QuickGPS not updating- TomTom Sports watches

patpalloon1
patpalloon1 Registered Users Posts: 11
Master Explorer
edited January 30 in TomTom Sports
I've had the Spark Music/Cardio GPS watch for over 5 years and despite the software problems and lack of support, I still really like the watch itself. The app problems all started when TT failed to upgrade the app after Android 9. Recently when I use the app to upload activities - I activity gets uploaded to Strava etc and points are shown, but then it skips the QuickGPS update. It just goes straight to 75% and then says up to date but it hasn't updated GPS. It still works if I connect to my PC. I have done the usual steps of factory reset and also deleting the data from the app and relaunching, deleting the TT folder in the phone memory and forgetting the BT connection but so far no luck.

Best Answers

• VikramK
    VikramK Administrators Posts: 13,758
    Answer ✓
    Hello all

A fix has been deployed, the future updates for QuickGPSfix should get installed without any problems..

Thank you
  • margie123
    margie123 Registered Users Posts: 3
    Neophyte Traveler
    Answer ✓
    My watch is updating again. :) Great you still support these watches! Thanks.

Answers

• patpalloon1
    Master Explorer
    edited January 11
    I've had the Spark Music/Cardio GPS watch for over 5 years and despite the software problems and lack of support, I still really like the watch itself. The app problems all started when TT failed to upgrade the app after Android 9. Recently when I use the app to upload activities - I activity gets uploaded to Strava etc and points are shown, but then it skips the QuickGPS update. It just goes straight to 75% and then says up to date but it hasn't updated GPS. It still works if I connect to my PC. I have done the usual steps of factory reset and also deleting the data from the app and relaunching, deleting the TT folder in the phone memory and forgetting the BT connection but so far no luck.
  • Bembo
    Bembo ZentralschweizPosts: 16,855
    Superuser
    edited January 11
    Hallo @patpalloon1
    Bitte schreibe @Jürgen an. Er wird nach seinen Ferien sicher eine Lösung für dich haben.
    lg. Bembo
  • patpalloon1
    Master Explorer
    edited January 11
    Vielen dank.
  • Willy875
    Willy875 Registered Users Posts: 5,377
    Revered Voyager
    edited January 11
  • tfarabaugh
    tfarabaugh Posts: 16,938
    Superuser
    edited January 11
    You may be able to fix it for your watch by following these steps (make sure you have installed the latest version of Connect if prompted):

1) Plug the watch into the computer and in Sports Connect, click the Gear Icon
    2) Press CTRL (Windows) or CMD (MAC) on your keyboard while you hover your mouse over the reset button.
    3) You'll see the reset button turns into a "Turn Off" button.
    4) Click it, disconnect the watch and the screen will go dead.
    5) Reconnect the watch and it will wake up and it should now update as usual.
  • patpalloon1
    Master Explorer
    edited January 11
    Thanks I did try this and hasn't appeared to work. I did get the tick in quickGPS but the watch still wasn't getting a GPS signal and when I looked again the tick symbol had gone and it had the PC symbol again. The app isn't updating the GPS either. I was able to do an activity on the watch as it eventually picked up the GPS signal, it just took a long time. I'll try again but for now it looks like I can't update the GPS either on PC or app. Is it possible the quickGPS update is no longer supported from this year?
  • tfarabaugh
    Superuser
    edited January 11
    I have not heard anything about that and I assume they would announce it far in advance. It could be that the GPS chip in the watch is failing.
  • KlausBorz
    KlausBorz Registered Users Posts: 1
    New Seeker
    edited January 11
    Hi
    I have exactly the same problem. There were no problems until the end of December 2021, and QuickGPS has stopped working since January 2022.

Regards
    Klaus

Mod edit: Machine translated (German)
  • patpalloon1
    Master Explorer
    edited January 11
    Hi there,

Really? Maybe there is a big problem with TomTom.
  • tfarabaugh
    Superuser
    edited January 11
    I wrote to one of the moderators to see if there have been any issues with QuickGPS with the new year. Let's see what they say.
  • Runner_Rik
    Runner_Rik Registered Users Posts: 3
    Apprentice Seeker
    edited January 11
    I own a Runner 3 and just recently I am having problems with the Quickgps. It now takes between 5 and 10 minutes to get my watch "on-line". I have attempted several solutions, notably:
    - Switching off the watch and subsequently switching it on again,
    - Just connecting the watch to my laptop to start the TomTomSports connect
    - - A factory reset.

After each action I checked the watch status and it showed that quickgps was up to date, but when I set the watch to start a run or bike trip it took a long time to get connected to GPS.

Can you help?
    Rik de Bruijn.
  • stubs
    stubs Registered Users Posts: 15
    Master Explorer
    edited January 11
    We do have 4 TomTom watches here (2x MultiSport, 1x Spark, 1x Adventurer).
    Since turn of the year, only one of the MultiSports gets QuickGPS updates (checkmark).
    The other ones always only show the monitor icon.
    They seem to not receive almanac updates anymore.
  • patpalloon1
    Master Explorer
    edited January 11
    The watch will get a GPS signal eventually, just takes a long time without the quickGPS updating.
  • Willy875
    Revered Voyager
    edited January 11
    stubs wrote: »
    Since turn of the year, only one of the MultiSports gets QuickGPS updates (checkmark).

A moderator's solution.

To perform a reset by turning off your watch, follow these steps:

Connect your watch to your computer and wait for TomTom Sports Connect to finish updating your watch.
    Click SETTINGS in TomTom Sports Connect.
    SETTINGS
    Hold down the Ctrl (Windows) or cmd (macOS) key and hover over Reset.
    The reset becomes the shutdown.
    Click on Stop.
    Disconnect your watch from the computer.
    Your watch turns off.
    To turn your watch back on, reconnect it to your computer or press and hold the button.
  • tfarabaugh
    Superuser
    edited January 11
    Willy875 wrote: »
    stubs wrote: »

A moderator's solution.

To perform a reset by turning off your watch, follow these steps:

Connect your watch to your computer and wait for TomTom Sports Connect to finish updating your watch.
    Click SETTINGS in TomTom Sports Connect.
    SETTINGS
    Hold down the Ctrl (Windows) or cmd (macOS) key and hover over Reset.
    The reset becomes the shutdown.
    Click on Stop.
    Disconnect your watch from the computer.
    Your watch turns off.
    To turn your watch back on, reconnect it to your computer or press and hold the button.

Those are the exact instructions I gave 5 comments up and it is apparently not working for them.
  • KaroJohn
    KaroJohn Registered Users Posts: 5
    Apprentice Seeker
    edited January 11
    Hi, i have the tomtom adventure watch and seem to have trouble to update the quick gps. It won't update with the app and won't update on the computer unless I use the turn off the watch trick. It won't update automatically anymore -__-. Can something be done so I can synchronized the gps without having to use the turn off trick?
  • Willy875
    Revered Voyager
    edited January 11
  • KaroJohn
    Apprentice Seeker
    edited January 11
    Hi, Willy

thanks for your comment.

Thing is, I know this trick. I was hoping there is something that can be done by TomTom so I won't have to use it to sync my GPS every single time. I have to do it everyday (turn off the watch manually) on my computer to sync the gps or it won't update automatically when syncing. I tried to find an email to contact TomTom directly and haven't been lucky.
  • Willy875
    Revered Voyager
    edited January 11
    To contact customer service

How to contact TomTom customer support by chat or email
    https://help.tomtom.com/hc/en-gb/articles/360015568919/

How to contact TomTom customer support by email
    https://help.tomtom.com/hc/en-gb/requests/new?ticket_form_id=360000679560
  • KaroJohn
    Apprentice Seeker
    edited January 11
    @Willy875 Thank you very much!
  • Matheus_Calabria
    Matheus_Calabria Registered Users Posts: 1
    New Seeker
    edited January 11
    quick gps is no longer updating when i connect the watch to the mobile app. And since it doesn't update every activity that I'm going to do, it takes about 20 minutes to find a gps signal and start the activity. How to solve this? I've reset the clock to factory settings, turned it off and on and nothing worked.

Mod edit: Machine translated (Portuguese)
  • tfarabaugh
    Superuser
    edited January 11
    KaroJohn wrote: »
    Hi, i have the tomtom adventure watch and seem to have trouble to update the quick gps. It won't update with the app and won't update on the computer unless I use the turn off the watch trick. It won't update automatically anymore -__-. Can something be done so I can synchronized the gps without having to use the turn off trick?

Seems to be a common issue. The moderators are aware of it and are looking into it. No ETA on when it might be fixed. It will still get GPS, it will just take a little longer to lock on.
  • KaroJohn
    Apprentice Seeker
    edited January 11
    @tfarabaugh thank you for your answer and I'm reassure to know that they are looking into it.
  • patpalloon1
    Master Explorer
    edited January 11
    There is obviously a wider issue affecting TomTom. My guess is the GPS licence they had expired the end of 2021.
    The only thing I can suggest is getting a GPS fix on the watch before you actually need to use it.
    Then it seems to be quicker the next time when you actually need it.
  • margie123
    margie123 Registered Users Posts: 3
    Neophyte Traveler
    edited January 11
    Hello, I have the same issue since the end of December. The solution above from the moderator worked for me!

Let's see if it will also update the QuickGPS on my iPhone the next time.