sat nav wont go into sleep mode

rayhopley
rayhopley Registered Users Posts: 46
Master Explorer
updated sat nav saturday since then sat nav will not go into sleep mode when i turn ignition off in car.

have to press button to get it to go into sleep mode

then when i turn ignition back on after 2 mins the sat nav reboots

Comments

• Willy875
    Willy875 Registered Users Posts: 5,444
    Revered Voyager
    I don't know what model of GPS do you have?

Did you look in Settings, then System then Battery Settings.
  • rayhopley
    Master Explorer
    its the start 52 i have not touched anything in the settings

it was working fine until it had a software update on saturday and now it wont go into sleep mode by itself
  • Willy875
    Revered Voyager
    Sometimes an update can change the settings.
  • rayhopley
    Master Explorer
    have looked at the battery settings and have changed it and tried but the sat nav still doesnt go in to sleep mode when removed from power sources
  • DougLap
    DougLap Posts: 9,862
    Superuser
    Hi @rayhopley

Try a soft reset ie when the unit is on Press and Hold In the On/Off button for 20 seconds Plus until you hear the drumroll sound then let the button go. The unit will restart.

If that does not work then do a Reset Device which is in Settings/System. You will have to set the unit up from scratch as you did when you first used it. The current Operating system software and maps on the unit will not be changed.

Doug
  • Mick_123-456
    Mick_123-456 Registered Users Posts: 11
    Master Explorer
    I have a nearly new prem X 600 sat nav
    I have done all you say about trying to sort this out
    ever since it had a new update sometimes
    When i switch off the car the sat nav shows
    nothing some times it will work ok
    I have done very rest in the book and its still the same
    Not very happy with this sat nav some one has made a mess of the software
    So what now???
  • YamFazMan
    YamFazMan Posts: 20,829
     Superuser
    edited January 14
    Hi
    @Mick_123-456
    Check the power settings... Tap 4Dot (.... Menu) --> Setting --> System --> Battery settings....
    Are you using the Tomtom supplied cable and Tomtom supplied Power Adapter
    The Charger Adapter and USB Cable supplied by Tomtom WILL run and charge the device at the same time

Many 3rd parties Mismatched Charger Adapters won't run and charge the device at the same time
    See... It's not simply a power thing.....
    https://discussions.tomtom.com/en/discussion/comment/1182024/#Comment_1182024

The Previous NAV4 and Latest (NAV5 Wi-Fi) devices are quite power hungry and can go into "Power saving mode" if not supplied with enough power
    When the device is In use they are designed to be always connected to a power supply
    The Tomtom supplied Power Adapter is rated at 5Volts 1.2Amps
    Even after you have recharged the device externally via a mains' charger, when in use in the vehicle, they will still require being connected to a Tomtom supplied Power Adapter (Or a proven suitable 3rd party Power adapter)

(1)... Do NOT attach them to a dashboard USB port in your vehicle as they normally only supply 500mAmp (0.5Amp) and are for data transfer and not supplying power: See... Note (1) & (2)

(2)... Using a NONE Tomtom 3rd party underpowered or a mismatched cigarette lighter charger can cause the device to go into Power Saving Mode: See... Note (1)

(3)... On the Models with a built-in SIM, the reduction of power to the SIM can cause the dropping of the traffic info: Note (3)

Note (1)... At an (Undisclosed) percentage of battery discharge, the device will try to save its power requirements by dimming the screen and eventually powers off the device... Devices with a built-in SIM Card may also lose Live Traffic services
    Note (2)... A dashboard USB port can also fool a NAV4 Device into entering 'Updating Mode' and display the Connected to your Computer splash screen
    Note (3)... I tried connecting my Tomtom GO 6200 to my Cars USB port, checked the connection status it reports 'Connected over USB' --> 'GPRS (SIM) Disconnected'

Stay Safe... ATB YFM
  • Mick_123-456
    Master Explorer
    This sat nav was great same cable same conection
    Until your guys updated it some times it works many times it does not
    Please explain done complete reboot many times works ok for a bit then starts doing the same thing
  • Mick_123-456
    Master Explorer
    This sat nav always went to sleep when the car was turned off
    So why do you have this stupid idear where you have to choose
    Now witch one do i press what a crazy idear
  • Mick_123-456
    Master Explorer
    Sometimes when i turn off the car the sat nav stays on
    so i have to turn it off at the switch so is this an update to a sat nav that was no problem at untill now
  • Willy875
    Revered Voyager
    Have you tried resetting the device to factory settings?
  • Mick_123-456
    Master Explorer
    Many many times
    full reboot from the computer
    I think i done all i can do
  • Mick_123-456
    Master Explorer
    On thing comes to mind is if it is lack of power
    Then sometimes when i turn of the car the sat nav stays on on full bright screen
    Please could any one explain??
  • acolsandra
    acolsandra Registered Users Posts: 4
    Apprentice Traveler
    I have the same after the last update (different system), today I received a very big update, hopefully that will solve the problems after the last update (not going in sleep mode is just one problem I have)
  • YamFazMan
     Superuser
    Hi
    Running the latest software version, here GO Premium....
    Turn of the ignition I get the power menu with a 15 second countdown to sleep mode, All Good....

Stay Safe... ATB YFM
  • Mick_123-456
    Master Explorer
    No
  • Mick_123-456
    Master Explorer
    Hi i have done all you guys have ased for
    New tom/tom holder new tom/tom cable
    Did a restart back to factory setting
    Now works for about a week then stays on after taking out the plug full bright screen full battery
    Did another restart just the same runs for about a week then stays on again ?????????????????
  • YamFazMan
     Superuser
    This sat nav was great same cable same connection (Snip)
    But are you using the Tomtom supplied Power Adapter and Cable ???

Stay Safe... ATB YFM
  • Mick_123-456
    Master Explorer
    yes all tomtom brand new
  • Jay_Smith1
    Jay_Smith1 Registered Users Posts: 4
    Apprentice Traveler
    Hi. I have a Premium X that has worked fine for a long time. After the last system update the automatic sleep when power removed changed so that there were 3 options. It worked but after a while it stopped going to sleep automatically when power is removed. Tried all the resets and checked setting in battery menu. This must be a software fault.
  • Mick_123-456
    Master Explorer
    Yes mines the same as you
    I hope you have seen all my problems
    I know someone who has a standard 600 tomtom that works fine on the new softwear
    So when you buy the Prem X and pay the extra money you get a poor version
    Not a very good advert for tomtom is it
  • Mick_123-456
    Master Explorer
    Mine has gone back to tomtom ?
  • CRHolder
    CRHolder Registered Users Posts: 22
    Master Explorer
    I did not use my car for several days and it had a flat battery. So after charging it I noticed my TomTom Premium X was on. It is now giving me a 3 option quiz even though it is set to turn off when the power is off. What the hell is going on. Are the people who don't care deliberately trying to make life more difficult than it is already. Is there anyone with a fix for this latest glitch or are they trying to force everyone to buy another make of Satnav?
  • YamFazMan
     Superuser
    edited February 1
    Hi
    @CRHolder
    On my GO Premium, I get the 3-option quiz....
    Plus a 15-second countdown to the device powering down, all OK....
    j2yxvbph8e9p.jpg
    Stay safe... ATB YFM
  • CRHolder
    CRHolder Registered Users Posts: 22
    Master Explorer
    My tomtom is not doing that now or if it is not every time. I have done a reset. A week ago it was working just as it should. At about 6 pm today there was no notification it just sat there "ON". I brought it into the house as it had yet another speed camera update. When finished I disconnected the TomTom power cable which had been plugged into the mains USB @5V 2.1a and it did not power down. I checked my settings and it is as always set to sleep when the power is turned off. I powered it up again for 2 minutes and powered it down and it went to sleep. I can't trust it and it would seem other people on here are having the same problem. So how do I complain directly to TomTom as this is not acceptable is it?