TomTom GO Navigation app -Zoom level too high (Android Auto)

rubenverhoef
rubenverhoef Registered Users Posts: 1
New Traveler
Hi!

I'm using TomTom Go a lot with Android Auto, but the zoom level annoys me.
The map is way too much zoomed in when driving at "high" speeds.

Of course when i must make a turn it nice that the map is zoomed in, but when I'm driving at a road for 50KM with a speed of 80KM/h it would be nice to zoom out so i can see where I'm heading and what is around me.

Can this be implemented?
Thanks,
Ruben

Best Answer

• lampard
    lampard Retired TomTom Employee Posts: 6,075 Retired Community Moderators and Admins
    Answer ✓
    Thanks, @rubenverhoef & @wildrice for your feedbacks! I'll send them to my team as improvement requests.

Best, lampard

Answers

• wildrice
    wildrice Registered Users Posts: 4
    Apprentice Traveler
    I agree.

One of the features I miss the most about my Garmin Nuvi is they have a zoom feature that zooms you all the way out until the next turn, and it slowly zooms in as you drive.

I like that style of zoom because it shows you how long you have to go until you need to worry about the next turn. Their zoom does that at any speed, any road type, even if it's 500 miles away... Not one Android Auto nav app does that. Genius Maps does it based on speed (you have to be above 45 to zoom out and even at 65 you don't get the next turn if it's far away), and TomTom Go only does the full route in 2D North up.

If they'd implement a similar zoom I'd use 2D/3D but I always am in 2D North up blowing past my turns.........
  • lampard
    lampard Retired TomTom Employee Posts: 6,075 Retired Community Moderators and Admins
    Answer ✓
    Thanks, @rubenverhoef & @wildrice for your feedbacks! I'll send them to my team as improvement requests.

Best, lampard

• wildrice
    Apprentice Traveler
    Man you guys keep making the zoom worse and worse!

Can it just be a check-box setting to zoom all the way out to the next turn? Now the North UP doesn't zoom at all and it's so far zoomed out it's unusable.

I'm about to go back to suction cups on the windshield, but at least my Garmin shows me what I need without having to read anything.
  • wildrice
    Apprentice Traveler
    edited August 16
    Here is a reason for the zoom I'm asking for. Being caught up in North UP with a ridiculous zoom was actually extremely dangerous.

I took a trip with 6 other people in a 15-passenger van, and a loaded trailer full of PA and music gear. We were returning to Florida from Vermont. We stopped in DC for the night, and got going early the next morning...of course during rush hour..

I can't remember the exact exit but there were several things that lead up to an extremely dangerous incident, where if the map zoomed into the next turn I would have been better prepared for.

We were coming down one of the variations of I-10, and merging on to some bypass. Not far down the bypass was stopped traffic. TomTom GO, which is extremely good at this (a nod not totally negative here..) immediately routed me off the highway after the by-pass interchange.

I was in North UP because I like to see how far there is left to go, and I used the lane arrows to guide me. First of all, there weren't enough Lane Arrows to accurately represent the interchange. It told me to use the left-most lane which was an HOV lane. As I approached the interchange the signs said the 2 left most lanes, after the HOV lane were for the left on to the by-way. Ok great, but I stayed in the Left most lane to be safe, not knowing what was coming.

As soon as I got on the by-pass roughly a quarter-mile I was supposed to exit to the right to go around the stopped traffic, 4-lanes over. I had to cut across 4 lanes in a quarter mile with a 15-passenger van and fully loaded trailer, in the middle of DC rush hour!!! The exit view that came up didn't seem to make mention of the HOV lane because it told me to use the left most lane, and the next right was just out of view of the exit view that comes up showing a zoomed in mapping of the exit.

All this while negotiating speeding traffic and finding spaces to squeeze my oversized load in and all the anxiety of being on an unfamiliar road, oh and not to mention the weight of the passengers trusting in me to keep them safe.

Had the zoom locked in on the initial I-10 to I-10 bypass turn, as it zoomed closer, I could have seen that there was an immediate right coming up. I could have deciphered the inaccurate lane arrows to use the RIGHT lane exiting left, and been 1 less lane I had to cut across. There were a couple of other condundrums but this by far was the most dangerous because of the zooming.

When it locks in on the next turn, even from a great distance away, as it is zooming, you can study whats coming up so you can be ready.

Can I pay a developer personally to put this sort of zoom in the app!? I mean it's already there... Currently you just start with the max zoom at 1/2 a mile, instead of the turn, then when the turn is within half a mile, it starts zooming.. Why not make the next turn the max zoom??
  • wildrice
    Apprentice Traveler
    edited August 16
    Correction to my story: I was traveling I-270 south, making a left onto I-270 Spur, then being told to divert on Democracy Blvd.