Possible scam site

Garth123
Garth123 Registered Users Posts: 13
Master Explorer
Had a customer PC in after trying to update maps
They followed a google search link to a company called lifetimegpspro.com
Chat assistant asked for phone number for 'engineer' to call back on
'engineer phoned asking customer to install 'Ultraviewer.net'
'engineer' then told customer 'all the drivers were corrupt' and then asked for bank information.
Customer at this point became suspicious and turned off computer
I have also followed this through and can confirm the number I was called on was 02033074636 which a brief internet search also appears to have been used in Garmin scams as well

Always check the search links to ensure you are clicking on a genuine one

Answers

• rider1rider
    rider1rider Registered Users Posts: 1,411
    Exalted Pioneer
  • torchie
    torchie Registered Users Posts: 4
    Apprentice Traveler
    This happened to me but they could only have got my phone number from TomTom. I was using their (genuine) ChatBot to get support and gave my number so that their Technical Staff could help me. I guess that someone in the their help department is passing these numbers on.
  • YamFazMan
    YamFazMan Posts: 20,790
    Superuser
    Hi
    @torchie
    Welcome to the site....
    torchie wrote: »
    This happened to me, but they could only have got my phone number from TomTom. I was using their (genuine) Chatbot to get support and gave my number so that their Technical Staff could help me. I guess that someone in their help department is passing these numbers on.
    I think you were probably on a Scam lookalike Tomtom website right from the very start....
    The Scam websites are visually very professional and are remarkably convincing....
    The Phone call or Chat line is where you get first get suckered in... then the Support Service person (Scammer) rings you to completes the Scam....
    See my Signature for more info....

Contacting Tomtom Support….
    Due to COVID-19 & Staff working from home….
    The phone service has been suspended (Indefinitely)

The way of contacting Customer Services has changed
    For Tomtom Support Email or Chat lines...
    (Monday to Friday Normal Office Hours)
    Chat… Will be available during Normal Office Hours
    Email… Will be available outside of Normal Office Hours

Step by step tips when Contacting Tomtom Support....
    Here... https://discussions.tomtom.com/en/discussion/comment/1771083/#Comment_1771083

Stay Safe... ATB YFM
  • torchie
    torchie Registered Users Posts: 4
    Apprentice Traveler
    This was the web page that I visited - https://help.tomtom.com/hc/en-gb Looks genuine to me. The amount of work to create all those page links would be too much for most scammers.
    Unless there is some sort of scam involving TomTom staff - it is easy to blame a scam site. This one is first on a Google search so TomTom should be getting it taken down,
    The first contact was made by the chat line then they asked for my phone number so that "technical support" could ring me. I did not download the chat contents text as my computer went wrong then. The phone number that called me was 02033074636 11 Feb 22 at 14.23 hours. Google gives this number as possible scam - it has been used against Garmin users too.
    The website I have given above is (and the chatbot too) - seem genuine - so how did they get my phone number? Unless passed on to the scammer by an accomplice at TomTom.
  • YamFazMan
    YamFazMan Posts: 20,790
    Superuser
    edited February 15
    Hi
    @torchie
    Yes... https://help.tomtom.com/hc/en-gb
    Is the Correct Tomtom Support site...

Stay Safe... ATB YFM