world maps — TomTom Discussions

world maps

Discoverytdi
Discoverytdi Registered Users Posts: 9
Apprentice Traveler
edited December 2021 in Devices using Wi-Fi®
Hi, just got a tomtom go camper with world maps and there are 54 updates pending :o had a look, and they are all maps of countries I will never go to is there a way to suspend these. So I don't continually get them coming up Cheers Peter

Best Answer

• Discoverytdi
    Apprentice Traveler
    edited December 2021 Accepted Answer
    But should you have to faff about like above to get something to work, as it should? Message to tomtom when you're creating something, be it a device an OS, or a piece of software, abide by the KISS principle then test retest then test again
    anyway all sorted put my Spock logical head on. ;)

Answers

• Willy875
    Willy875 Registered Users Posts: 3,724
    Revered Voyager
    Hi Check only the cards you want to download the others you uncheck them.
  • Discoverytdi
    Apprentice Traveler
    I've done that, it's the remaining54 I don't want to be continually nagged with as I'm unlikely to go to the likes of Poland Russia Scandinavia (Denmark, Finland, Norway & Sweden). Furthest abroad, I travel/camp is in the UK, Scotland, Wales and the island of Ireland'
    Peter
  • DougLap
    DougLap Posts: 9,377
    Superuser
    Hi @Discoverytdi

The GO Camper is sold with the relevant Camper based map on the unit for the region in which it is sold. There are only 4 Camper based maps and they have the word Camper in their description. All other world maps that are also available to download via Add a Map are car based maps and if selected will not enable you to input vehicle dimensions etc.

The Europe Camper map , which can be used for cars as well, is a one off Map covering circa 48 countries and would appear as a single update and show it as being circa 9gb. To be offered 54 maps that suggests that the units had the individual Car based maps for the European countries plus loaded on it which is not necessary. Can you check what maps you have downloaded and do any of them include the word Camper.

Doug
  • Discoverytdi
    Apprentice Traveler
    Hi Doug I've only got Europe camper and the United Kingdom and Republic of Ireland car maps installed so where the other 54 have appeared who knows
  • DougLap
    Superuser
    Hi @Discoverytdi

Are you seeing the list of updates listed on the GO Camper or are you seeing the other maps when you open My Drive Connect. If the latter it should indicate against each map whether they are installed on the device.

Doug
  • Discoverytdi
    Apprentice Traveler
    Doug in my drive the 2 I mentioned are those in go camper
  • DougLap
    Superuser
    Hi @Discoverytdi

Are you seeing the list of 54 Country updates on the GO Camper? If you only have the 2 maps on here then you should only see 2 updates for those 2 maps listed. Whilst the Europe Camper Map covers 48 countries any update will be for the whole map. You cannot reduce the update to just those countries you are likely to use.

Doug
  • Discoverytdi
    Apprentice Traveler
    edited December 2021
    The 54 seperate updated maps are only on my drive, not the camper that's what I don't get how can you update something you haven't got installed in the first place.
    I'm beginning to regret coming back to tomtom and stuck with Garmin for all it's faults
  • Willy875
    Willy875 Registered Users Posts: 3,724
    Revered Voyager
    @Discoverytdi
    You did not have to download the UK and Republic of Ireland maps, the Europe Camper map includes the 2 countries on the map
  • YamFazMan
    YamFazMan Posts: 20,479
    Superuser
    edited December 2021
    Hi
    @Discoverytdi
    The same problem happened back in July, but only a few users were affected, they had the full Word Map offered as a download....
    See... https://discussions.tomtom.com/en/discussion/1136120/go-premium-65000-mb-download-everyday

Stay Safe... ATB YFM
  • Discoverytdi
    Apprentice Traveler
    edited December 2021
    @Willy875 the UK and Republic of Ireland maps were on the first download list 0n Tuesday when I received the camper, the 54 updates turned up a few hours late, and I have been trying to evict them ever since. @YamFazMan just read that but no solution mentioned as 1 how to stop it and 2 how to get rid of the little beggars.
    As an aside, I've just looked at my empty download folder, but it's greyed out
  • Discoverytdi
    Apprentice Traveler
    Right had a long conversation with tomtom customer support via chat here's a copy

Peter Green

3 Dec 2021, 11:32 CET

(10:53:53 AM) *** peter green joined the chat ***
    (10:53:53 AM) peter green: I have 54 pending map updates in my drive
    (10:54:17 AM) Sarah: Good Day! Thank you for contacting TomTom. This is Sarah. I would be happy to assist you today :)
    (10:54:31 AM) Sarah: I will check for you may I have your device serial number please?
    (10:56:34 AM) Sarah: Are you there ?
    (10:57:18 AM) peter green: yes, just booting my device
    (10:57:48 AM) Sarah: Okay , thank you
    (10:58:52 AM) peter green: ZA2431T00345
    (10:59:59 AM) Sarah: Thank you one moment here
    (11:02:05 AM) Sarah: You have a wifi device which does not need to be connected to my drive. Also it seems your device is up to date so on your device click on menu, settings, items and new updates and check if it is up to date
    (11:03:26 AM) peter green: yes, it's up-to-date
    (11:04:45 AM) Sarah: Perfect, be assured all your updates will be displayed on your device and from our end too we can confirm it is up to date.
    (11:05:55 AM) peter green: but why have I got a list of 54 map updates on my drive
    (11:07:11 AM) peter green: I mean my drive connect
    (11:08:39 AM) Sarah: Your device can not be connected to mydrive connect for updates so the updates are not for your device.

You can ignore the same, it might have shown the available maps for a device, however if there are any updates pending or available you will see on your device so please do not refer to mydrive connect, it is the application for non wifi device to start the update
    (11:10:08 AM) peter green: so I don't need my drive connect on my laptop then
    (11:11:18 AM) Sarah: No not for updates, if there is any software issue we can let you know if it needs to be installed but as mentioned your wifi device is directly updates it does not need PC or mydrive connect
    (11:17:07 AM) peter green: Ah, I see, so what is the method for I can no longer access the device's drive I've tried using MDC but it just hangs
    (11:17:37 AM) Sarah: Are you trying to access the route sync?
    (11:21:33 AM) peter green: No I have speed cameras that match the world maps I want to uninstall and none English voices, but I keep getting Our servers are very busy right now message
    (11:22:50 AM) Sarah: Where do you get this server busy message ?
    (11:25:25 AM) peter green: On MDC I've only got 2819 MB free on the device's drive
    (11:26:39 AM) Sarah: Please do not connect to MyDrive connect.

Please disconnect and on your device click on menu ,settings, voices you will have the available voice you can remove the one which you do not want to have.
    (11:30:51 AM) peter green: Right, It's just I've not had a tomtom for a few years, and it's totally different from the via model I had
    (11:31:30 AM) Sarah: I completely understand your concern, but now the device which you have has all the features updates and other on device itself :)
    (11:32:57 AM) *** peter green left the chat ***

oops, blond alert :3
  • DougLap
    Superuser
    Hi @Discoverytdi

When you open MDC with the GO Camper NOT connected to the PC you will see under the heading My Maps 56 Maps listed, The first 2 you will see have will have Active and Installed against them whereas all the other maps on the list are those that are available for you to download if and when you require them.

If you Open MDC on the PC and then connect the GO Camper you will see a page saying Update the easy way. At this point if you then go too the menu options on the GO Camper you can then go to Settings/Maps, Add a Map and select which map you want and download it. All the connection to the PC is doing is provide a connection to the Internet as the connection stops the unit connecting directly to your Wifi.

If when you open MDC on the PC when the GO Camper is NOT connected you can see the maps and select those you want to download to the unit. When you select each map you will be given the option to install it on the Internal or External memory. If you now connect the GO Camper the Easy Way screen appears but the GO Camper will download the maps you preselected without you using the units menu options .

In essence you don't need the PC as you can do all the updating and Map downloading etc by directly connecting the GO Camper to your Wifi. The only function that demands the use of a PC is if you ever have to run the Recovery process.

Doug
  • Discoverytdi
    Apprentice Traveler
    Exactly as explained by Sarah on chat but unless I've missed it there's no mention of not using MDC, now the only thing to figure out is how to get rid of all the foreign voices as MDC just hangs then server busy message as with the maps issue, and it can't be done via camper. Read this https://discussions.tomtom.com/en/discussion/1135928/deleting-voices but deleting them one by one seems idiotic why tomtom didn't build this facility into the device is beyond me unless again I've missed something.
    Tomtom certainly changed from when I had my tomtom via
  • YamFazMan
    Superuser
    edited December 2021
    Hi Again
    Further to my above post....
    If I'm having problems with MyDrive Connect... I find deleting the "HOME3" and the "MyDrive Connect" folders in the MyDrive Connect Program will usually bring MyDrive Connect back to life...
    Step-by-step instructions for removing the 'Home3' Folder and the 'MyDrive connect' folder....
    See... https://discussions.tomtom.com/en/discussion/1134289/connection-problems-mydrive-connect-delete-the-home3-mydrive-connect-folders

Here's a similar solution recently suggested by Tomtom support ....
    Step by step MyDrive Connect fix from Tomtom support....
    Okay.
    I will share certain steps with you for troubleshooting and request you to perform it as it is.
    1) Close MyDrive Connect completely.
    2) Make sure there are no TomTom related processes running in task manager.
    -The Task Manager can be found by pressing the keys Ctrl+Alt+Del and then selecting Task Manager
    3) Uninstall MyDrive Connect via the Control Panel
    4) Delete the TomTom folder from the Program files.
    -Go to Start and then My Computer/Computer/This PC
    -Delete the MyDrive Connect folder from C:\Program Files and C:\Program Files (x86)
    5) Check each username profile (marked as <username> here) and make sure the TomTom folders are deleted from the following locations:
    -C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local
    -C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming
    -C:\Users\<username>\AppData\\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files
    6) Press the Windows Key + R to open the run window.
    - Type in %temp% then press OK . Delete as many files from this location as possible. Some files can not be deleted. This is normal.
    7) Restart the computer.
    8) Create a new Administrator account in Windows.
    -Create a simple username, for instance TomTom, with no spaces or special characters (like â, é, ë etc.).
    9) Log out of the current account and log in with the new administrator account.
    10) Reinstall MyDrive Connect.
    - Go to https://help.tomtom.com/hc/articles/360013959499-Installing-MyDrive-Connect
    - Download MyDrive Connect.
    -Go to the download folder, right-click on the file MyDriveConnect.exe and press run as administrator.
    11) Check the status of the program in the firewall
    11) Then connect the device to the computer and follow the update and install it. The update should go through.
    Make sure to install the update one at a time.
    Stay safe... ATB YFM
  • Discoverytdi
    Apprentice Traveler
    edited December 2021 Accepted Answer
    But should you have to faff about like above to get something to work, as it should? Message to tomtom when you're creating something, be it a device an OS, or a piece of software, abide by the KISS principle then test retest then test again
    anyway all sorted put my Spock logical head on. ;)
  • YamFazMan
    Superuser
    edited December 2021
    Hi
    @Discoverytdi
    You're welcome, glad you're sorted :)
    As Spock once said "Once you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth"

Live long and prosper... ATB YFM
  • YamFazMan
    Superuser
    edited December 2021
    @Discoverytdi
    Hi Again...
    I've Just reinstalled MyDrive Connect... Guess what, It's now happened to me :/

kmntkjhpqozq.jpg
    Stay Safe... ATB YFM