Slow search on GO App

Ubuntu
Ubuntu Registered Users Posts: 38
Outstanding Explorer
A friend who owns and uses the Tomtom go application like me has a problem with the SEARCH function.

When he searches for an address or a place, this search takes several seconds before any result is displayed.

I specify that his smartphone is a Samsung under Android 11 and that the application is updated from the Google play.

Thank you in advance for your help.
Tagged:

Comments

• rider1rider
    rider1rider Registered Users Posts: 1,269
    Exalted Pioneer
    is map installed on the phone memory
  • Ubuntu
    Outstanding Explorer
    edited January 13
    is map installed on the phone memory

Thank you for your answer.

It uses the official version of the play store and also, if I'm not mistaken, it is anyway impossible to install the maps on the Micro SD card with Android 11.

He has 2 smartphones:
    his main one a Samsung with this anomaly with the SEARCH function.

And a second Chinese smartphone that does not have this bug with the same Tomtom Go application.

• lampard
    lampard Administrators Posts: 5,769
    Hi @Ubuntu

Can you check if there's a difference when you disable/enable the online search from TomTom Services> Online Search?

Regards, lampard
  • Ubuntu
    Outstanding Explorer
    I will ask to do that and get back to you.

Thank you for your response.
  • Ubuntu
    Outstanding Explorer
    Here is his response:

Concerning Tomtom there is no difference in the search results depending on whether I activate the online search setting or not (This is indeed what allowed me to conclude that the online search does not work)
    The only difference in behavior is that if I uncheck the online search box, the answers are instantaneous whereas checking the box waits about 6 seconds before the answers are displayed. I attribute this annoying delay to the fact that there is a watchdog. In my opinion, the application waits for Internet access, but this wait is capped at these famous 6 seconds, otherwise the application would block indefinitely purely and simply in case of poor Internet access.

Note that the Internet search does not work, but the traffic information works normally, as well as the online sync with Tomtom MyDrive. And I have no problem with online map updates

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)
  • szachowa
    szachowa Administrators, Staff Posts: 471 Staff
    Hi @Ubuntu , just to be sure, have you compared search results after waiting for 6 seconds (with online search enabled) to results when you disable online search?
    I want to be absolutely sure that you get results from onboard search.
  • Ubuntu
    Outstanding Explorer
    Here is his answer:

When the online search is not working (i.e. if I don't fiddle with the networks, switching from wifi to 4G or vice versa) I get exactly the same thing with or without the online search activated

When the online search is activated, I don't get any answer before 6 seconds, and the answers I get after these 6 seconds are exactly the same as offline

The question leads me to believe that the friendly forum person may have understood that I had unsatisfactory answers in the first 6 seconds, which were then replaced by relevant answers from the online search.

This is not the case. As I said, I don't get any answer before 6 seconds, and I guess that tired, not being able to access the Internet, the TT application finally gives up the online search and gives me the answers that are those of the offline mode

So I never get the results of the online search. Never

It's only when I do my network switching (wifi to 4G) that it unblocks and everything works normally as long as I don't close the application

But this manipulation which consists in switching from WIFI to 4G or conversely according to where I start first, I can only do it at home. In the car I don't have a Wifi network to switch to

If I just turn off 4G and turn it back on, it doesn't unlock the search.

Thanks in advance for your answer.

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)