. So I may try adding each destination as a favourite.
  • Lost_Soul
    Supreme Pioneer
    Hi @PliSsK

I am still deliberating, but currently have both system working in tandem.............. :)

I have never had any of the issues you referred to, but I am using a Windows PC and with all my Garmin's they do appear as a separate device and I use File Explorer to drag n drop Favourites or Map themes I have created. I seem to have more vagaries associated with Tomtom than Garmin!

And my wife moans (correctly) that I spend more time accumulating more stress with the Tomtom system - my current pain is getting Tomtom to accept POI changes; i.e. where a POI is clearly located incorrectly ~0.5miles away, Tomtom just rejects my submission despite my supplying evidence to the contrary.

It is strange how each user appears to have different issues, there is a chap on here that would not have anyone say a bad thing about a Tomtom, then he started having the same issues that a few of us had been experiencing, that he initially refused to believe. B)

I have said it before; if you could combine the good parts from Tomtom & Garmin, then we could have the makings of a decent Sat Nav system. o:)
  • PliSsK
    Apprentice Seeker
    @Lost_Soul

I seem to have been sent the wrong sat nav by the seller I got mine from, they sent me a Go 600 which is an older model and has no GPRS. One thing it did highlight though was that it kept rebooting and was getting a blank screen when i connected it via USB, it would sometimes manage to display the map then the screen went blank. I tried another cable I had lying around and it worked normally after that, can now charge it up. It seems the power from the supplied cable was intermittent and the battery was dead hence when the screen went blank after booting up as it defaults to sleep with no power source. Not sure if that is the cause of other ppl having their device randomly rebooting or not. The connection between the cable and socket on the device or suction cup didn't feel very secure whereas it did with my other cable.
  • Lost_Soul
    Supreme Pioneer
    @PliSsK

That sounds like a claim for "not as described" if you received a Go 600 (first released in 2013) instead of a Go Premium (2019). Hopefully you will get a refund. :)

Changing cables was the first thing I checked and it made no difference - I do need to get around to putting the devices into Recovery mode to see if that will change the random rebooting - preferably though would be a correction update from TomTom who appear to have hit the doldrums where historic issues just remain unresolved for years and of late more bugs just seem to be occurring………… :/
  • PliSsK
    Apprentice Seeker
    edited April 2
    Lost_Soul wrote: »
    @PliSsK
    That sounds like a claim for "not as described" if you received a Go 600 (first released in 2013) instead of a Go Premium (2019). Hopefully you will get a refund. :)

Oh I will lol it was just some newb seller. I thought I'd do them the courtesy of full charging it before returning it at their expense. I noticed the 2013 date when I checked in the about settings and saw the model number. Funnily enough the user interface doesn't seem that much slower!

• PliSsK
    Apprentice Seeker
    edited April 3
    The seller is ignoring the case lol will require ebay intervention, as it's listed as 'no returns', it seems he's one of these narcissists who thinks the customer is always wrong, even though he must have known he was passing on a unit with undeclared faults let alone describing it incorrectly as the wrong nav unit. This will not go well for him. Funnily enough the seller who sold me the GO Premium X didn't include the car charger and said he would send it but never did and started ignoring me chasing him up until i raised a case and mysteriously it appeared a few days later. ;-)