No Satellites

Elton
Elton Registered Users Posts: 35
Renowned Wayfarer
Began a journey yesterday [GO Discover 7"] set the destination and the unit advised me it would take 40 minutes etc. But the map did not change from my home and no instructions were provided.
Arrived at my destination 24 miles away [I know the journey well] it would appear that the unit could find no satellites.
Reset to a new destination and once more nothing. The unit thought I was still at home!
Switched unit off and on again and still nothing. Then circa 20 minutes into the journey it finally found a satellite and worked properly.
All very strange ... is there a way to force the unit to look for satellites?

Answers

• DougLap
    DougLap Posts: 9,426
    Superuser
    Hi @Elton

I the area where you start is very built up with lots of tall buildings and trees it can be a possible issue. You can try a Soft Reset or pause when there is a clear view of the sky all around.

https://discussions.tomtom.com/en/discussion/1034215/how-to-reset-your-navigation-device/p1?new=1

Doug
  • Elton
    Renowned Wayfarer
    The unit was fully charged and also plugged into the car using the supplied lead and charger.
    Started from a rural area with some trees but nothing much followed by an 18mile journey down the M4 with clear skys. Reset attempted by my passenger on a few occasions but no joy at all. The unit still thought we were at home.
    Thanks for the reply but alas ...
  • DougLap
    DougLap Posts: 9,426
    Superuser
    Hi @Elton

Try doing the following and then see if the issue appears again at any time in the future,

Fully Charge the unit then take the unit outside well away from Building , Trees etc and with a clear view of the sky. When ready turn it on doing a Soft Reset then when it has restarted create a route and have the unit ready as if you were about to drive away. Now lay the unit down with the clear view of the sky and let if find all the satellites for about 30 minutes.. This is what is suggested if your unit is struggling finding the Satellites and once it has done this it should pick up the signals quicker in future. It enables the unit to update itself on the Sat connections.

Doug.
  • Elton
    Renowned Wayfarer
    Thanks Doug. I'll give that a whirl when we next plan on going anywhere. Busy with family this weekend but will give it a go if I have a chance.
    Very grateful.
  • Elton
    Renowned Wayfarer
    Took it out today, without trying the advice [as it's been raining] but it worked perfectly.
    Updated the maps via wifi and all appeared well until the journey home when the unit was trying to re-route me all over the place.

Was on the M4 with a simple 10mile journey to the end before turning left to get home and the unit wanted to reroute me first to a B class road over the mountain, before agreeing to an A class road leading to somewhere.
    I stayed on the M4 and arrived home 6-minutes before either other option.

My settings have not chenged since I was last out and the same journey undertaken to get home. On the first occasion it routed me correctly. So I have to summise that the last update has somehow done this :(
  • Elton
    Renowned Wayfarer
    It's been a while but here's an update.

Often I find myself searching for satellites after I've input a destination.
    Believing it's the heated windscreen I got out of the car, input the destination, satellites found straight away and once in the car no further issues.
    Wanting to fine hone this, I tried yesterday inputing a destination [no satellites found] then holding the TT momentarily outside the drivers windows, satellites found and off we jolly well go.
    In conclusion, the heated screen appears to block the initial 'satellite find' but thereafter can cope with the directions needed. Odd for sure.
    You'd think that if the heated screen was blocking the satellite signal it would do so at all times but that's not the case.

Unless anyone of the experts here can offer an alternative theory.