3 loud beeps and YES or NO? Appears on screen

JonathanG
JonathanG Registered Users Posts: 45
Master Explorer
Recently with my ESSENTIAL when I turn on device there are 3 loud beeps and YES or NO? appears on screen (although the question is not shown) - the “yes” part is a progress bar of sorts and gradually fills up with blue, then the 2 choices disappear - what the heck is this and how do I get rid of it? I believe I have turned off voice commands and sharing, so I'm confused. Thanks Jonathan

Answers

• JonathanG
    Master Explorer
    PS - I did get a reply from tech support, but quite frankly I don't know what they're smoking over theese : "I understand from your e-mail that your TomTom START 52 device is freezing on the startup screen." which has ZERO to do with my problem
  • JonathanG
    Master Explorer
    PSS - if it at all helps, these 2 options appear in low right hand corner of screen, but again, the question related to YES or NO is totally absent - I just searched through Essentials manual, and the only thing I could come up with was PREDICTION, although I see no reason why this suddenly produces two options when booting the device. So again, I'm totally at a loss. I have also tried hiting both YES and NO in the hope that this would lead to something that would shed clarify on the underlying question, but hitting yes or no does nothing, while waiting for progress bar to fill up and disappear does nothing either, other than to waste time.
  • YamFazMan
    YamFazMan Posts: 20,502
    Superuser
    edited December 2021
    Hi
    @JonathanG
    Welcome to the site....
    When this happens, are you near a known Mobile Speed Cam location....
    Also Is there also a small splash screen at the top of the screen that only displays for a couple of seconds saying "Is the Speed Camera still present Yes or No" ???

Stay Safe... ATB YFM
  • JonathanG
    Master Explorer
    Thanks. First of all I'm now in France, so there are no speed cameras here, as far as I known, and no, I did not see the question asked at all, all I see in lower right hand corner, announced by 3 loud beeps, is YES? or NO?, then the YES fills up gradually with blue, then the whole bloody thing disappears.
  • JonathanG
    Master Explorer
    please note that I also reposted early this same query in the ESSENTIAL part of this forum, although I presume it makes no difference to you... (I first bought basic, then essential when leaving UK)
  • JonathanG
    Master Explorer
    there is a very very slim possiblity that there is a question about speed cameras, above the yes or no, but due to presentation of screen, I noticed nothing obvious during the 5-6 times I've seen this - and the transitory nature of the YES and NO, lasting about 5 seconds, renders any study impossible - next time I'm in the car, I'll try to take a screenshot on my phone, but 1) if it is a speed camera question that suddenly appears in France, how to get rid or it? and 2) if it is not related to speed cameras, then what the heck is it?? Thanks
  • YamFazMan
    YamFazMan Posts: 20,502
    Superuser
    Hi
    @JonathanG
    In France, your Tomtom will be warning you about a Danger Zone...

Stay Safe... ATB YFM
  • JonathanG
    Master Explorer
    Thanks, but I don't think any Danger Zone warnings would explain why when I start up my car and TomTom I get 3 loud beeps and a YES or NO question on screen - is there no rationale to this and why to stop it??
  • Willy875
    Willy875 Registered Users Posts: 3,911
    Revered Voyager
    Hi @JonathanG
    In the settings, refuse to Keep trip history on the device.
  • JonathanG
    Master Explorer
    Thanks Willy - where is TRIP HISTORY in settings? Why does this provoke a YES or NO question at startup ?? Also, I just ended chat session with TT tech support and they said to either turn off SHARING by clicking question mark - as the progressive filling up of the YES? question with blue seems rather unsual, it would seem that this would enable one to pinpoint the exact cause, right?
  • JonathanG
    Master Explorer
    I just searched for term HISTORY in manual but it was not found - is this exact term??
  • JonathanG
    Master Explorer
    Is this what I need to turn off : "Keep journey history on this device for optional features"?
  • Willy875
    Willy875 Registered Users Posts: 3,911
    Revered Voyager
    You can deactivate them to see if it suits you, if it doesn't suit you you can always reactivate them.

This allows you to solve your beep-beep problem.
  • JonathanG
    Master Explorer
    I'll give it a try tomorrow when I use car - obviously I don't need 3 loud beeps every time I start device and I definitely haven't had this problem previously! very odd indeed - I'll let you know if turning off "prediction" which seems to be what you are alluding to, works or not, thanks