new go6250 proffessional

Covkid62
Covkid62 Registered Users Posts: 583
Supreme Navigator
edited December 2021 in Devices using Wi-Fi®
I've had my new device about 3 months and I have to say it's terrible.
Traffic works when it wants to and more often than not i'll look at the screen and the icon with the x for traffic is showing and then randomly it will start working again.
Before anyone post up the video about traffic etc I've watched that and everything is set as it should be.
Also the device can be very very slow and laggy from when I wake it out of sleep and sometimes i am waiting an age just to get the screen to work.
Really just want to put a hammer through it at times so any help with this paper weight would be appreciated

Answers

• DougLap
    DougLap Posts: 9,426
    Superuser
    Hi @Covkid62

Have you got any other electronic devices near the TT unit. If so try moving them away from one another.

Doug
  • Covkid62
    Supreme Navigator
    no nothing at all Doug it's all by itself in the right of my windscreen.
    My go6200 never had traffic issues.
    When i check in the settings it says It's having trouble connection to Tomtom services then it will randomly re connect
  • Willy875
    Willy875 Registered Users Posts: 3,914
    Revered Voyager
    Try to reset the device to factory defaults.
  • Covkid62
    Supreme Navigator
    Willy875 wrote: »
    Try to reset the device to factory defaults.

already tried that and still the traffic is unreliable
  • Lost_Soul
    Lost_Soul Registered Users Posts: 330
    Supreme Pioneer
    @Covkid62
    Welcome to the TomTom Slow-Laggy-Unresponsive-Rebooting Club ;)

I bought a Go 6250 in Mid 2019 which was a real disappointment as firstly it would not acknowledge the existence of the Dartford Crossing but it also suffered the slow Menu response and issues as my other devices that you are also experiencing!

But I sold it quite swiftly as for example it would not recognise the Dartford Tunnel crossing coming from Kent back into Essex. I also had issues being sent on circuitous or crazy routes locally which appeared to be partially linked to heights and weight restrictions.

I found it improved for a short while after a factory reset, but soon reverted back to its slow almost unresponsive normality and am frustrated as you; as I almost threw the device out of the window several times.

I have tried to resolve matters by buying alternative Tomtom's, but they are also subject to various issues:
    • - Go Camper = slow response and being sent on crazy circular detours
    • - Go Discover – whilst a quicker response to menu choices, not that much faster than a Go Premium X overall plus for me it has a reduced Traffic Horizon that directs me into hour long traffic jams even as close as ~10 miles away as it just does not detect the traffic
    • - Go Premium X - Slow response and often sends me down very narrow one track roads hence why I moved onto the 6250 / Go Camper…………….based on Tomtom’s advice.

I have been in communication with Tomtom’s Customer Care Team for over 5 years with various issues, but they do not appear to be able to cure any of the above………..I think partly as the Go 6250, Go Camper are more a “niche” product with a smaller market penetration, TomTom do not pay much attention to faults……………

One user mentioned that Turning Off (Forgetting) Wi-Fi can improve matters and also in response to the constant rebooting since the mandatory software update at the end of September which reduced 3 of my regular devices to “pet bricks”, to turn off MyDrive synchronisation - but I require this latter feature (almost the Tomtom’s last redeeming feature!) to be on to create Favourites and receive stops and destinations created in MyDrive (web).

I have tried turning off both of the above but for me there was no benefit…………… :s

As a result of the above I have come to the conclusion the Go Premium X is the best compromise at present; provided I can get it out of its current “pet brick status” by yet another factory reset or putting it into Recovery mode, and accept the annoyance of being sent down narrow one track roads and the slow almost unresponsive reaction to menu presses………….. B)

With regard to your 6250 as you have already done a factory reset, you may consider putting it in Recovery Mode as a last resort before contacting the TomTom Customer Care Team for advice and or initiating a replacement under warranty.
  • Covkid62
    Supreme Navigator
    Lost_Soul wrote: »
    @Covkid62
    Welcome to the TomTom Slow-Laggy-Unresponsive-Rebooting Club ;)

I bought a Go 6250 in Mid 2019 which was a real disappointment as firstly it would not acknowledge the existence of the Dartford Crossing but it also suffered the slow Menu response and issues as my other devices that you are also experiencing!

But I sold it quite swiftly as for example it would not recognise the Dartford Tunnel crossing coming from Kent back into Essex. I also had issues being sent on circuitous or crazy routes locally which appeared to be partially linked to heights and weight restrictions.

I found it improved for a short while after a factory reset, but soon reverted back to its slow almost unresponsive normality and am frustrated as you; as I almost threw the device out of the window several times.

I have tried to resolve matters by buying alternative Tomtom's, but they are also subject to various issues:
    • - Go Camper = slow response and being sent on crazy circular detours
    • - Go Discover – whilst a quicker response to menu choices, not that much faster than a Go Premium X overall plus for me it has a reduced Traffic Horizon that directs me into hour long traffic jams even as close as ~10 miles away as it just does not detect the traffic
    • - Go Premium X - Slow response and often sends me down very narrow one track roads hence why I moved onto the 6250 / Go Camper…………….based on Tomtom’s advice.

I have been in communication with Tomtom’s Customer Care Team for over 5 years with various issues, but they do not appear to be able to cure any of the above………..I think partly as the Go 6250, Go Camper are more a “niche” product with a smaller market penetration, TomTom do not pay much attention to faults……………

One user mentioned that Turning Off (Forgetting) Wi-Fi can improve matters and also in response to the constant rebooting since the mandatory software update at the end of September which reduced 3 of my regular devices to “pet bricks”, to turn off MyDrive synchronisation - but I require this latter feature (almost the Tomtom’s last redeeming feature!) to be on to create Favourites and receive stops and destinations created in MyDrive (web).

I have tried turning off both of the above but for me there was no benefit…………… :s

As a result of the above I have come to the conclusion the Go Premium X is the best compromise at present; provided I can get it out of its current “pet brick status” by yet another factory reset or putting it into Recovery mode, and accept the annoyance of being sent down narrow one track roads and the slow almost unresponsive reaction to menu presses………….. B)

With regard to your 6250 as you have already done a factory reset, you may consider putting it in Recovery Mode as a last resort before contacting the TomTom Customer Care Team for advice and or initiating a replacement under warranty.

good evening and many thanks for your lengthy reply.

I've been a tomtom user for many years including before the devices were available as I used tomtom on a pda many years ago.
    It seems to me as the years have gone by that instead of getting better the devices are getting worse and as for updates these things have not had any new software features for about 3 years now.
    Still we can't change the car icon like we used to years ago and also the colour scheme is very basic.
    To me it seems like they have given up on these things so after this last disappointing purchase I won't be making another.
    These devices are not cheap by any standards but the way they work (or don't ) is shocking.
    I'm having to constantly reboot the thing to get it to speed up a bit.

• Lost_Soul
    Lost_Soul Registered Users Posts: 330
    Supreme Pioneer
    @Covkid62

I have only been a Tomtom user for just over 5 years (encouraged by my wife) and there has been very little improvements sighted in that time on my devices. I did buy an old Go Live 1005 just to see what features used to be included and can fully understand yours and other long term Tomtom users frustration. I would have kept the Go live 1005 if it had worked a bit more speedily and had a larger screen. B)

The only "improvements" I have seen in my 5 years are "partial corrections" to features that used to be present on older PND devices , i.e. POI management.

It is difficult to understand in what direction Tomtom is going but it does appear they are abandoning the PND market given the large number of users who are frustrated with their products.

It is a great pity, as if Tomtom could get the current range of PND's working as they claim in their advertising .............. I may then consider staying with Tomtom. ;)

Maybe they are concentrating on the Vehicle built in versions ?