GPRS never connected on Go 6200. How can I contact TomTom customer support - open service ticket ? — TomTom Discussions

GPRS never connected on Go 6200. How can I contact TomTom customer support - open service ticket ?

Tikras
Tikras Registered Users Posts: 6
New Seeker
Hi,
Since the very beginning, I had no GPRS connection active on my TomTom Go 6200 despite SIM card installed in the unit. I can see IMEI and ID number of that SIM card, just shows GPRS status as disconnected and this is been all the time since I purchased it brand new from Amazon 2 years ago. BTW, there it was advertised as traffic always connected through independent SIM data, which never worked. I did try to google for options to contact TomTom customer services, but run of and ideas... I cannot see even option to open a service ticked with TomTom... Please help.

Best Answer

Answers

• Willy875
    Willy875 Registered Users Posts: 3,758
    Revered Voyager
    Accepted Answer
    Hi

To contact customer service

How to contact TomTom customer support by chat or email
    https://help.tomtom.com/hc/en-gb/articles/360015568919/

How to contact TomTom customer support by email
    https://help.tomtom.com/hc/en-gb/requests/new?ticket_form_id=360000679560

If the links direct you to the home page, delete your cookies or change your browser.
  • DougLap
    DougLap Posts: 9,383
    Superuser
    Hi @Tikras

Look back here tomorrow to see what @VikramK has to say after he has checked your units settings on the TT Servers.

Doug
  • Tikras
    New Seeker
    Hi,

Thanks for the replies and suggestions. I've been on the support webpage many times, but the problem is silly, the ticket field where I am supposed to type is inactive what was driving me mad! :) See screenshot attached. When clicked on "contact us" it opens the chat window which is flashing rapidly kind of 5 times a second, so impossible to use this too. Tried this on chrome and edge... Must be something with addons in my browsers, there are a lot of filtering and add-stoppers installed... Before trying to download and install a clean browser I opened ticked by the link https://help.tomtom.com/hc/en-gb/requests/new?ticket_form_id=360000679560 and will see how it goes. :) Many thanks to Willy875

by0clirj0ikh.jpg
  • YamFazMan
    YamFazMan Posts: 20,480
    Superuser
    Hi
    @Tikras
    GPRS SIM connection on the Tomtom Live devices....
    There are 3 Data connection options that can have a higher/priority/override the Built-in GPRS SIM....
    To check the Data Connection status....
    Tap 4Dot (.... Menu) --> Setting --> System --> About…
    Scroll down to Data Connection & GPRS Status....
    What does the device report???
    Is the GPRS Status... Connected ???

Further Info...
    See... https://discussions.tomtom.com/en/discussion/comment/1752190/#Comment_1752190

Stay Safe... ATB YFM
  • Tikras
    New Seeker
    Hi @YamFazMan ,

Yes, I've done this a is copy of my help desk ticket which is answering your questions.

"I'm having a problem with my TomTom Go 6200 WiFi since I ordered it from Amazon about 2 years ago. I never had Live Traffic services connected from the device internal SIM card with GPRS on it. As soon as Bluetooth of WiFi tethering connections lost the device it immediately was disconnected from TomTom cloud Live Traffic services... In the beginning, I did not understand this, later on, came back to this issue and started checking in device settings->about section. There was the culprit, GPRS status always shown as disconnected although SIM card IMEI and ID numbers are there. Can you please help to re-activate the SIM card which wasn't active when I bought the brand new item for some reason? There are details below;
    Serial Number;
    Application version;
    IMEI;
    SIM ID;
    GPRS Model;
    "

Thanks

• YamFazMan
    Superuser
    edited January 7
    Hi
    @Tikras
    Tikras wrote: »
    (Snip)
    Here are details below;
    Serial Number;
    Application version;
    IMEI;
    SIM ID;
    GPRS Model;
    "
    (Snip)
    Are you saying your device only shows the above Info ??? i.e... No associated SIM ID numbers displayed ???
    On my GO Premium the 'About Menu' displays the associated SIM ID numbers displayed....
    (Note I have pixelated SIM ID Info)....

gbb2lpjewqqh.jpg
    i5v770nzcoxg.jpg
    Note... Australia & Switzerland have ended the 2G phone services so no GPRS SIM signal....
    Tomtom video shows what you can do when the Traffic services are not working on your navigation device....

Be aware that a Live Device... The SIM card is automatically deactivated if the Live Traffic on the device has NOT been used for 18 months....
    Tomtom sends emails to the affected users and give 28 days notice before deactivating the SIM card... in the above circumstance the deactivated SIM cannot be reactivated....

Maybe worth consideration if the device is out of guarantee....... I think the SIM contacts oxidize over time and removing and replacing the SIM a few times remakes the connection....

The SIM cards for the Live NAV3, NAV4 & NAV5 (Wi-Fi) devices are located under concealed flaps and/or stickers in various location on the devices....
    On the GO 5200/6200/Premium... The SIM Card is situated under the sticker bearing the serial number....
    acrlkaji0g4o.jpg
    I think the SIM contacts tarnish/oxidize over time, and removing and replacing the SIM a few times remakes the connection....
    With the device turned OFF...
    Carefully remove the sticker... It's advisable to use Antistatic precautions when handling the SIM... You will need a pair of fine pointed tweezers to remove the SIM....
    If you pull out the SIM a little way, and reinsert it, repeat this a few times, it should now remake a good connection....
    I used double-sided sticky tape to replace the Serial Number sticker....

Warning... The above will void your Tomtom guarantee....
    All the usual disclaimers apply, all the above is at your own discretion

Stay safe... ATB YFM

• Tikras
    New Seeker
    Hi @YamFazMan ,

It does show all the above-mentioned numbers, that's why I know the SIM card is there.
    Just GPRS status is indicated as "disconnected"
    I found that article earlier, and even tried to remove it but no luck.

<"I think the SIM contacts tarnish/oxidize over time, and removing and replacing the SIM a few times remakes the connection....
    With the device turned OFF...
    Carefully remove the sticker... It's advisable to use Antistatic precautions when handling the SIM... You will need a pair of fine pointed tweezers to remove the SIM....
    If you pull out the SIM a little way, and reinsert it, repeat this a few times, it should now remake a good connection....
    I used double-sided sticky tape to replace the Serial Number sticker....about locating and re-inserting SIM cards.">

The SIM card in my device is inserted in such a way, that is sitting deep inside the slot and the slot is so tight, that there is no way to catch the card to pull it out even with a precise tool-set, even slightly moving it is not possible. There is only way to remove it from my device is to disassemble it it means removing LCD panel, which I did not want to go.

BTW, there is no other response than an instant automatic reply yet to that ticket opened yesterday from TomTom Customer Support... waiting...

Thanks

Regards

Tikras

• YamFazMan
    Superuser
    edited January 7
    Hi
    @Tikras
    I use a pair of 11cm long Lab Grade precision fine tweezers... All good never had a problem removing a SIM Card....

Stay Safe... ATB YFM
  • Tikras
    New Seeker
    Well, there is two pieces of news, one good another not so...
    Good one, I received a response from customer services, yeahhh ! +1 :)
    Not so good, I got the feeling they did not read what I wrote on the service ticket or it was an automated reply from ChatBoot. Hopeless... :(
    All conversation copy-pasted below, latest reply on the top, original service ticked in the bottom;
    Dear Nikky,

Thanks for your response.
    Having read your response email I can see that you did not properly understand that issue with the device because you are writing about activating TomTom Live services, which is indicating that you did not read carefully all information provided on the service ticket.
    The problem is not in that device is not able to connect to TomTom live services at all, but it is in that the SIM card is not active in the device thus not being able to connect to TomTom live services and provide live traffic data when there are no WiFi and Bluetooth connections available. When the device is connected to Wifi internet it is connected to TomTom live services and traffic data is received. The GPRS connection never worked on this device since it was purchased brand new from Amazon shop. Here is the Amazon order number. ORDER #####
    Also, all details of the device had been filled in upon ticket opening and they are still there, just in the conversation thread below. Well, I do copy-paste them to this message again and answer your questions.
    Photos you requested are attached;

The last time device was connected to Wifi just when I was writing this email and at the same time, it was connected to TomTom Live services (via Wifi).

The Country United Kingdom.
    Serial Number; ####
    Application version; 21.200.0003.411 (0)
    GPRS status; Disconnected
    IMEI; #####
    SIM ID;####
    GPRS Model; 16.01.202

All I’m asking you to do it’s only one thing, activate your SIM card, please.

Thanks

Kind Regards

Tikras.

Sent: 07 January 2022 18:27
    To: #####
    Subject: [TomTom] Re: Ref #1412954 | TomTom Go 6200 WiFi

##- Please type your reply above this line -##

Dear Tikras,
    Recently you contacted us at TomTom Customer Care. Your request (#####) has been updated. To add additional comments, reply to this email.
    Nikky (TomTom)
    7 Jan 2022, 19:26 CET
    #unbabel

Dear TomTom Customer,

Thank you for contacting TomTom Customer Support. My name is Nikky, and I will be assisting you today.

The reference number for your query is #####.

I understand that you are facing an issue in using the Traffic service on your GO 6200 device.

I can imagine how frustrating that must be. Please be assured that I will put my best efforts to assist you.

You may face this issue when a device is unable to connect to the network provider.

As we are looking forward to resolving this issue, I would request you to please follow the steps mentioned in the below link which will activate the LIVE Services on your GO 6200 device.

It might be a possibility that you have already tried the below provided steps, but I would still request you to please try following the steps one more time as I have made some corrections in the back end. Once you click on the below link, please click on the list with GO 6200 Wi-Fi in it and then follow the mentioned steps

Why are my LIVE Services not working?

Once you follow the above mentioned link, try using your device. In case the issue persists, I have to check this case with the technical team and for doing this I would request you to please provide me with the below information from your device.

• SN:
    • SIM ID from device:
    • Customer country:
    • Troubleshooting done:
    • Network connection Status:
    IMPORTANT (NEEDS TO BE FILLED)

• Date and Last location when the issue occurred (Country and City):
    • Does the Services work/not work in another city/country (If no, mention which citits/countries it does not work)?:
    • Was the device connected to Wi-Fi in the past 24 hours?
    • Picture of the map screen without a route planned. (Make sure the map is zoomed in to see if Traffic appears on the device)
    • Picture of the About screen that displays the GPRS connection.

Once you provide me with the above information, I can proceed further and escalate this case to our technical team.

Looking further to hear from you.

With Kind Regards

Nikky J.
    The TomTom Customer Care Team

Tikras
    6 Jan 2022, 23:58 CET
    Hello,
    I'm having a problem with my TomTom Go 6200 WiFi since I ordered it from Amazon about 2 years ago. I never had Live Traffic services connected from the device internal SIM card with GPRS on it. As soon as Bluetooth of WiFi tethering connections lost the device it immediately was disconnected from TomTom cloud Live Traffic services... In the beginning, I did not understand this, later on, came back to this issue and started checking in device settings->about section. There was the culprit, GPRS status always shown as disconnected although SIM card IMEI and ID numbers are there. Can you please help to re-activate the SIM card which wasn't active when I bought the brand new item for some reason? There are details below;
    Serial Number; ####
    Application version; ####
    IMEI; #####
    SIM ID; ####
    GPRS Model; 16.01.202
    ----
    Thanks
    Regards
    Tikras

• Tikras
    New Seeker
    Hi All,

just to update this. Since this thread started I had a long email conversation with TomTom customer support and it was very difficult to make them understand what the problem actually is. At the end (I hope they understood it right) soft reset and then factory reset if the first one did not help was suggested to do. This made me a sad smile, I wish they knew how many times I've done soft resets and quite a few times factory resets too. I've done all this once again and that GPRS has no change, all the same- disconnected. Then emailed TomTom to let them know, the customer support replied with one thing, send it back and pay postage fees and €105 repair fee... To me, this looks like a bad deal for this outdated device and having in mind that Garmin Drive 61LMT-S 6-Inch Sat Nav with Lifetime Map Updates for UK, Ireland, Full Europe and Free Live Traffic cost £84.95 on the Amazon... :(