Why is the app being removed from the app store?

londonjl
londonjl Registered Users Posts: 6
Apprentice Traveler
I've just seen the VIO app will be removed at the end of January 2022. Why? I have a perfectly good VIO that has been really useful on my scooter. I get that TomTom may not want to support updates or the unit, despite it having a ridiculously short lifespan, but why remove the app, why not leave it there? This is really not good and means if I want a bike nav system that works I am forced to buy yet another unit, which will be a Garmin at half the price of the very large TomTom unit.

Can you please just leave the app??
Tagged:

Comments

• Willy875
    Willy875 Registered Users Posts: 3,914
    Revered Voyager
    Your VIO device and app might continue to function.

Your VIO device and app might continue to function. However, depending on your phone and its operating system they may stop functioning in the future, and the VIO will not work without the app. If your phone installs an update to its operating system, it's also possible that the VIO app is removed after the update.

View FAQ: https://help.tomtom.com/hc/en-gb/articles/360017783479-TomTom-VIO-ayant-été-arrêté
  • londonjl
    Apprentice Traveler
    Yes, I read the article.

'the VIO will not work without the app'.

Why not leave the app so if I need to reinstall it I can? I have apps from 2012 that still work and are available but haven't been updated. Why not leave this one?

Please can you answer my question?
  • Willy875
    Revered Voyager
    londonjl wrote:
    Please can you answer my question?
    I am a user like you and only Tomtom customer service can answer your question.
  • londonjl
    Apprentice Traveler
    ah thank you and my apologies. let's hope customer services responds
  • Niall
    Niall Posts: 11,089
    Superuser
    @VikramK
    Please supply an official response for such a crass decision for
    TomTom wrote:
    If you delete the VIO app you won't be able to reinstall it, as it is no longer available in the App Store or on Google Play.
    in response to
    londonjl wrote:
    Why not leave the app so if I need to reinstall it I can? I have apps from 2012 that still work and are available but haven't been updated. Why not leave this one?
  • Willy875
    Revered Voyager
    What I understand is if we change the phone or if we delete the application, it will no longer be possible to reinstall it.
  • londonjl
    Apprentice Traveler
    @Willy875 that's correct. so if you need to change your phone tomorrow, you lose your VIO.

@VikramK can you please advise?
  • londonjl
    Apprentice Traveler
    @VikramK any thoughts on this please?