Go Premium X vs Go Discover

JP_RAVEN
JP_RAVEN Registered Users Posts: 24
Master Explorer
Hi, I recently "upgraded" from my Go 5000 to a new Go Discover, but only because that is what your web site recommended after I logged in and clicked "upgrade".

After receiving my new Go Discover (and having a few problems with it) I re-visited the web site only to discover that there was a seemingly superior model called Go Premium X.

Unfortunately the "Compare" button under "Compare Car SatNav" on your web site only displays the Classic, Essential and Discover, so I can't compare the Discover with the Premium X.

Can you please show me a comparison chart or list the differences?

Can you tell me which would have been the most comparable replacement for my old Go 5000?

I also own a motorcycle and have a TomTom Rider and share routes & places between them and TomTom MyDrive.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Best Answers

• DougLap
    DougLap Posts: 10,041
    Superuser
    Answer ✓
    Hi @JP_RAVEN

The inbuilt Sim enables the unit to connect to the TT servers, all with no data costs to you, and so the device can receive the latest Traffic and Cameras data along with any Route data you want sent to the unit.

One thing to be aware of is that all mobile sims in TT units, therefore including the Premium, 5200 and 6200, work on the 2g system. The 2g system is being closed down, ie Switzerland has closed it, and eventually other counties will follow, so that the inbuilt system is time limited. When the situation arises you can link your smart phone via Bluetooth or Personal Hotspot, as you need to do with the GO Discover, thus using your own mobile data.

Doug
  • MarkRS
    MarkRS Registered Users Posts: 1
    Novice Seeker
    Answer ✓
    I used to be a product manager for some mobile network infrastructure products. We were planning to end support for 2G data as the expectation was that with the introduction of 3g, all new mobiles would support that demand for 2g data would quickly ramp down. 2g data is circuit switched and very inefficient and costly to process. Then, instead of demand for 2g decreasing we started to see it increasing dramatically, starting in Germany. The reason was that smart meters were being rolled out using this long obsolete technology. Same thing happened in other countries. I calculated that having to continue support for 2g data cost the company at least 25 million euros. As there are so many of these smart meters installed in certain countries, support for 2g has to continue for quite a few years.

Answers

• Willy875
    Willy875 Registered Users Posts: 6,530
    Elite Voyager
    Hi
    The difference between the two is that the Go Premium X. Has a Sim card the Go Discover does not.
  • JP_RAVEN
    Master Explorer
    Thanks Willy875 but could you clarify what functions the SIM card is there for on the Go Premium X, for example live traffic info, connectivity to TomTom MyDrive, map updates, speed camera updates, software updates, etc. Or do some of the latter features still require a Wi-Fi or USB connection?
  • DougLap
    Superuser
    Answer ✓
    Hi @JP_RAVEN

The inbuilt Sim enables the unit to connect to the TT servers, all with no data costs to you, and so the device can receive the latest Traffic and Cameras data along with any Route data you want sent to the unit.

One thing to be aware of is that all mobile sims in TT units, therefore including the Premium, 5200 and 6200, work on the 2g system. The 2g system is being closed down, ie Switzerland has closed it, and eventually other counties will follow, so that the inbuilt system is time limited. When the situation arises you can link your smart phone via Bluetooth or Personal Hotspot, as you need to do with the GO Discover, thus using your own mobile data.

Doug
  • JP_RAVEN
    Master Explorer
    Hi @DougLap

That's useful to know. I currently have a Go 5000, so I assume it uses 2G as well and will suffer the same loss of connectivity. Is there any plan to bring out future TT SatNavs with a built-in 3G SIM? Presumably 3G will continue to work for a few more years...

Apart from the built-in SIM are there any other differences between the Go Premium X and the Go Discover? I need to know whether I should send back my newly bought Go Discover for a refund and buy a Go Premium instead... or is there any point in doing so?

With all IT equipment, I usually believe in buying the top of the range or best I can afford.

Thanks,
    JP
  • Willy875
    Willy875 Registered Users Posts: 6,530
    Elite Voyager
    Hi
    The 3G will also be extinguished now it is the 4 G see the 5 G

to be on the safe side for the moment Tomtom is not planning a new GPS with a 4 or 5 G Sim card.
  • DougLap
    Superuser
    Hi @JP_RAVEN

As I understand it most operators think it is quite possible that 3g systems will be turned Off before 2g in the same countries indeed I have seen it suggested that EE may shut down 3g in 2023 whilst 2g could continue for some years after that.

The only announcement that TT have made re further devices with Sim installations was when they indicated they they were looking to release in Autumn this year a mobile sim version of the GO Expert the Truck unit with a 4G sim. However they have subsequently advised that this will not be coming as planned because of the current Chip shortages. Whether this will be resurrected later and a similar GO Discover version has not been indicated.

One major difference with the GO Discover is that at the moment you cannot add your own or 3rd Party POI files or record a journey and save it for later. Whether they will be adding these functions to the device are no known other than within TT. You can create routes Off the device and send them to and save on the the GO Discover as you can the GO Premium.

Doug
  • JP_RAVEN
    Master Explorer
    Hi @DougLap

Thanks for that info. As I'm in the UK, it sounds like I may as well return my newly purchased Go Discover and either continue using my Go 5000 (there's nothing wrong with it apart from the battery life) or perhaps order a Go Premium X in the knowledge that sooner or later, the built-in 2G SIM will stop working, at which point I will have to tether the device to my phone using Bluetooth or Personal Hotspot, or consider buying another device.

Thanks again for all your advice.

JP
  • TomFriar
    TomFriar Registered Users Posts: 1
    Apprentice Seeker
    Hi JP Raven
    I had the same question and experience as you because I am looking to upgrade my GO 5000. From the replies you got, it sounds like the built in sim is useful for live data updating while map updates are done at home through Wi-Fi. One of the reasons I am looking to update is the lack of speed in updating maps. I wonder if the GO Premium will update maps more quickly or will it still be slow because of the 2G story your post uncovered.
    May I suggest you might consider using your phone as the satnav rather than tethering your satnav to the phone when 2G and 3G are turned off?

TomFriar
  • JP_RAVEN
    Master Explorer
    Hi TomFriar
    Having realised that I'd been fooled into "upgrading" to an inferior device (the web site encouraged me to upgrade but didn't show me the full range - until it was too late), I ended up sending the Go Discover back for a refund. To be honest, the only reason I wanted to upgrade was that the battery life on my old Go 5000 was getting very poor. In the end, I found a replacement battery on Amazon for a few pounds and some excellent videos on YouTube which guided me through the battery replacement process.
    I see no point in spending hundreds of pounds on "upgrading" to a Go Premium X which doesn't appear to offer anything more than my current Go 5000.
    I don't think the Go Premium is likely to update maps any quicker than the Go 5000. If anything, updating over Wi-Fi is likely to be slower than through a USB cable. The 2G SIM is not for map updates but for live traffic information.
    I could use my phone as a SatNav, but it's an inferior alternative. I think we're likely to still have 2G reception in the UK for some time, but for now I will hold off upgrading.
    Thanks for your input.
  • MarkRS
    MarkRS Registered Users Posts: 1
    Novice Seeker
    Answer ✓
    I used to be a product manager for some mobile network infrastructure products. We were planning to end support for 2G data as the expectation was that with the introduction of 3g, all new mobiles would support that demand for 2g data would quickly ramp down. 2g data is circuit switched and very inefficient and costly to process. Then, instead of demand for 2g decreasing we started to see it increasing dramatically, starting in Germany. The reason was that smart meters were being rolled out using this long obsolete technology. Same thing happened in other countries. I calculated that having to continue support for 2g data cost the company at least 25 million euros. As there are so many of these smart meters installed in certain countries, support for 2g has to continue for quite a few years.
  • JP_RAVEN
    Master Explorer
    Hi @MarkRS that's very useful to know. Here in the UK, smart meters are being very heavily encouraged and rolled out at a significant pace, so assuming British smart meters also use 2g, it may well be that 2g will have to carry on for many years until an economical alternative can be found. This is very encouraging news. I am glad I sent back the Go Premium X for a refund and just replaced the battery myself on my Go 5000. The latter continues to work very well for me.

Thank you for your useful comment Mark.