Why does navigation algorithm insist on following it's chosen route when I'm obviously not? — TomTom Discussions

Why does navigation algorithm insist on following it's chosen route when I'm obviously not?

HLF45
HLF45 Registered Users Posts: 5
Apprentice Seeker
I often use the app (Ver 3.3.31 on a Samsung Android cell phone) when going to places I know the way so as not to miss a turn, especially at night. I pick destination and then what I believe is the closest to the route I typically use. Last week I was about 1/2 way to my destination and the App said 'take a right' while I decided to go straight. For about 2 - 3 miles it kept suggesting right turns apparently trying to get me back on its route even though the time to destination was getting longer, at one point, as much as 12 minutes more in what was to be about 30 minutes when I first decided to ignore the 'turn right' instruction. Then after about 3 - 4 miles (all 'back roads', not major highways) it just stopped providing recalculated directions or even showing my progress on the map. My app was set for 'fastest route' not 'fuel saver'. My old TomTom device which I used for years until they stopped supporting it, would easily recalculate the trip when I ignored an instruction.

Best Answer

• VikramK
    VikramK Registered Users, Administrators Posts: 13,088
    Accepted Answer
    Hi @HLF45
    Could you share the information below-
    1. Actual route planned-Start point and Destination
    2. Details of the deviated route
    3. Phone model and Android version

If you wish, you can also send me the information via private message by clicking on this link- https://discussions.tomtom.com/en/messages/add/VikramK

The team will require the above information to investigate the issue...

Regards,
    Vikram

Answers

• DougLap
    DougLap Posts: 9,383
    Superuser
    Hi @HLF45

If the route you are following is a Route generated and saved in My Drive and sent to your Device and saved in My Routes then it will always try to take you back to the turning you missed as it is a Breadcrumb route which it will religiously try to follow.

If the route is one you have created in Mydrive and Sent to your unit or you have created on the Device then if you miss a turning it will try to get you back to the route it was following. This will either be by asking you to turn around or take a turning that will get you back to the route. It will continue to try and get you back to the route until continuing the way you have gone is as quick or quicker than it thinks using the original route will be.

For example there is a place I am going too today where when I leave home it will tell me to turn right. I however may well turn left as going that way is only marginally longer time wise. Once I have continued along the left hand route for about 2 miles it will switch to finish the route I am using which is like going around a circle the opposite way.

Doug
  • HLF45
    Apprentice Seeker
    Sorry for the slow response. Thanks for your input.

My TomTom Go device has no My Drive though that is familiar with my old GPS device. I do not save anything in My Routes. When I'm ready to drive anywhere I just either click a recent destination or just do a Search for the place I want to go and try to pick out the most logical selection of the 3 offered routes. Most of my travel is within about 30 miles of home.

To me the old GPS device was pretty quick to decide a new route when I disagree with the offered selection because often I know the front end of the route but it is the back end where I need the help. I was

Finally there is the issue of why the device actually stopped providing directions at all.

Any additional thoughts on the matter would be appreciated.

• Willy875
    Willy875 Registered Users Posts: 3,758
    Revered Voyager
    HLF45 wrote:
    Finally there is the issue of why the device actually stopped providing directions at all.

The loudspeaker is activated?

sswdm929fana.jpeg

look at setting then Guidance prompts Read aloud the first instructions
  • HLF45
    Apprentice Seeker
    Don't know what your suggestions have to do with the route simply stopping but yes the speaker was on and under Guidance, 5 of the 6 options (not foreign street names) were marked on.
  • Willy875
    Willy875 Registered Users Posts: 3,758
    Revered Voyager
    Willy875 wrote: »
    HLF45 wrote:

Sorry, I thought it was the voice instructions you lost.
  • Marek_MkZ
    Marek_MkZ Registered Users Posts: 73
    Supreme Trailblazer
    HLF45 wrote: »
    Sorry for the slow response. Thanks for your input.

My TomTom Go device has no My Drive though that is familiar with my old GPS device. I do not save anything in My Routes. When I'm ready to drive anywhere I just either click a recent destination or just do a Search for the place I want to go and try to pick out the most logical selection of the 3 offered routes. Most of my travel is within about 30 miles of home.

To me the old GPS device was pretty quick to decide a new route when I disagree with the offered selection because often I know the front end of the route but it is the back end where I need the help. I was

Any additional thoughts on the matter would be appreciated.

I've encounter such behavior - maybe once. Possibly apk couldn't find any better road and thus it tried to turn You back to previously calculated one (maybe some wrong map or traffic data). Normally I'm observing that new route is calculated quite fast (maximum one or two times tries to turn You back to original route and then calculates new one) - but once I've got very similar case - many attempts to turn me back to original route then stopping in providing directions. Fortunately ;) due to traffic situation I haven't got occasion to restart route/apk and after next cross (without any guidance - fortunately I knew where to drive) apk calculated new route.
  • HLF45
    Apprentice Seeker
    Interesting that you saw part of the problem so I'm not jinxed. I still have issue that this software is so persistent on following the route you pick when the old GPS, with older algorithms picked up my route change and recalculated quickly, typically after just a couple "go back to your missed route" suggestions. The old device NEVER simply ground to a stop as this one did.

I'm also disappointed that TomTom Tech Support has not responded to this concern and in fact seems to be impossible to reach directly.
  • VikramK
    VikramK Registered Users, Administrators Posts: 13,088
    Accepted Answer
    Hi @HLF45
    Could you share the information below-
    1. Actual route planned-Start point and Destination
    2. Details of the deviated route
    3. Phone model and Android version

If you wish, you can also send me the information via private message by clicking on this link- https://discussions.tomtom.com/en/messages/add/VikramK

The team will require the above information to investigate the issue...

Regards,
    Vikram
  • HLF45
    Apprentice Seeker
    Thanks for your note. I actually went over the same route yesterday as the one I complained about. I picked the route, I deviated from the planned route about 1/2 way to destination as last time. The App tried to suggest an alternate route twice and then accepted my change and modified to follow my desired route.

I do think the App works too hard to find a fuel efficient route, though I believe I have deselected that option, resulting frequently in less than direct options. Most times I can live with that as I typically know 1/2 to 2/3 of my route.

I think we can put an end to this string. Thanks to all who made suggestions.