Is this a hardware issue, connecting to MyDrive/Home?

nmccann
nmccann Registered Users Posts: 4
Apprentice Seeker
Hi - My 5100 hasn't been updated since September 2019 and I can no longer get it to connect (status = not connected'). I've read the FAQs and some more in-depth posts to no avail. The device is not recognised by the PC when it's plugged in and I'm missing the Network Adapter that the troubleshooting says should be there in Device Manager (it's not under the 'other' or 'USB' sections either).

I could be wrong but I gather that it's now normal not to receive a notification of a USB device being plugged in, is that correct? The docs say if the driver doesn't exist then Windows will install it when it connects but this doesn't happen for me.

I've reset the device, reinstalled MyDrive, tried different combinations of ports/cables/PCs etc. and even tried the old 'Home' app. All of these combinations will charge the device but none will connect to the software.

Could this be a hardware fault with the device and is there any way to verify that? Can the driver for the network adapter be installed manually (not sure if that would help).

Thanks,
Nick

Answers

• Willy875
    Willy875 Registered Users Posts: 6,623
    Elite Voyager
  • nmccann
    Apprentice Seeker
    Thanks for your reply. I have been through all of the docs/FAQs/posts that I could find but none of it has helped. I'm quite IT literate, having been in the game a while, but this has me stumped. For example there is no activity in Device Manager when connecting/disconnecting the device and refreshing the hardware list. There are no 'USB Device Connected' notifications. So all I can think of, after trying multiple cables/machines, is that the USB port on the device is defective (although it charges fine).
  • Willy875
    Willy875 Registered Users Posts: 6,623
    Elite Voyager
    Have you tried moving the mini jack?
  • nmccann
    Apprentice Seeker
    Willy875 wrote: »
    Have you tried moving the mini jack?

As in wiggling it around? Yes, as I've had charging issues in the car sometimes when the jack is a slack fit. In fact I can reproduce that issue by wiggling it (screen dims and sleep timer starts) but it doesn't have an intermittent data connection from what I can see.
  • Answer43
    Answer43 Registered Users Posts: 1
    New Seeker
    I had this problem once with my GO5100 - it was the cable!. You need the one originally supplied not a cheap replacement which likely wont work. I lost my original one - tried several 'compatible' ones and eventually found one that did work. Otherwise you'll need to invest in a new one from TOMTOM I guess.
    PS to be fair, TT does recommend only using the USB cable provided.
  • nmccann
    Apprentice Seeker
    Answer43 wrote: »
    I had this problem once with my GO5100 - it was the cable!. You need the one originally supplied not a cheap replacement which likely wont work. I lost my original one - tried several 'compatible' ones and eventually found one that did work. Otherwise you'll need to invest in a new one from TOMTOM I guess.
    PS to be fair, TT does recommend only using the USB cable provided.

Thanks for that. My original broke years ago, the one I'm using now used to work. I'll bite the bullet and get a new one from TT.

• minizv
    minizv Registered Users Posts: 4
    Apprentice Seeker
    edited February 25
    I have the same problem, also with a GO5100, and have tried everything, several times, that the help files suggest. I too have this problem: "I'm missing the Network Adapter that the troubleshooting says should be there in Device Manager." I was using the original cable and have tried 2 others. I have now been at this for 90 minutes and, despite trying everthing, I still have "Not Connected!" Any help appreciated.