Support?

Tommo61
Tommo61 Registered Users Posts: 7
Master Traveler
How do people find TomTom Support?

In the UK, I'm finding it non-existent right now. I've bought a new device, which has been beset with problems 'out of the box'. - The 'lifetime traffic' wasn't set up for life, so had to be fixed. - To be fair on this point, the resolution was prompt but it shouldn't have been a problem in the first place on a product boxed and branded with Lifetime Traffic..

Now the device wont connect to MyDrive Connect for the first time. No amount of resets, reinstalls or working through KBAs will fix it, so in this respect, half the device functionality (offline planning and upload/download) is missing.

Th TomTom support pages either just loop to the forum, or (I assum when they're not busy) just point you to 4 options. 1) Read the manual, 2) Watch a video, 3) Ask someone else (forum discussion), 4) Ask the chatbot.

I've tried all these options and am getting nowhere. - I don't expect when trying to get a brand new product to do what it's sold on, to have to rely on the support of other customers help to get it resolved.

The chatbot just sent me 1 link to something I'd alread read and then literally stopped talking to me. - Whatever i type, it animates that it's responding and nothing comes back..

How do I engage with anyone real who can help fix things?
As usual, the pandemic seems to be conveniently getting the blame for the lack of any kind of human contact, so no numbers to call.

Where do people go next? - i bought this thing through Amazon, so sending it back will be a PITA and probably wouldn't get fixed at the discounted Black Friday price I bought it for..

Comments

• Willy875
    Willy875 Registered Users Posts: 5,341
    Revered Voyager
    How to contact customer service.

How to contact TomTom customer support by chat or email
    https://help.tomtom.com/hc/en-gb/articles/360015568919/

How to contact TomTom customer support by email
    https://help.tomtom.com/hc/en-gb/requests/new?ticket_form_id=360000679560
  • DougLap
    DougLap Posts: 9,828
    Superuser
    edited December 2021
    Hi @Tommo61

If you are opening the My Drive Connect Software on your PC then connecting the GO E essential then you will see a screen saying Update the easy way. At this point you use the menu options on the GO Essential to manage updates and Map downloads etc. The connection you have made wi the PC only enables the connection to the internet via the PC .

The unit is designed to be managed when it is directly connected to your Wifi and the only function that necessitates the connection to a PC with my Drive Connect running is if you have to run the Recovery process.

Should you have to contact Customer Support try the following.

Tap Support at the top of this page
    You then HAVE to Sign in Top Right of next Page. (you have to do this)
    When signed in, and not before, Tap Contact Us bottom right
    Support Box appears and at the bottom with a message option
    Type Contact or Chat in the box
    If Chat is available you should be offered the chance to Tap Live Chat
    If it is Out of Hours for Chat you should be offered an option to message

If it does not work exactly as described then try another Web Browser.

Doug
  • Tommo61
    Master Traveler
    Thanks @DougLap however, I'm not getting this far. :)

When I'm connected via USB, the WiFi gets disabled and on my Mac I get a network connection to the TT with a self assigned IP and an amber status (locally connected only - no internet). - According to the KBAs, this is how it should be and makes sense as it's just talking to the MyDrive App.

There's no message to 'update the easy way'. I just get a screen, which displays as follows , after the initial 'Add a Device/Add your first device' screen:

q11dntlr583n.png

When I hit "Continue", it just loops back to this screen with no other options or means of breaking out of the script. = The TT is logged into my MyDrive account and syncing.

I've tried all this on a Windows PC too and get exactly the same. - All the online scripts lead me down the road of contacting Support, which is where all my frustration is occurring as there is seemingly nobody there. I went into Map updates as you've mentioned above too, - This isn't the documented path, but in any case it so happens there were a couple of new traffic and map updates, but it made no difference to the MyDrive connection problem I'm having.
  • YamFazMan
    YamFazMan Posts: 20,790
    Superuser
    Hi
    @Tommo61
    Installing MyDrive Connect....
    See... https://help.tomtom.com/hc/en-gb/articles/360013959499-Installing-MyDrive-Connect

Stay Safe ATB YFM
  • Tommo61
    Master Traveler
    @Willy875 @DougLap Thanks for the tips on contacting support. - I though I had already logged in, so possibly missed this step. - At least once I'd done that I was able to activate the chat link with an agent. - 1st line couldn't resolve it, so they have taken the case away, so at least it's logged and under investigation now. :)
  • Howard98579
    Howard98579 Registered Users Posts: 1
    New Seeker
    I`m having the same problems of trying to add my new devise to my account ,It was listed on there 1 time , now not there at all.
    Chatbot doesn't work .
  • YamFazMan
    YamFazMan Posts: 20,790
    Superuser
    Hi
    @Howard98579
    The phone service has been suspended (Indefinitely) [/color]
    The way of contacting Customer Services has changed
    For Tomtom Support Email or Chat lines...
    (Monday to Friday Normal Office Hours)
    Chat… Will be available during Normal Office Hours
    Email… Will be available outside of Normal Office Hours

Step by step tips when Contacting Tomtom Support....
    Here... https://discussions.tomtom.com/en/discussion/comment/1771083/#Comment_1771083

Stay Safe... ATB YFM