Vibration from engine — TomTom Discussions

Vibration from engine

Walshmefc
Walshmefc Registered Users Posts: 3
Apprentice Seeker
Hey everyone, does anyone have a solution for the Tom tom 550 vibrating while riding, I used to use the quad lock vibration dapener when I used my phone. Any help will be appreciated. tia

Answers

• TigerRider
    TigerRider Registered Users Posts: 168
    Exalted Navigator
    edited December 2021
    @Walshmefc , maybe consider a change of ride.

Got mine on the bars of a Triumph Tiger1050. No vibration.

Chances are its resonating at your normal rev range. Maybe try moving the thing to a difference place on the bike. You could just have it on a vibration node maximum. Look for a minimum. Try adding weight to change the resonant frequency or perhaps a weight decoupled through a rubber connection as per sky scraper damper.

Also consider clamping over a rubber core to the bars. I have used self amalgamating rubber tape wrapped to build multiple layers like a big grommet. Stretch the stuff as you wrap it and it form a solid rubber mass.
  • RoadRider
    RoadRider Registered Users Posts: 729
    Revered Pioneer
    The original RAM bals in the Riders box are also a rubber vibration dapener.

The Rider does 't have a camera. This is the part that fails on many phones when mounted on a motorbike.
  • TigerRider
    TigerRider Registered Users Posts: 168
    Exalted Navigator
    Guys,
    It occurs to add that vibration on a bike could be the factor the clever guys at TomTom forgot to include in the design spec and why so many owners are getting damp or misting inside their units.