Whisky Tango Foxtrot is wrong with the MyDrive Connect program

DStock
DStock Registered Users Posts: 12
Apprentice Seeker
Lately, when I fire up my computer, my GPS is attached and it will also start up. Then the MyDrive Connect app initiates. It says that I have 2 updates available. I click on the view updates button and it only shows 1 GPS quick fix update. So I select the update selected button and it goes through all of the expected steps. Even my GPS says it is updating. Then both say update complete. But when I click on the My Device option at the top of the app, it still says that I have 2 updates available. And the cycle goes on and on ad nauseum. It never clears the updates available screen or tells me that my device is up to date. I unloaded the MyDrive Connect app and downloaded a fresh copy from the website and re-installed it. I have done this scenario soooo many time over the life of this GPS that I can do it in my sleep now. However, the new copy of MyDrive Connect just does the same thing as the last version. When is TomTom going to fix this program once and for all. And am I actually getting updates and what is the second update that never reveals itself. There used to be a link to email TomTom but that seems to have disappeared and replaced with the chat box which isn't all that good either. Does anyone from TomTom actually come and respond to these inquiries or do they hop the community will fix their errors for free?

Best Answer

• DStock
    Apprentice Seeker
    Answer ✓
    I don't use wifi. But I have had issue after issue with TomTom and their unreliable MyDrive program.

Answers

• YamFazMan
    YamFazMan Posts: 20,829
     Superuser
    Hi
    @DStock
    If I'm having problems with MyDrive Connect... I find deleting the "HOME3" and the "MyDrive Connect" folders in the MyDrive Connect Program will usually bring MyDrive Connect back to life...
    Step-by-step instructions for removing the 'Home3' Folder and the 'MyDrive connect' folder....
    See... https://discussions.tomtom.com/en/discussion/1134289/connection-problems-mydrive-connect-delete-the-home3-mydrive-connect-folders

Here's a similar solution recently suggested by Tomtom support ....
    Step by step MyDrive Connect fix from Tomtom support....
    Okay.
    I will share certain steps with you for troubleshooting and request you to perform it as it is.
    1) Close MyDrive Connect completely.
    2) Make sure there are no TomTom related processes running in task manager.
    -The Task Manager can be found by pressing the keys Ctrl+Alt+Del and then selecting Task Manager
    3) Uninstall MyDrive Connect via the Control Panel
    4) Delete the TomTom folder from the Program files.
    -Go to Start and then My Computer/Computer/This PC
    -Delete the MyDrive Connect folder from C:\Program Files and C:\Program Files (x86)
    5) Check each username profile (marked as <username> here) and make sure the TomTom folders are deleted from the following locations:
    -C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local
    -C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming
    -C:\Users\<username>\AppData\\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files
    6) Press the Windows Key + R to open the run window.
    - Type in %temp% then press OK . Delete as many files from this location as possible. Some files can not be deleted. This is normal.
    7) Restart the computer.
    8) Create a new Administrator account in Windows.
    -Create a simple username, for instance TomTom, with no spaces or special characters (like â, é, ë etc.).
    9) Log out of the current account and log in with the new administrator account.
    10) Reinstall MyDrive Connect.
    - Go to https://help.tomtom.com/hc/articles/360013959499-Installing-MyDrive-Connect
    - Download MyDrive Connect.
    -Go to the download folder, right-click on the file MyDriveConnect.exe and press run as administrator.
    11) Check the status of the program in the firewall
    11) Then connect the device to the computer and follow the update and install it. The update should go through.
    Make sure to install the update one at a time.
    Stay safe... ATB YFM
  • DStock
    Apprentice Seeker
    YamFaz:
    Thanks for the response. But you can read in my original question, I deleted the original program and, albeit not specifically noted, I deleted the folder and scrubbed the registry. That didn't help at all and I am still getting notifications that 2 downloads are available but never actually does much that you can tell. I have had MyDrive Connect issues ever since I bought this thing a long time ago. The program was flawed then and it has not gotten better since.
  • YamFazMan
     Superuser
    Hi
    @DStock
    Have you tried clearing the MyDrive Connect Cache???
    With MyDrive Connect running...
    Click on the Cog Wheel Icon Screen top right
    Click on the Downloads Tab
    Empty download folder
    Save settings

Stay Safe... ATB YFM
  • DStock
    Apprentice Seeker
    Well if I delete the program, folders and scrub the registry that would take care of the cache. But I also run CCleaner to do that as well. It's just that the MyDrive Connect program is so flawed that it is very unstable and really needs someone with programming skills to fix it.
  • YamFazMan
     Superuser
    edited December 2021
    Hi
    @DStock
    I rarely have a problem with MyDrive Connect and still prefer to use MDC over the Wi-Fi option for the latter models of my various Tomtom devices....

Stay Safe... AT YFM
  • DStock
    Apprentice Seeker
    Answer ✓
    I don't use wifi. But I have had issue after issue with TomTom and their unreliable MyDrive program.
  • DStock
    Apprentice Seeker
    Does everyone get ghosted by the TomTom support team when they have no idea how to fix their MyDrive Connect program? I have not received any updates for over a month. I send them logs and email and chats and then I get crickets. I should have bought a Garmin.