Not enough space for update

Inge1962
Inge1962 Registered Users Posts: 2
Apprentice Seeker
Hello all,

I'm a rookie with Tomtom devices (any devices).
I try to update our Tomtom GO 6100. The small updates were no problem but at last I have an update for maps Europe with Benelux buildings size 6331 MB. My free space is 89 Mb.
I thought I could delete the original card (8276 MB) by using the green button, I can click the box and choose the option to delete, but the system does not react.
So I have 2 questions: is this the right way? (deleting the old card for space) than how?
Or is there another way?

Thanks for your help.

Inge

Answers

• YamFazMan
    YamFazMan Posts: 21,155
     Superuser
    edited December 2021
    Hi
    @Inge1962
    Welcome to the site....
    Tomtom devices need at least one Map installed before the device will Boot-up... You can't delete the map if there's only one Map installed....
    The early NAV4 devices Maps fitted easily onto the 8GB of on-board Memory, but the Map sizes increases with every update... Now the 8GB limit on-board Memory size on the NAV4 devices is an unfortunate, but real Catch22 situation....
    The latest NAV4 Full Europe Map size is now around 9GB
    @VikramK or @lampard one of the Forum Moderators pick this type of problem and add a small Map to the Account to get past the 'Catch22' No Maps Found error....

See Catch22... https://discussions.tomtom.com/en/discussion/comment/1686043/#Comment_1686043

If you wish to just stick with using the internal memory Instead of using a Micro USB Card....
    Tomtom have released the Europe map in different Map Cuts (Map zones)... Will any of these new Maps suit your travel requirements???
    More information Here... https://discussions.tomtom.com/en/discussion/comment/1660206/#Comment_1660206

Stay Safe.... ATB YFM
  • Willy875
    Willy875 Registered Users Posts: 6,610
    Elite Voyager
    Inge1962 wrote: »
    Hello all,

I'm a rookie with Tomtom devices (any devices).
    I try to update our Tomtom GO 6100. The small updates were no problem but at last I have an update for maps Europe with Benelux buildings size 6331 MB. My free space is 89 Mb.
    I thought I could delete the original card (8276 MB) by using the green button, I can click the box and choose the option to delete, but the system does not react.
    So I have 2 questions: is this the right way? (deleting the old card for space) than how?
    Or is there another way?

Thanks for your help.

Inge

Hi, add extra Sd card 16gb minimum to 32gb maximum.
  • DougLap
    DougLap Posts: 10,050
    Superuser
    Hi @Inge1962

The first point to make is if there is only one map on the device then the option to delete a map will not work because the devices require a map as part of the Startup function.

The full Europe map is too big for the internal memory along with the operating software. If you have the Europe map on the internal memory then I would suggest that you install a Micro SD Class 10 memory card either 16gb or max 32gb. Once this has been installed then the update should work and the new version will be loaded on the Extra memory card and so enable more memory on the internal memory which if you only currently have 89mb of free memory will probably significantly improve the devices performance.

I the current Europe map is on an Extra memory card and the re is plenty of space on the internal memory then I suggest you download a small map, ie Iraq or Venezuela, then you will be able to remove the small extra memory card and replace with a larger card as above and then download from Maps in Settings the latest Europe map you want

Doug
  • Inge1962
    Inge1962 Registered Users Posts: 2
    Apprentice Seeker
    edited December 2021
    Thanks for your help so far. You were right there is only one map installed so this cannot be removed.
    I have ordered a 32 GB micro sd card class 10 as you suggested. The card has been formatted by the system. The card is visible in MyDrive Connect 30K memory is available.
    When I try to update (the only option) I have no choice where to install the map. With maps from other countries MyDrive Connect asks where to install either on SD card or on the system. After clicking every attempt says "the system does not react". I have searched the forum but I see no solution for this.
    Can you help me further?

Thanks a lot.

Inge

• Willy875
    Willy875 Registered Users Posts: 6,610
    Elite Voyager
    Hi

Resetting GPS may help
    try to install a small map on the internal memory then the Europe map on the SD

• DougLap
    DougLap Posts: 10,050
    Superuser
    Hi @Inge1962

If the updated map will not fit on the internal memory you won’t be offered a choice and it will auto load on the extra memory card.

You will only be offered option for where to load if there is space on both options.

Doug