Second Unit with the same fault

Woody0909
Woody0909 Registered Users Posts: 8
New Seeker
I purchased a Tom Tom Camper Go Sat Nav through Amazon in May and after just three months of use, it developed a fault while in use where the display had lots of fine vertical lines on it and then it went in to a process of rebooting itself without ever going back to the normal function screen. Thankfully, Amazon replaced the unit with a new one in September however three months later, the replacement has got exactly the same fault on it and the screen now only displays a sign telling me to connect the unit to a computer. I have done this and the unit just continually tries to perform a reset without fail. Can you advise me on why this is happening and what the fix is. Steve

Answers

• DougLap
    DougLap Posts: 9,426
    Superuser
    Hi @Woody0909

If you Press and hold in the On/Off button for 20 seconds plus until you hear the drum roll sound then let the button go are you able to work the device after it restarts. If you can go into Settings/My Drive and Tap Stop syncing and then see if the issue is resolved. There is no need for the unit to be syncing My Drive during normal use only if you need to get routes etc from your Account .

Doug
  • Woody0909
    New Seeker
    Thanks Doug,
    I've tried this several times but it doesn't work. All that happens is the unit displays outline images of the Tom Tom and Computer with a cable link between the two suggesting that I need to connect the Tom Tom to my computer. I've done this and all it does is keep trying to reset itself without any success. This must be a fault with the hardware or software as it as happened on the original and replacement units within three months of getting them.
  • DougLap
    Superuser
    Hi @Woody0909

I assume you have My Drive Connect running on the PC when you connect it. Also do you have an extra memory card installed if so try removing it.

Doug
  • Woody0909
    New Seeker
    Hi Doug
    Yes to the first question and no to the second.

I'm guessing that this must be a common fault for it to happen in exactly the same way to 2 units within three months of purchase
  • DougLap
    Superuser
    edited December 2021
    Hi @Woody0909

I have the Camper and had it for some time and not had the same issue. Touch wood.

Do you by any chance connect the USB cable to a USB socket in your car rather than using the TT supplied Cig Plug.

I think we will need the ideas from @VikramK ]to seek a solution to this .

Doug
  • Willy875
    Willy875 Registered Users Posts: 3,915
    Revered Voyager
    @Woody0909

You will need to follow this FAQ: Navigation device not starting or displaying a cross https://help.tomtom.com/hc/en-gb/articles/360013959579-Mon-GPS-ne-démarre-pas-ou-une-croix-s-affiche
  • VikramK
    VikramK Registered Users, Administrators Posts: 13,133
    Hi @Woody0909
    I asked my team to review the logs in the background. The application and the map all look okay...
    We have seen some reports of devices rebooting, but in some cases turning off the MyDrive sync has fixed the issue.

I hope you are using the TomTom supplied USB cable for charging the device in the car..

Regards
    Vikram
  • Woody0909
    New Seeker
    Hi Vikram
    Yes, I am using the cable that came with the unit.

Hopefully, you can open the photo that I have attached. This shows what is on the u it screen all of the time and no matter what I try, I can't get past this. When it is connect to My Drive all it does is try to restore the unit and after a few seconds it gives up and starts again and continues like this
    kf17b16l6t80.jpg
  • Woody0909
    New Seeker
    Hi Doug
    Yes, I am plugged straight in to a USB socket in my Campervan.

Should this make any difference??
  • DougLap
    Superuser
    Hi @Woody0909

The USB sockets in vehicles are designs as data devices and as they only give a limited Amperage they will not provide enough power to a TT unit to run and top up the battery as well. I am sure I have heard of others having the same issue as a result of them connecting to a USB socket and not using the supplied Cig Socket hence I asked. You might try using an Apple or similar Mobile phone mains charger socket which will accept the USB cable from the TT unit and charge it for at least 2 hours then see what happens. Then if you get the same screen shot try connecting to the PC again with the My Drive Connect software running and see if it works as it is fully charged.

Doug
  • Woody0909
    New Seeker
    Thanks Doug
    I've still got the cig charger that came with the unit so I could give this a go but it wouldn't explain why both the original and replacement units have both been fine for 3 months and then suddenly just stop working.

I have had the unit on charge for three hours and connected to my MacBook with MyDrive open but I can't clear the unit screen which has this on the display

6afwtddb10gw.jpg
  • Willy875
    Willy875 Registered Users Posts: 3,915
    Revered Voyager

Woody0909
    Your device restores the Tomtom software to your device see my link in message above.
  • Woody0909
    New Seeker
    Still no good. The sat nav is just stuck on the same screen all of the time and the MyDrive keeps trying to restore the device but stops after a second or two and starts the process over and over again.

I think it might just be a rubbish product. I have a TomTom built in to the Fiat Ducato dash of my campervan and it is just as bad

• VikramK
    VikramK Registered Users, Administrators Posts: 13,133
    Hi @Woody0909
    You mentioned the device continuously trying to recover, but when our team checked the logs we don't see any background changes happening.

I have asked my team to create jobs for firmware repair.

Soft reset the device and check for updates..

Regards, Vikram

• Woody0909
    New Seeker
    Hi Vikram
    I have tried a soft reset but nothing happens and the device is stuck on this screen.

sol7okfonfqo.jpg
  • DougLap
    Superuser
    Hi @Woody0909

Looks like it needs returning under warrantee

Doug