Why does TomTom app take me via a route taking 4 hours when it's normally about 2.5 hours?

JWM2
JWM2 Registered Users Posts: 5
Apprentice Traveler
I've just installed the TomTom Go app and asked it to route me from Llandudno in North Wales to Saltaire near Bradford. It seems to want to take me via Derby. THIS IS MAD!!!!!!!!! It's about 135 miles not 215 as TomTom seem to think!

I've just come back to the TomTom app having tried it some months ago and it couldn't seem to do a search for me despite five reinstallations. I'm now pleased to see it can seem to find places BUT it wants to take me via a route that's utterly crazy!

Comments

• JWM2
    Apprentice Traveler
    Update: I've now found that in addition to taking me via routes that are are about 40% longer than they should be, it's gone back to being unable to search!

Thinking that there might be something about my phone it disagrees with, I tried installing it on my tablet and still it produces crazy long routes.

There's something very strange going on here and I'm wondering how it gets such good reviews and why I can't seem to get it to work on two devices!
  • VikramK
    VikramK Administrators Posts: 14,298
    Hi @JWM2
    The longer route could also be due to incidents like road closures/road works. Could you try planning a route using MyDrive Web and check again?

Regards
    Vikram.
  • JWM2
    Apprentice Traveler
    Hi Vikram

Thanks for that but even if there was a road closure the route is totally unreasonable - if you look on the map it's a ridiculous route to go near Derby to get to Yorkshire from North Wales - like going from London to Brighton via Southampton!
  • DougLap
    DougLap Posts: 10,039
    Superuser
    edited December 2021
    Hi @JWM2

I think you will find you not got the North UK map loaded on your unit. As a result it has not got the mapping to take the more direct route you are suggesting. Go to Maps in Settings and check you have the map loaded. If you don't then the route is 221 miles and 4.26 hours via Burton on Trent. Also if you don't have the Map loaded it will not find Blackpool etc.

Doug
  • JWM2
    Apprentice Traveler
    Thanks for that Doug, I thought the whole of the UK was one map as all the other maps after the original one seemed to be other countries? Even if this does solve the routing problem I have the other problem of it not being able to search now, having previously done so fine. I don't know whether my phone is allergic to TomTom.
  • JWM2
    Apprentice Traveler
    I've installed the other two maps for the UK and now it actually plans a route that makes sense, so thanks for that!

I'm hoping that the search function will continue to work now that it has the maps for the whole of the UK - fingers crossed!
  • DougLap
    DougLap Posts: 10,039
    Superuser
    Hi @JWM2

Sure you are now sorted. Happy New Year.

Doug