My TomTom originally had all of europe, now I only have Eastern Zone

minesapasty
minesapasty Registered Users Posts: 6
New Seeker
When I first purchased my Tom Tom Start 50/5 it had the maps for the whole of Europe on it. Over time I have tried to update, and somehow have managed to lose some of the maps. I need both the Eastern Zone maps and South Western Zone maps. It says that there is enough room to load both but doesn't allow me to save both.

Best Answers

• Willy875
    Willy875 Registered Users Posts: 6,523
    Elite Voyager
    Answer ✓
    Check back tomorrow, moderator @VikramK will review your account.
  • DougLap
    DougLap Posts: 10,039
    Superuser
    Answer ✓
    Hi @minesapasty

As @Willy875 has suggested look back here later to see what @VikramK has to say. In the meantime regarding only being able to download one Europe area maybe this will explain it.

When the Europe maps started to get too big for some units TT offered Mapzones by offering various regions of Europe. So for example I could have Western Europe which covered my country but if I wanted Eastern Europe I had to link the TT unit to my PC and ask for the Eastern region. When this region was then loaded onto the device it replaced the Western Map not added as a further map. The idea being that the smaller maps are being offered to enable people to have, on the limited space on their devices, the area that they needed at the time. If you could load both Europe regions then that would take up more space than the full Europe map.

Doug
  • YamFazMan
    YamFazMan Posts: 21,141
     Superuser
    edited January 11 Answer ✓
    Hi
    @minesapasty
    Welcome to the site...
    The early NAV4 like the Start 50/55 devices the Maps fitted easily onto the 8GB of on-board Memory, but the Map sizes increases with every update...
    Now the 8GB limit on-board Memory size on the NAV4 devices is an unfortunate, but real Catch22 situation....
    The latest NAV4 Full Europe Map size is now around 9GB
    @VikramK or @lampard one of the Forum Moderators pick this type of problem and add a small Map to the Account to get past the 'Catch22'
    Note... You may also receive a 'No Maps Found' error warning on the device....

See Catch22... https://discussions.tomtom.com/en/discussion/comment/1686043/#Comment_1686043

Stay Safe.... ATB YFM
  • VikramK
    VikramK Administrators Posts: 14,298
    Answer ✓
    Hi @minesapasty
    Yes, the 8 GB internal memory is not enough to install the full map of Europe due to the increased size. I have activated a different map version of Europe that will allow you to install smaller map countries/regions based on your travel preference.

Using a 16 GB SD card is also an alternative to get the full map of Europe installed.

Thanks, Vikram.
  • Willy875
    Elite Voyager
    Answer ✓
    Normal if you have downloaded several map areas to complete your route.
    Each time your route stops at the limit of your map.

You must download the full Europe map to make your trip.

Answers

• Willy875
    Elite Voyager
    In my opinion, you can only install one area of the Europe map install the full Europe map if there is not enough space on the device inserted an Sd card.
  • minesapasty
    New Seeker
    edited January 10
    I have always been able to use my device when travelling from my home in UK to my mother-in-laws in Ukraine, now I can't. so I do not understand your comment with regard to only being able to have one area of Europe map installed
  • Willy875
    Elite Voyager
    Answer ✓
    Check back tomorrow, moderator @VikramK will review your account.
  • DougLap
    DougLap Posts: 10,039
    Superuser
    Answer ✓
    Hi @minesapasty

As @Willy875 has suggested look back here later to see what @VikramK has to say. In the meantime regarding only being able to download one Europe area maybe this will explain it.

When the Europe maps started to get too big for some units TT offered Mapzones by offering various regions of Europe. So for example I could have Western Europe which covered my country but if I wanted Eastern Europe I had to link the TT unit to my PC and ask for the Eastern region. When this region was then loaded onto the device it replaced the Western Map not added as a further map. The idea being that the smaller maps are being offered to enable people to have, on the limited space on their devices, the area that they needed at the time. If you could load both Europe regions then that would take up more space than the full Europe map.

Doug
  • YamFazMan
     Superuser
    edited January 11 Answer ✓
    Hi
    @minesapasty
    Welcome to the site...
    The early NAV4 like the Start 50/55 devices the Maps fitted easily onto the 8GB of on-board Memory, but the Map sizes increases with every update...
    Now the 8GB limit on-board Memory size on the NAV4 devices is an unfortunate, but real Catch22 situation....
    The latest NAV4 Full Europe Map size is now around 9GB
    @VikramK or @lampard one of the Forum Moderators pick this type of problem and add a small Map to the Account to get past the 'Catch22'
    Note... You may also receive a 'No Maps Found' error warning on the device....

See Catch22... https://discussions.tomtom.com/en/discussion/comment/1686043/#Comment_1686043

Stay Safe.... ATB YFM
  • VikramK
    VikramK Administrators Posts: 14,298
    Answer ✓
    Hi @minesapasty
    Yes, the 8 GB internal memory is not enough to install the full map of Europe due to the increased size. I have activated a different map version of Europe that will allow you to install smaller map countries/regions based on your travel preference.

Using a 16 GB SD card is also an alternative to get the full map of Europe installed.

Thanks, Vikram.
  • minesapasty
    New Seeker
    Thank you for the maps, I will get the ones that I need loaded, hopefully that will get us ready for our trip..... if we can go this year, we have had to miss the last two (for obvious reasons).
  • minesapasty
    New Seeker
    I am starting to think that I am getting too old for all of this modern techno stuff....... I have downloaded all of the maps that I need to get me from Cornwall UK to Kherson, UKR...... tried to plot a route, as I used to, and it says that there is no possible route. By making this awkward, is this just a way for Tom Tom to get me to buy a new unit?
  • Willy875
    Elite Voyager
    Answer ✓
    Normal if you have downloaded several map areas to complete your route.
    Each time your route stops at the limit of your map.

You must download the full Europe map to make your trip.
  • minesapasty
    New Seeker
    My arms are shorter than the depth of my pockets, but rather than waste any more money buying SD cards that don't work in my TomTom, and messing about with downloading maps that don't seem to connect to each other, I think that it will be quicker and easier to buy a new unit. Thank you for all of your help and advice.
  • YamFazMan
     Superuser
    edited January 11
    Hi
    @minesapasty
    The Start 50/55 devices do have a Micro SDHC Memory slot....
    The 16GB Micro SDHC memory card is working OK in My Start 60/65...

qcsei0l93yhc.jpg
    Tomtom Video Micro SDHC Memory slot locations....
    See... https://discussions.tomtom.com/en/discussion/1037555/where-to-find-the-memory-card-slot-on-your-device

Stay Safe... ATB YFM