TomTom crashes since version 3.3.1.4 — TomTom Discussions

TomTom crashes since version 3.3.1.4

wolfmueller
wolfmueller Registered Users Posts: 63
Renowned Trailblazer
ince release of version 3.3.1.4. several users with different devices have reported that TomTom Go crashes shortly after starting. Is this bug still being worked on at all?

Comments

• phototraveler
    phototraveler Registered Users Posts: 17
    Outstanding Explorer
  • wolfmueller
    Renowned Trailblazer

That thread is probably dealing with a different problem. Because with me and quite a few others TomTom crashes on the smartphone immediately after start, and I do not even get to check the subscription.
  • wolfmueller
    Renowned Trailblazer
    edited December 2021
    As allready written in other threads I have a "Motorola moto g7" with Android v10, which has worked fine with Tomtom for years, e.g. here:
    https://discussions.tomtom.com/de/discussion/1139599/update-auf-tomtom-go-3-3-bricht-ab
    The memory card is formatted as internal memory (memory expansion). I have already removed the card (only physically, so as not to have to reinstall all other programs) and reinstalled TomTom in the remaining memory. Without success with the same error that TomTom aborts immediately after startup.
  • Jürgen
    Jürgen Community Managers, Administrators Posts: 6,794
    Community Manager
    And you're using our latest build 3.3.31 I hope as the team has included a number of fixes to crashes since 3.3.14. We also have another crash fix release in beta at the moment.

Please make sure that "Help us improve" is enabled on the security screen so that the app sends us anonymised logs in case it crashes. It can be the case that the app crashes too early to generate a log file and then our engineers miss that.
  • wolfmueller
    Renowned Trailblazer
    Jürgen wrote: »
    And you're using our latest build 3.3.31 I hope as the team has included a number of fixes to crashes since 3.3.14. We also have another crash fix release in beta at the moment.

Please make sure that "Help us improve" is enabled on the security screen so that the app sends us anonymised logs in case it crashes. It can be the case that the app crashes too early to generate a log file and then our engineers miss that.

Version 3.3.31 has been reported that it does not improve the reported problem. That's why I haven't tried this one. Because I am glad that after some effort, version 3.3.1.2 including subscription and map update is currently running stable for me, I don't want to take any risks.

The switch "Help us improve" was always enabled on my system. But since version 3.3.1.4 crashes immediately after starting, I don't even get to this checkbox. Therefore, I hope for a report from other users affected by the same problem, that a new version runs stable with them.
  • WvanMierlo
    WvanMierlo Registered Users Posts: 7
    Master Explorer
    edited December 2021
    I am experiencing the same problem with my Moto G4. Also have tomtom installed on the sdcard formatted as adaptive storage. The phone it self doesn't have enough internal storage to install the maps I need. Using build 3.3.31. Problem appeared since build 3.3.14. The TT Go App has become unusable because of this for the last 2.5 months.
  • phototraveler
    phototraveler Registered Users Posts: 17
    Outstanding Explorer
    edited December 2021
    The mentions of Motorola phones suggest that they might be the common denominator with this issue, so I'll mention that I have the 'Moto E7' with Android 10, and the 'Moto G Power [2021]' with Android 11. The GO app crashes within seconds of trying to open it, so I'm not able to get to the Help us improve feature.
  • wolfmueller
    Renowned Trailblazer
    The mentions of Motorola phones suggest that they might be the common denominator with this issue, so I'll mention that I have the 'Moto E7' with Android 10, and the 'Moto G Power [2021]' with Android 11. The GO app crashes within seconds of trying to open it, so I'm not able to get to the Help us improve feature.

This "new feature" of TomTom has been reported for various devices since version 3.3.1.4. For me it is a "Moto G7" with Android 10 and a memory card formatted as adoptable storage. And TomTom reliably crashes immediately after it starts. TomTom claims that the introduction of Android 11 resulted in inevitable changes. It's just strange for me that of my many installed apps, only TomTom has this problem. But I hope they are still working on it.
  • wolfmueller
    Renowned Trailblazer
    bkuhls wrote: »
    No, it is not only TomTom which is affected by "scoped storage" introduced by Google in Android 11:...
    I use Android 10, and of the apps I use only TomTom has problems.

While the effect for osmand results in a massive slowdown accessing files on the sdcard TomTom
    in comparison sometimes crashes after updating,...
    For comparison: the "Locus Maps" I use has no problems, as well as several other apps.

So do not blame TomTom, blame Google for their ignorance regarding sdcards ;)
    As long as TomTom only blames Google for the fault, even though other apps run perfectly under the same conditions, appropriate queries must also be allowed. Especially since there is no statement available by TomTom whether the problem is being worked on at all.