TomTom Go Android app - SD card storage

NickStrong
NickStrong Registered Users Posts: 5
Apprentice Seeker
Hi - is it possible to use my SD card as maps storage? If so, how?
Many thanks!

Best Answer

• VikramK
    VikramK Administrators Posts: 14,298
    edited January 6 Answer ✓
    I checked with my team to seek more clarification on this.

The recent changes made to the latest Android versions made everything too slow to be able to run our app when maps are installed on a SD/memory card.

We had to program the app such that now it gives preference to the internal memory for the installation of the maps(For all supported Android versions) as long as there is enough space available (without offering any choice).

Thanks, Vikram

Answers

• VikramK
    Hi @NickStrong
    If your phone is running Android 11 or above, then map installation on a SD card is not supported.

Regards
    Vikram.
  • NickStrong
    Apprentice Seeker
    That's a shame, maps really use up a lot of storage!
  • sholm
    sholm Registered Users Posts: 41
    Renowned Wayfarer
    And what if the version is lower than 11?
  • NickStrong
    Apprentice Seeker
    Yes, I'd also like the earlier than Android 11 answer . . . how to?
  • Willy875
    Willy875 Registered Users Posts: 6,523
    Elite Voyager
    Hi
    The maps are installed on the SD when there is not enough internal memory on the phone.
  • VikramK
    edited January 6 Answer ✓
    I checked with my team to seek more clarification on this.

The recent changes made to the latest Android versions made everything too slow to be able to run our app when maps are installed on a SD/memory card.

We had to program the app such that now it gives preference to the internal memory for the installation of the maps(For all supported Android versions) as long as there is enough space available (without offering any choice).

Thanks, Vikram
  • Crusader3020
    Crusader3020 Registered Users Posts: 43
    Renowned Wayfarer
    You can force TT to install on an SD Card by loading the main memory to within 3or4 hundred mg of full - I use movies etc. Then once it's installed with maps etc, clear the excess files out of main memory.
    This works only if you're using Android 10 and less. I've just found this out while trying to do it on a new Samsung S10 which users A11.
    So I'm very disappointed believe me, because the great thing about installing on an SD Card is that you can side load routes as pois, which you can't do with main memory installation.
    This wouldn't matter if TT Drive would export its routes as routes and not tracks as it does. A track is useless if you have a lot of stops on your route.
    This is a fundamental absolute essential in my opinion and I just can't figure why TT can't see this.