Why is the app being removed from the app store?

londonjl
londonjl Registered Users Posts: 8
Master Explorer
I've just seen the VIO app will be removed at the end of January 2022. Why? I have a perfectly good VIO that has been really useful on my scooter. I get that TomTom may not want to support updates or the unit, despite it having a ridiculously short lifespan, but why remove the app, why not leave it there? This is really not good and means if I want a bike nav system that works I am forced to buy yet another unit, which will be a Garmin at half the price of the very large TomTom unit.

Can you please just leave the app??
Tagged:

Comments

• Willy875
    Willy875 Registered Users Posts: 6,523
    Elite Voyager
    Your VIO device and app might continue to function.

Your VIO device and app might continue to function. However, depending on your phone and its operating system they may stop functioning in the future, and the VIO will not work without the app. If your phone installs an update to its operating system, it's also possible that the VIO app is removed after the update.

View FAQ: https://help.tomtom.com/hc/en-gb/articles/360017783479-TomTom-VIO-ayant-été-arrêté
  • londonjl
    Master Explorer
    Yes, I read the article.

'the VIO will not work without the app'.

Why not leave the app so if I need to reinstall it I can? I have apps from 2012 that still work and are available but haven't been updated. Why not leave this one?

Please can you answer my question?
  • Willy875
    Elite Voyager
    londonjl wrote:
    Please can you answer my question?
    I am a user like you and only Tomtom customer service can answer your question.
  • londonjl
    Master Explorer
    ah thank you and my apologies. let's hope customer services responds
  • Niall
    Niall Posts: 11,140
    Superuser
    @VikramK
    Please supply an official response for such a crass decision for
    TomTom wrote:
    If you delete the VIO app you won't be able to reinstall it, as it is no longer available in the App Store or on Google Play.
    in response to
    londonjl wrote:
    Why not leave the app so if I need to reinstall it I can? I have apps from 2012 that still work and are available but haven't been updated. Why not leave this one?
  • Willy875
    Elite Voyager
    What I understand is if we change the phone or if we delete the application, it will no longer be possible to reinstall it.
  • londonjl
    Master Explorer
    @Willy875 that's correct. so if you need to change your phone tomorrow, you lose your VIO.

@VikramK can you please advise?
  • londonjl
    Master Explorer
    @VikramK any thoughts on this please?
  • Luíscandeias
    Luíscandeias Registered Users Posts: 1
    New Seeker
    It's a shame... if this is the decision taken by TomTom, I will not be purchasing products from this company again. I have a VIO, and until relatively recently I was completely surrendered to its performance... to point out that I've had it for a few years. A few months ago I noticed that it blocked, or turned off, whenever the assistant provided driving directions. I thought that this was due to a problem with the software... I uninstalled the application and reinstalled it, but unfortunately the application continued to work with the same error. Now, I've realized that the application is no longer available and that, if there are updates to the mobile operating system, or if you change your mobile phone, the application is no longer available... but what is this bullshit? Is this how Tomtom takes care of its community? How many of these devices were sold? How many users are in this situation? I paid for a device, which is not broken, and those who should protect me withdraw the application, which creates conditions for me not to be able to continue using the VIO? I will not buy any device from this brand again... there are many on the market and new ones are always appearing.
  • londonjl
    Master Explorer
    @VikramK
    No response at all and no more app. Pretty appalling customer service and support. So these things are now just paper weights having cost a fair bit of money. I don't understand why the app cannot be left available even if no longer supported or updated.

I moved from tomtom a while back to garmin because that time the unit I had, although working perfectly, was also discontinued. The garmin unit I replaced it with is still supported, many years later and doesn't rely on an app.

Should have learnt my lesson. Never again.
  • Yourban
    Yourban Registered Users Posts: 2
    New Seeker
    Very suprised that TomTom will discontinue the "Lifetime" support of the Vio. Suprised that they just can do that. My Vio still works but as of january 2022 no app en no map updates. My vio is essentialy a paperweight. The requirements for the app are small because it all runs on the mobile phone. Same for the seize of te maps. The Vio is just a screen. Imo bs from TtomTom.
    Please keep supporting the Vio with the app and the maps.
  • Willy875
    Elite Voyager
    @Yourban

** "Lifetime" means for the lifetime of the device, i.e. the length of time that TomTom supports your device, providing you with updates, services, contents or accessories.
    A device reaches the end of its life when all of these services are no longer available.
  • Yourban
    Yourban Registered Users Posts: 2
    New Seeker
    Willy875 wrote: »
    @Yourban

** "Lifetime" means for the lifetime of the device, i.e. the length of time that TomTom supports your device, providing you with updates, services, contents or accessories.
    A device reaches the end of its life when all of these services are no longer available.

"Lifetime" of the device in case is longer than the support from TomTom. So, according to your reaction TT may decide to stop with updates, services, contents or accessories at any time and by doing so making a device absolute. This is not what a costumer may expect for a device. A costumer may expect a working device within a reasonable time after purchase. Such time may be expected to be longer based on the promise of Lifetime.

TT should provide me and other Vio owners with a working solution.
  • londonjl
    Master Explorer
    Tom Tom - for reference, I just found my old Garmin 3790, I bought it in 2011. I just pugged it in after about 7 years......there's a software and map update. 11 years later and it is still supported. Just saying....
  • bluefoam
    bluefoam Registered Users Posts: 6
    Apprentice Seeker
    I am very angry at this. Tom Tom abandoning their customers... unless a solution is provided I will never buy a TomTom product again.

I tried to contact them to claim the 'navigation subscription' they have offered and I got to a dead end... no viable way to email them or to ask how I claim the subscription. I went to great lengths to get the Vio and now they've just put their fingers up at me.
  • Willy875
    Elite Voyager
    If you bought your VIO less than two years ago, Tomtom can offer you a subscription to the new GO Navigation application

https://help.tomtom.com/hc/en-gb/articles/360017783479-TomTom-VIO-ayant-été-arrêté

Contact customer service

How to contact TomTom customer support by chat or email
    https://help.tomtom.com/hc/en-gb/articles/360015568919/

How to contact TomTom customer support by email
    https://help.tomtom.com/hc/en-gb/requests/new?ticket_form_id=360000679560