Via1535 was converted to a Via125

kenchin
kenchin Registered Users Posts: 8
New Seeker
My Via 1535 was converted to a Via 125 after the last "update" a few days ago. Now, I have lost some features on my unit and My Drive Connect app does not recognize it as it keeps searching. I tried the normal resetting it but it does not work. How do I get it to go back to the original status?

Best Answers

• Willy875
    Willy875 Registered Users Posts: 5,330
    Revered Voyager
    Answer ✓
    In the table I see the model serial number which starts with BM does not have the lifetime updates.
    https://www.tomtom.com/en_gb/obsolete-products/#car

• kenchin
    New Seeker
    Answer ✓
    Hmmm!!! Interesting. I have always done updates for the time that I have it. I guess that they want me to buy a new one now so they downgraded it to Via 125 and unable to get connection to the My Drive Connect. If this is the case this is the last TomTom I will ever own.

Answers

• VikramK
    VikramK Administrators Posts: 13,721
    Hi @kenchin
    Welcome to the community! I reviewed your TomTom account and I don't see a device linked.
    What are the first two characters for the serial number?
    What country language have you selected in MyDrive Connect?

Thanks, Vikram
  • kenchin
    New Seeker
    I had 2 different Tomtoms registered but the first one was not in use anymore. The second one was the Via1535 but since it was converted it showed up as Via 125. So, I removed the 2 of them from my account hoping to rescan it again but it does not seem to be recognized and it keeps on looking without any result. I cannot put the device in. I suspect it sees it as a Via 125 but it is confused with the other 1535 data associated with it, that is why I cannot do anything with it.
  • Willy875
    Revered Voyager
    Hi
    On Mydrive connect, have you disconnected from your account then on Mydrive connect reconnect with the Via 1535 email address
  • kenchin
    New Seeker
    edited January 3
    I have done that several times but the same thing happens all the time. I even removed and reloaded My Drive Connect at least 3 times but no improvement. When I take a description by holding down the power button for a long time the, the description of the Unit says it a TomTom Go 2003 - 2010, Model type 56. Device ID BMxxxxxxxxx67

Mod edit: Please don't post private or personal information on a public forum. Thanks!
  • kenchin
    New Seeker
    This GPS is about 9 years old with lifetime Maps but I don't know if it is too old for TomTom support?
  • Willy875
    Revered Voyager
    Answer ✓
    In the table I see the model serial number which starts with BM does not have the lifetime updates.

• kenchin
    New Seeker
    Answer ✓
    Hmmm!!! Interesting. I have always done updates for the time that I have it. I guess that they want me to buy a new one now so they downgraded it to Via 125 and unable to get connection to the My Drive Connect. If this is the case this is the last TomTom I will ever own.
  • YamFazMan
    YamFazMan Posts: 20,787
    Superuser
    edited January 1
    Hi
    @kenchin
    The 1st 2 characters of the serial number define the Tomtom Model....
    The same Tomtom Devices/Models have different model names for the various World Sale Areas....
    BM... Prefix for the Canada/USA Is....
    o12egj1unn4b.jpg
    BM... Prefix for the UK/Europe Is....
    uxyorknaiu3j.jpg
    Try...
    With MyDrive Connect running...
    Click on the Cog Wheel Icon Screen top right
    Click on the General Tab
    Check Country (Language)... United Kingdom (English) or Canada (English) or Canada (French)
    Select the correct Country option
    Tap the 'Save Settings' button

Stay Safe... ATB YFM
  • kenchin
    New Seeker
    This is a hopeless case. I have tried that but it is still not recognizing or identifying it and it keeps searching. It would have been OK if that "update" did not downgrade it and I could have still use it normally without the updates which I usually did about every 6 months. But now, it takes a long time to get the satellites, no voice direction, does not automatically dim to night brightness unless I do it manually. I do not know what else is screwed up as I have not gone through the all functions.
  • DougLap
    DougLap Posts: 9,827
    Superuser
    Hi @kenchin

Look back here tomorrow and see what @VikramK has to say now you have indicated the serial number and he has considered your comment that you cannot now re add it to the list of units on the account.

Doug
  • Willy875
    Revered Voyager
    kenchin wrote: »
    This is a hopeless case. I have tried that but it is still not recognizing or identifying it and it keeps searching. It would have been OK if that "update" did not downgrade it and I could have still use it normally without the updates which I usually did about every 6 months. But now, it takes a long time to get the satellites, no voice direction, does not automatically dim to night brightness unless I do it manually. I do not know what else is screwed up as I have not gone through the all functions.

Devices whose serial number starting with BM are no longer tracked by Tomtom
    it's Mapshare updates that you perform every 6 months.
  • Lochfrass
    Lochfrass Posts: 17,714
    Superuser
    Willy875 wrote: »
    Devices whose serial number starting with BM are no longer tracked by Tomtom
    Where do you see BM on the list @Willy875 ?

• Willy875
    Revered Voyager
    od2kqy4xyqp3.jpg

xezr3km8af4m.jpg
  • Lochfrass
    Lochfrass Posts: 17,714
    Superuser
    edited January 2
    Many thanks @Willy875
    Found the issue.
    The website is so badly programmed that it only shows part of it in portrait mode on a smartphone, so I can't see it.
    In landscape format everything is ok
    d4vdtr0hn2de.jpgxv6bo88ft4nv.jpg

It's really sad how badly TomTom has programmed some of its helppages
  • kenchin
    New Seeker
    I have a Via 1535 (not a 125) with an 8GB memory chip extention. I don't see it on the listings provided by Lochfrass. The site (https://www.tomtom.com/en_gb/obsolete-products/#car) that is provided for obsolete and unsupported GPS only directs me to purchase a new GPS.
  • Willy875
    Revered Voyager
    edited January 2
    Check back tomorrow, moderator @VikramK will review your account and restore your rights if updated for life.

Via 125 or Via 1530/1535 it is the same model.
    "BM" > VIA 1530/1535, 4 Go + micro-SDHC, MyDrive Connect
  • Willy875
    Revered Voyager
    Check back tomorrow, moderator @VikramK will review your account and restore your rights if updated for life.

Via 125 or Via 1530/1535 it is the same model.
    "BM" > VIA 1530/1535, 4 Go + micro-SDHC, MyDrive Connect
  • VikramK
    VikramK Administrators Posts: 13,721
    Hi @kenchin
    The device is now linked to your TomTom account, just connect it to MyDrive Connect and download the available updates.
    Via 1535 is a US model, also known as the Via 125 in Europe; MyDrive Connect displays the name depending on the selected region under settings > country/language preference.
    g8xynsjt9qyl.png

Regards,
    Vikram.
  • kenchin
    New Seeker
    Many thanks to you, Vickram for putting back my GPS in my account but it is back to where I started just after the last "update." I had to set my location to the UK before I could get MyDriveConnect going. It shows that I have 5 updates but I cannot connect my unit and it keeps on searching with a note that it is no longer supported and directing me to the purchase of a new GPS. What I want is my old functions restored and I could live without the updates as it is used mainly for driving around the Montreal area in Quebec, Canada.