traffic jams — TomTom Discussions

traffic jams

a92971
a92971 Registered Users Posts: 42
Master Explorer
edited December 2021 in Devices using Wi-Fi®
I have a 7-inch device without a wireless internet connection
Does the device not need to detect traffic loads at all?
Do I need an internet connection?
How exactly do I get an internet connection?

Answers

• Willy875
    Willy875 Registered Users Posts: 3,724
    Revered Voyager
    Without internet connection no traffic warning or speed camera warning.
  • a92971
    Master Explorer
    I did not understand the answer.
    What does a traffic warning mean?
    What is yes and what is not?
  • Willy875
    Revered Voyager
    Without internet connection, no traffic jam warning on your route or speed camera warning.

GO Discover doit être connecté à un smartphone pour avoir les alertes embouteillages.
  • a92971
    Master Explorer
    When there is no internet connection, does the device have priority over any other navigation device or is it a standard navigation device?
  • Willy875
    Revered Voyager
    Without internet connection it is a standard navigation device
  • DougLap
    DougLap Posts: 9,377
    Superuser
    Hi @a92971

You either pair the 7” Discover unit via Bluetooth so that it can use you data allowance on your smart phone or you can connect it to a Smartphone Hotspot to d get the data that way using your phone plans data allowance.

Your unit should get traffic when connected to your Wifi

Doug
  • a92971
    Master Explorer
    that's very weird.
    At first after buying yes I saw traffic jams even though there was no internet connection. Now it's stopped.
    I was also told in the purchase that even without the Internet there is a satellite connection
  • DougLap
    Superuser
    Hi @a92971

In order for you to have seen Traffic jams etc then it is either connected to your Wifi or it is connected to your Smart Phone.

Have you checked that the unit is connecting via Bluetooth when out of Wifi range. Are you remembering to make sure that Personal Hotspot is also turned on or Tethering as that is required for a Bluetooth connection.

Also look back here tomorrow to see what @VikramK or @lampard have to say after they have checked your units settings on the TT servers in case a change is required to restore Traffic etc to the device.

Doug
  • a92971
    Master Explorer
    1. I do not have a smartphone at all. I have a phone with no internet at all.
    2. At the time of purchase I was told that without an internet connection I would not have fuel prices etc, but there is still a detection of traffic loads via satellite.
    3. In the first period I did have traffic updates and many times I saw traffic loads with no internet connection at all. I think it stopped after I ordered an update to the device.
    4. I talked to a friend of mine who also has the device and also has no internet and he told me that with him it works properly and he has an update on traffic loads even without an internet connection at all.
  • Willy875
    Revered Voyager
    You must connect your GO Discover to the Internet via a smartphone in order to obtain traffic information to have the update services in real time
  • a92971
    Master Explorer
    Maybe I did not understand you correctly. I'm sorry but you do not answer my question.
    Why did I initially have yes warnings about traffic loads?
    Maybe we're talking about something else.
    I ask again, is there a difference between the device and a standard GPS device when there is no internet connection?
    If not - why did I initially see traffic loads?
  • Willy875
    Revered Voyager
    When the traffic is active on a GPS the screen is your screen like this?

pwqxq1pjwzop.jpg

Connecting a GO Discover or GO Expert to TomTom services using your smartphone

https://help.tomtom.com/hc/en-gb/articles/360018677960-Connexion-d-un-GO-Discover-ou-d-un-GO-Expert-aux-services-TomTom-à-l-aide-de-votre-smartphone
  • a92971
    Master Explorer
    No.
    But at first when I purchased yes there were red marks
  • DougLap
    Superuser
    Hi @a92971

There are no Mobile sims in the GO Expert, the Truck Unit, or the GO Discover units , the car based units, so the only way the devices can receive the Traffic Data is by the units being connected to a Smartphone via Bluetooth and use the data allowance in the Phones Sim Plan or when the units are connected to your Wifi.

If you have not got a Smartphone then I would assume that you have seen the Traffic information displayed on the unit when was turned on and it was able to connect to your Wifi. This Data would continue to be displayed when you leave Wifi range however the data will not be updated as is normal approximately every 2 minutes so the unit will not know of jams that have cleared or new holdups . It will also not be aware of any Traffic information once you are more than 50 miles from where you started.

With no Smartphone if you start the device out of Wifi range then it will not receive any Traffic Data and so not display at all.

Doug
  • a92971
    Master Explorer
    I do not understand.
    To my friend it does work.
    Maybe there is a difference between the different models?
  • DougLap
    Superuser
    edited December 2021
    Hi @a92971

What model does your friend have. If it is a GO Expert or GO Discover unit does he connect his Smartphone to it.

Some Tomtom units have inbuilt Mobile Phone Sims so they are able to connect to the TT servers via the mobile phone system with no need to connect to a phone.

Doug
  • a92971
    Master Explorer
    My friend does not have a smartphone
    I do not know what model he has
    Is there a particular model where there is no need for an internet connection?
  • DougLap
    Superuser
    Hi @a92971

There are a number of TT devices that operate using an inbuilt Mobile Sim, ie the GO Premium, GO5200 or GO6200 are recent models. However there are unit some 10 years old that have the inbuilt facility.

Doug
  • a92971
    Master Explorer
    And maybe I have this model so at first it worked for me?
    How do I know which model I have?
    I bought about half a year ago at Amazon for £ 279.
    7-inch screen
  • a92971
    Master Explorer
    TomTom Car Sat Nav GO Discover, 7 Inch, with Traffic Congestion and Speed Cam Alerts thanks to TomTom Traffic, World Maps, Quick-Updates via WiFi, Parking Availability, Fuel Prices, Click-Drive Mount
  • a92971
    Master Explorer
    This is what is written on Amazon about the product I purchased
  • DougLap
    Superuser
    edited December 2021
    Hi @a92971

As a 7” device it had to be a GoDiscover or Go Expert

If the unit is turned Off then Press and hold the On/Off button in until you see the Tomtom sign the quickly release the Button then repress and hold it. You should get a page with White writing appear with info on the unit

Doug
  • a92971
    Master Explorer
    מצ"ב תמונה של הדגם של המכשיר
  • Willy875
    Revered Voyager
    ZW = Go Discover
  • a92971
    Master Explorer
    Okay
    And what does that say about my question?
    Why at the beginning after the purchase the device showed me a traffic load and now not?