Looking for a English computer voice for the TomTom — TomTom Discussions

Looking for a English computer voice for the TomTom

jmbiris
jmbiris Registered Users Posts: 4
Apprentice Seeker
edited November 2021 in MyDrive Connect
hello
i live in france but i am english speaking
i have just purchased a new tomtom as my last one(lifetime guarantee) will not update
on plugging in the choose language page appears. all the different english options are not covered, so no smartphone or english voice
Tagged:

Answers

• jmbiris
    Apprentice Seeker
    hello
    i live in france but i am english speaking
    i have just purchased a new tomtom as my last one(lifetime guarantee) will not update
    on plugging in the choose language page appears. all the different english options are not covered, so no smartphone or english voice
  • Willy875
    Willy875 Registered Users Posts: 3,758
    Revered Voyager
    Hi
    What GPS did you have if your old GPS is guaranteed for life you can continue to benefit from the lifetime warranty

can you specify the GPS you bought if the GPS you bought it in France you must ask customer service or a moderator who assigns you an English voice
    you can also download a voice from Mydrive connect.
  • jmbiris
    Apprentice Seeker
    hi
    my old gps is about ten years now, believe its tomtom go 5"
    i have just purchased apps go 520 wifi world maps ,speed cameras etc
    no english and no uk maps. i bought it on amazon france
  • Willy875
    Revered Voyager
    The Go 520 is sold with the Europe card preinstalled so the England card is included.
    for voice download Mydrive connect on your computer then connect your Go the voices are available for download.
  • Niall
    Niall Posts: 11,089
    Superuser
    @jmbiris

With regards to the voices Serena and/or Malcom look back on Monday when hopefully a moderator @VikramK or @lampard will have added to your account. I also live in France but find the English voices mangle town names, so I persevere with Thomas but do change it when I am in the UK :)

To add the UK map see page 116 of the manual http://download.tomtom.com/open/manuals/gox20x/refman/TomTom-GO-EU-RG-en-gb.pdf
    Select Settings in the Main Menu, then select Maps.
    Choose another map
    Select Choose another map to change the map that you are using.
    You can choose from maps stored either in internal memory, or on a memory card if your GO has a memory card slot.
    Important: Routes and tracks cannot be stored on the same memory card as maps because different memory card formatting is used.
    Note: Although you can store more than one map on your GO, you can only use one map at a time for planning and navigation.
    Adding a map
    Select Add a map to see a list of all the maps that are available for download. These maps are sorted by continent.
    Select the map title of map zone you want to install, then tap Download. You are then asked where to install the map zone. What you see next depends on whether you have a memory card inserted and where available space can be found. Available space may be found in the internal memory or on the memory card or both.
    After you have chosen a location for the installation of your map, downloading starts.
  • jmbiris
    Apprentice Seeker
    thank you niall
    i don't really listen to the strange prenounciations of place names, but i like to have directions and countdowns in english. our old one had this system of swopping maps which is ok, but i cannot understand why english is not on as a principle language.
    i will wait until tomorrow to see what happens before thinking of returning it to amazon
    malcolm
  • Willy875
    Revered Voyager
    You bought the GPS on Amazon France so the Thomas voice is installed
    You will have bought the GPS in England, the Malcolm voice is installed

Come back tomorrow moderator @VikramK will add Malcolm voice to your account
    As already said you can download it after connecting your GPS to Mydrive connect.
  • VikramK
    VikramK Registered Users, Administrators Posts: 13,088
    Hi @jmbiris

Welcome to the community!

Could you send me the serial number of your device through a private message, please?

Thanks, Vikram