Install only UK and Ireland Map for TomTOM GO 6100 — TomTom Discussions

Install only UK and Ireland Map for TomTOM GO 6100

GregBear
GregBear Registered Users Posts: 8
New Seeker
I updated my TomTom Go 6100 to the latest Europe and Uk maps.
Because of the size I had to install to an SD Card.
Doing this wiped the existing Maps in the internal memory.
Can I install just the UK and Ireland maps to the internal storage (8gb).
I understand this is possible if TomTom enable me to download just the UK and Ireland Maps.
I wish to do this in case of SD Card failure.
Many Thanks.

Best Answers

• VikramK
    VikramK Registered Users, Administrators Posts: 13,088
    Accepted Answer
    Hi @GregBear
    We have activated a smaller map of UK and ROI for your TomTom. Could you check for updates now and see if it gets offered?

- Vikram
  • GregBear
    New Seeker
    edited December 2021 Accepted Answer
    Thank you very much Viram.
    I updated successfully.
    I now have the stand alone UK and ROI maps on my internal memory.
    I also have Europe, UK and ROI on my SD Card.
    Exactly as I wanted everything in case of SD Card failure.
    Thanks again Vikram and thank you to everyone else who helped me with this as well.

Answers

• DougLap
    DougLap Posts: 9,383
    Superuser
    Hi @GregBear

Tomtom units default position is that a map will auto load on the internal memory unless it is too big for the available space. If however there is already a map on the device then you are given th option to request where it is loaded unless it is too big for the available spaces.

Doug
  • GregBear
    New Seeker
    Thanks for the info DougLap.
    I have downloaded the Europe and UK maps on to the SD Card.
    What I want to do is to download just the smaller UK maps onto the internal memory.
    Thus having a backup in case the Sd Card fails.
    The smaller maps are not available by default.
    I understand that the forum Moderator can enable individuals to download a smaller Uk only map.
    This is what I am after thank you.
  • DougLap
    Superuser
    Hi @gregbear.

If you delete the UK map then re download it you should be offered the chance to load it on the internal memory which it should want to do by default.

Doug
  • GregBear
    New Seeker
    Thanks again Doug.
    I only have the option of downloading the whole of Europe and UK.
    Which I did.
    That only fits on the SD Card.
    (My TOMTOM only has 8GB internal memory.)
    What I would like is for the moderator to give me access to the stand alone Uk maps.
    Then I could install them on my internal memory as a back up.
    Having re-read some earlier posts I note that the moderator has enabled the installing of the stand alone UK and Ireland Maps for other forum members.
    Many thanks.
  • Willy875
    Willy875 Registered Users Posts: 3,758
    Revered Voyager
    edited December 2021
    You can only install one UK or Europe map either on internal memory or on an Sd card not both for backups it is on Tomtom servers.
  • GregBear
    New Seeker
    Thank you both for your help.
    In the thread 'Installing new version of maps on memory card' (September 2019) the Moderator 'VikramK' says to the thread starter that, 'A smaller map of UK and ROI has been activated for your TomTom'.
    I have read also that the smaller map can be installed on the internal memory as well as the larger Europe map on the SD Card.
    But even if that were not possible I would rather just install the smaller UK and ROI maps to the internal memory even if I couldn't have the Europe maps.
    To do that I need the smaller stand alone UK and ROI maps that VikramK has enabled for other users.
    At the moment the smaller stand alone UK and ROI maps do not appear as an option within TomTom MyDrive connect.
    So it would appear that it can be made available to me if Moderator VikramK would kindly activate it for my device.
    Thanks again.
  • DougLap
    Superuser
    Hi @GregBear

Your GO6100 comes with World Maps and you say you have downloaded the Europe Map and the U.K. map which we interpret to mean you have 2 individual maps on your device. Once you have loaded a particular map onto the device it no longer appears in the list of maps available to download.

Now if what I have said describes your situation then to transfer the map from the external to internal memory can be done as I described earlier. If you delete the UK map from your device then it will reappear in the list of maps available to download. If now selected as it will easily fit on the internal memory unless you request otherwise that is where it will be put.

As @Willy875 has said you cannot load the same map on the device however you can load, delete and reload a map as many times as you like.

Doug
  • GregBear
    New Seeker
    Thanks Doug.
    My TomTom Go 6100 had full European including Uk and ROI installed.
    When I upgraded the Maps in TomTom My Drive I was only given the option of downloading European and Uk and ROI as one download.
    There is no option for a separate Uk and ROI.
    When I upgraded the maps they would not fit on the internal memory (8GB) so I had to download them to the SD Card.
    (Because the updated maps are larger than the originally installed ones.)
    So I now have one map (Europe Uk and ROI) on the SD Card.
    There is no map on the internal memory..
    On my TomTom My Drive there is no option for separate Europe and UK and ROI maps.
    They are one large map.
    I have had SD Cards fail so I want to download only the Uk and ROI maps to the iinternal memory.
    I understand the only way to download the UK and ROI maps is by the Moderator VikramK activating the stand alone UK and ROI maps on my account as he has stated he has done for other forum members in other threads.
    Many thanks.
  • DougLap
    Superuser
    edited December 2021
    Hi @GregBear

If you open the My Drive Connect software and select your device then My Content then under My Maps do you see a list of circa 56 maps to select from. If you don’t see this list of maps then either you have not got a GO6100 which comes with World Maps or if it is it has lost it’s World Map setting in the TT servers.

Doug
  • GregBear
    New Seeker
    Thanks again Doug.
    I have the TomTom Go 6100 with lifetime maps.
    All the maps are listed in My Drive Connect.
    There is no option to download just the UK and ROI maps separate from the Europe maps. Which is what I want to do, so they fit in the internal memory.
    From reading through various posts, including the one I mentioned earlier in this thread, the Moderator VikramK can enable me to have access to the smaller stand alone UK and ROI maps by activating it within my account.
    Thanks for your suggestions.
  • DougLap
    Superuser
    edited December 2021
    Hi @GregBear

I appreciate that @VikramK has added the UK&Roi map to some users accounts for the reason you give. He adds the map to their account because they do not have any small secondary map available too them. What is odd in your case is that you say you have the world maps but you cannot download the U.K. one. You should be able to download any of them provided you have available space. The fact you have a Europe map with the U.K. incorporated in it does not affect you having the individual U.K. map as well as I have on my device.

Let us see what @VikramK has to say tomorrow after he has reviewed your units logs and settings on the TT servers.

One possibility is that you have already loaded the map but it has become corrupted so will not display and so you also would not have the option to reload it. In that case allocating the map again would not be possible. How much free memory do you have on the internal memory as that will indicate if the corrupt map is there. If it is then resolving the issue requires help from @VikramK to remove the corrupt map whereas if it is on the extra memory card the problem can be resolved as follows.

Firstly download the Venezuela map to the internal memory to ensure you have a map on the unit then remove the SD card and after checking the unit works with the small map do a full, not quick format, of the card on your PC to Fat32 then reinsert and reload the maps. The U.K. map if done first should then by default load on the devices internal memory.

Doug
  • GregBear
    New Seeker
    Thanks for all that Doug.
    I did all that you suggested but at no point was there an option to just download Uk and ROI maps.
    The Uk and ROI maps appear only with the' Europe' maps section as 'Europe, UK and ROI'.
    It seems to function as one large map.
    It shows up on my TomTom as one map, stored on the SD Card.
    The only option was to install them on the SD Card as the internal memory wouldn't fit them.
    So I would still like to have a stand alone UK and ROI map that would fit onto my internal memory if posssible.
    As you say, perhaps VikramK can help in this matter.
    Thanks again for your help.
  • VikramK
    Accepted Answer
    Hi @GregBear
    We have activated a smaller map of UK and ROI for your TomTom. Could you check for updates now and see if it gets offered?

- Vikram
  • GregBear
    New Seeker
    edited December 2021 Accepted Answer
    Thank you very much Viram.
    I updated successfully.
    I now have the stand alone UK and ROI maps on my internal memory.
    I also have Europe, UK and ROI on my SD Card.
    Exactly as I wanted everything in case of SD Card failure.
    Thanks again Vikram and thank you to everyone else who helped me with this as well.
  • Greg999
    Greg999 Registered Users Posts: 8
    Apprentice Traveler
    edited January 8
    VikramK, can you do the same for me? I just need the UK one. Thank you.

Just to add, I have so many POI that the unit keeps crashing. When I remove the POI’s it works fine. I’m guessing it’s a memory thing?
  • VikramK
    Hi @Greg999
    UK and ROI map has been activated for your TomTom.

Regards
    Vikram
  • Al1109
    Al1109 Registered Users Posts: 4
    Apprentice Seeker
    Can I ask, when you change to the UK/ROI maps does the tomtom start quicker? I was looking at this option for my tomtom 6000, as I have no need to for for the full european mapping all the the time, is it possible for me to have UK/ROI on my account as well please, if I can have the option to switch between the 2 it would be very handy, thanks.
  • Greg999
    Greg999 Registered Users Posts: 8
    Apprentice Traveler
    VikramK wrote: »
    Hi @Greg999
    UK and ROI map has been activated for your TomTom.

Regards
    Vikram

That’s great. Thank you.