Does TomTom have any plans for a new Camper model?

randomgreg
randomgreg Registered Users Posts: 9
Apprentice Seeker
Hello!
I am on the market for a Camper gps. Choosing between Garmin Camper 890 and TomTom Camper at the moment and frankly the Garmin wins at the moment (except for price).

Would love to get TomTom Camper, as I like the interface, traffic, etc, but the current Camper feels a little bit outdated right now (launched at least 3 years ago), resolution is a little low and the unit is a little slow, especially after trying Discover unit. Will the new Camper be added to the new TomTom lineup and if yes, then how soon approximately.

Thank you very much!

Answers

• Willy875
    Willy875 Registered Users Posts: 6,523
    Elite Voyager
    Salut
    In my opinion, you should ask this question to customer service.

How to contact TomTom customer support by chat or email
    https://help.tomtom.com/hc/en-gb/articles/360015568919/
  • randomgreg
    Apprentice Seeker
    Well, there is a specific topic named “pre-sales questions” in discussions, and I do believe I am not the only one interested, so why do you think that the discussions is not the right place?
    Correct me, if I am wrong, and I will switch to the customer support, if I am breaking any rules…
    Thank you for the comment!
  • Willy875
    Elite Voyager
    Tomtom does not use the forum to announce the release of a new GPS.
  • Willy875
    Elite Voyager
    You are on a user forum Tomtom will not confide in us on the announcement of a future GPS
  • randomgreg
    Apprentice Seeker
    Before posting my question I searched the forum to see asked and answered questions about new product releases, for example someone asked a question about Go Expert with a SIM card and it was answered…
    I’ll also ask customer support direct, but I see no reason not to ask here.

“ Tomtom will not confide in us” is not a good attitude, hope it is not of TomTom.
    TomTom, as any business, bases its success on its customers, so I believe that hiding or withdrawing information from the customers is not the best strategy. That said there are circumstances when a company does not want to disclose some information for whatever reason. In this case I would accept an answer to that effect without any issues.

Hope this clarifies my position…
    Thank youfor your opinion though.
  • DougLap
    DougLap Posts: 10,039
    Superuser
    Hi @randomgreg

The Expert with a Sim was announced by Tomtom but then they advised the Autumn release would not take place because of chip supply. problems. No further updates have been released.

Doug
  • randomgreg
    Apprentice Seeker
    Thank you, Doug!

I am aware of the Expert with SIM issue, but I am interested in an updated Camper, and I do not care about the sim/no sim.

My thinking was - if TT introduced the Expert/Discover pair, then maybe they have plans to introduce the third one - Camper, based on the same hardware…

Thank you!
  • DougLap
    DougLap Posts: 10,039
    Superuser
    Hi @randomgreg

Tomtom will not indicate here or anywhere else unless they have officially announced the new unit.

Doug
  • randomgreg
    Apprentice Seeker
    Doug,

How did they indicate Expert with SIM one, and even estimated the release date as of autumn 2021 (before withdrawing)???
  • randomgreg
    Apprentice Seeker
    I would still prefer TomTom to answer my question one way or another, and they won't - there are strong competitors out there. This is just a GPS unit!
    If keeping secrets means more to them than keeping their customers, so be it.
  • Willy875
    Elite Voyager
    edited January 3
    randomgreg wrote: »
    Doug,

How did they indicate Expert with SIM one, and even estimated the release date as of autumn 2021 (before withdrawing)???

Tomtom had announced the exit of the expert with Sim card, this seems to justify announcing on the forum that there will be no GPS with Sim card.

Today we announced the TomTom GO Expert as the new PND for the large vehicle range.
    https://discussions.tomtom.com/en/discussion/1135399/tomtom-go-expert