Maps on SD card

rpher
rpher Registered Users Posts: 18
Master Explorer
I have just installed version 3.3.31 on a samsung tablet S7 FE. The maps installed on the tablet memory. I saw a post here saying that if there was more room on an external SD card than on the tablet when Tomtom was first installed then the maps would be installed on the SD card. So I deleted my maps and uninstalled tomtom, inserted an almost empty SD card and re-installed everything. The 3.5 GB of maps went back to the tablet memory, and when I had finished I found I had 2.5 GB less free memory on the tablet than before.
So is there a way to install the maps to the SD card?
How can I recover my lost 2.5 GB?
Where are the maps stored and why are they hidden away?
Ideas anyone?
Tagged:

Best Answer

• lampard
    lampard Administrators Posts: 6,061
    Answer ✓
    Hi @rpher
    Unfortunately it says that Android 11 (which I have) does not support the maps on an SD card, which probably explains why it did not work.
    I didn't realize that you might be using Android 11 and yes, the restriction came up with the Android 11 so we had to drop support. We are working on supporting adaptable storage for map storage.

Best, lampard

Answers

• lampard
    edited December 2021
    Hi @rpher

Have you seen this article here to download the maps on the SD card? Can you please start from scratch and see if this helps you?

Best, lampard
  • grof
    grof Registered Users Posts: 99
    Supreme Trailblazer
    Hi @lampard

I don't see how this can still work! Have we not already established that since the rollout of 3.3.14 The app/map cannot be stored on SD cards!? If they could surely there wouldn't be so many people, like me, asking for it to be fixed!!!!
  • rpher
    rpher Registered Users Posts: 18
    Master Explorer
    Hi @lampard
    Thanks for the interesting article. Unfortunately it says that Android 11 (which I have) does not support the maps on an SD card, which probably explains why it did not work.
    Why does every new version seem to reduce functionality?
    The article goes on to say that the sd card can be formatted as internal storage (an option that I failed to find) and that one can change the storage location for an app via Settings->Apps->Tomtom->Storage Change.
    I tried this despite not having formatted the SD card as internal storage and despite having Android 11, and it said it had done the transfer. In fact it appeared to have moved only 200MB rather than the 3.8 GB I was hoping for.
    Is this what you would expect?
    And have you any idea where my 2.5 GB went when I uninstalled and reinstalled Tomtom?
    Thanking you
  • lampard
    Answer ✓
    Hi @rpher
    Unfortunately it says that Android 11 (which I have) does not support the maps on an SD card, which probably explains why it did not work.
    I didn't realize that you might be using Android 11 and yes, the restriction came up with the Android 11 so we had to drop support. We are working on supporting adaptable storage for map storage.

Best, lampard