No route possible at all

Unclefish
Unclefish Registered Users Posts: 14
Master Explorer
I just updated my western Europe map (to v10.8) and device (Via135) firmware. Now I can see two maps, the UK and the Vatican. I cannot however plan a route to anywhere. The device does not list Paris as a possible western Europe destination, but does list Porza but still no route is possible to Porza. The GPS works because all along my route in the UK, the device knows where it is. MyDriveConnect says I have the western Europe map and I have deleted the map and downloaded it again. But no improvement. I have two Via 135s and updated both at the same time, the second has the whole Europe map v10.8 and works fine.

Best Answers

• Unclefish
    Master Explorer
    Answer ✓
    Does anyone know what official channels exist in tomtom to claim compensation for two half bricked satnavs?
  • YamFazMan
    YamFazMan Posts: 20,806
    Superuser
    edited December 2021 Answer ✓
    Hi
    @Unclefish
    Unclefish wrote: »
    Hi All, I still have two via 135s with European maps that will only let me navigate in the UK, Switzerland or the Vatican. Anyone have any ideas?
    I have enough memory space for the map and I have reinstalled it several times, including MyDrive connect
    After seeing your earlier post today....
    I re-checked out my GO Live 825 which has the full Europe Map installed...
    To my surprise, when I tapped the flag icon (On the screen where you enter the City/Code)... Like you, it appeared that I only had the UK&ROI & Vatican Map installed...
    Then I realized the list of Countries are displayed alphabetically starting with the selected UK&ROI and the following Vatican Maps
    If you Tap the up-cursor, all of the countries of the full Europe Map are listed above the UK&ROI Map....
    It's the same for the Tomtom voices list they are displayed above and below the selected voice....

Stay Safe... ATB YFM

Answers

• YamFazMan
    Superuser
    Hi
    @Unclefish
    Welcome to the site...
    From the main menu
    Tap (Settings)
    Right Cursor twice for next page
    Tap (Switch Map) --> What Map/s are listed as installed
    Follow onscreen prompts to exit

Is the Via 135 a 4GB or 8GB device ???
    NAV3 Devices with 4GB On-board Memory... Catch22

Tomtom devices need at least one Map installed before they will Boot-up...
    The Maps on the NAV3 devices easily fitted onto the 4GB of on-board Memory, but the Map sizes increases with every update... Now the 4GB limit on-board memory size on the NAV3 devices is an unfortunate, but real Catch22 situation....
    The NAV3 Full Europe Map size is now 4.621 GB....

Note... If you already have the Map installed on a Micro SDHC memory card the NAV3 device will update the Map as normal....

When you update using MyDrive Connect, you should be offered a Map Zone.....
    If you mainly travel in the UK and do not need the Full Europe Map... The Europe Zone 1 has the UK&ROI Maps....

If you require the Full Europe Map you will need to install a 8GB or 16GB Class 10 Micro SDHC memory card (32GB is the max size, but it's way over the top for 4GB Maps)

Method... Install a Map Zone.... Zone 9 is the smallest Map Zone....
    I used Zone 1 as it also has the UK&ROI Map...

(1)... With MyDrive Connect running, click MY CONTENT menu...
    (2)... In MY MAPS... Click on the required Flag Icon (Europe)...

9wya7oj3tsrn.jpg
    1gmmg7ftpv93.jpg
    Note... You can ONLY use the above menu option....
    'Use a memory card in your device'
    If you have already installed a memory card formatted with the Tomtom propriety format....

b94ya0yjxd8i.jpg
    Follow the onscreen menu prompts to select and install the required MAP Zone....

With the Map Zone installed... The device will Boot-up and allow you to Format the Micro SDHC memory card to the Tomtom propriety format, this will allow the installation of Maps
    (3)... Format the Micro SDHC memory card to FAT32 on your PC
    (4)... Insert the Micro SDHC memory card into your NAV3 Device, the device should recognize the card and offer to format the card to the Tomtom propriety format....
    Accept the offer and format the memory card...

(5)... MyDrive Connect screen should now refresh and allow you to install the Full Europe Map onto the Memory Card....
    zan73scl2t8a.jpg
    You May need to switch to the Full Europe Map ???
    From the main menu
    Tap (Settings)
    Right Cursor twice for next page
    Tap (Switch Map)
    Tap (Select the Europe Map)
    Follow onscreen prompts to exit

I suggest you do not uninstall the smaller map as it will also act as a 'Keeper'
    This will enable the device to keep running on the smaller Map and avoid the Catch22 situation No Maps Found Error, where the device won't boot-up past the No Maps Found Error to allow access to the 'Format option' to allow the use of a Micro SDHC memory card
    Also, if you ever need to remove the Micro SDHC Card for any reason... Like transferring pre-planned routes via a Micro SDHC Card or Formatting a new/replacement Micro SDHC Card, the Keeper Map will allow the device to keep running....

Stay Safe... ATB YFM
  • Unclefish
    Master Explorer

mydrive connect just came up and says restoring your device not sure where that cam from but will leave it doing whatever it is and let you know the result. My via 135 has memory spare with the WE map in
  • Unclefish
    Master Explorer
    that has got the planning sorted but it can only plan routes in the UK, Switzerland and the Vatican - Progress Hurrah!
  • Unclefish
    Master Explorer
    Ok, so checking both Via 135s, I can navigate anywhere in the UK or the Vatican on one and the UK, the Vatican and Switzerland on the other. The first has the Europe map and the second has the Western Europe Map. When, in settings, trying to select a map the correct maps are shown, as they are in Mydrive Connect. When planning a route the only map options given are the ones I have just stated. Why the Vatican? The Switzerland option has appeared, I think, because initially, when searching for Paris, Porza was offered as an option and I attempted to plan a route to there, but no routes were possible. After the reset happened, routes were available, but only to those countries mentioned.
  • Unclefish
    Master Explorer
    Hi All, I still have two via 135s with European maps that will only let me navigate in the UK, Switzerland or the Vatican. Anyone have any ideas?

I have enough memory space for the map and I have reinstalled it several times including mydrive connect.

I
  • Unclefish
    Master Explorer
    Answer ✓
    Does anyone know what official channels exist in tomtom to claim compensation for two half bricked satnavs?
  • Unclefish
    Master Explorer
    OK the fourth reinstall of the maps has done it. Thanks for all the help. It appears that the missing thing was the up arrow on the maps choice page. Now I have that I can get to the other maps.
  • YamFazMan
    Superuser
    edited December 2021 Answer ✓
    Hi
    @Unclefish
    Unclefish wrote: »
    I have enough memory space for the map and I have reinstalled it several times, including MyDrive connect
    After seeing your earlier post today....
    I re-checked out my GO Live 825 which has the full Europe Map installed...
    To my surprise, when I tapped the flag icon (On the screen where you enter the City/Code)... Like you, it appeared that I only had the UK&ROI & Vatican Map installed...
    Then I realized the list of Countries are displayed alphabetically starting with the selected UK&ROI and the following Vatican Maps
    If you Tap the up-cursor, all of the countries of the full Europe Map are listed above the UK&ROI Map....
    It's the same for the Tomtom voices list they are displayed above and below the selected voice....

Stay Safe... ATB YFM
  • Unclefish
    Master Explorer
    Yamfazman thanks for your help on this. I tried to say that this had sorted the problem with the Yes button but the site has a problem at the mo. This is now sorted and thanks for the help you and others have given me. All the best and have a good Xmas.

Glyn..

XS650 :-)