Update just says ''Checking" and never continues

jimcor
jimcor Registered Users Posts: 10
Master Traveler
When I try to download an update (from the smallest to the biggest) using Mydrive Connect, I just get a bubble saying ''Checking". What is not working? I have waited hours for something to happen.

Answers

• YamFazMan
    YamFazMan Posts: 21,133
     Superuser
    edited November 2021
    Hi
    @jimcor
    You haven't stated which Tomtom device you own ???
    If I'm having problems with MyDrive Connect....
    I find deleting the "HOME3" and the "MyDrive Connect" folders in the MyDrive Connect Program will usually bring MyDrive Connect back to life...
    See... https://discussions.tomtom.com/en/discussion/1134289/connection-problems-mydrive-connect-delete-the-home3-mydrive-connect-folders

Stay safe... ATB YFM
  • DougLap
    DougLap Posts: 10,029
    Superuser
    Hi @jimcor

Are you referring to the Start 25 device you have indicated before. Have you got an extra memory card fitted and if so what size. Also how much free memory do you have on the unit.

Doug
  • jimcor
    Master Traveler
    Thanks Doug. My serial number starts with ''BP'' if that helps. When I login to Mydrive it is telling me that I have a "VIA 135 / VIA 1535 / VIA 280". I have no extra memory card fitted and it is showing not very much free memory left.
  • jimcor
    Master Traveler
    Hi YFM, I have a 'VIA 135 / VIA 1535 / VIA 280'.
  • jimcor
    Master Traveler
    No one has responded since I answered the follow-up questions.
  • DougLap
    Superuser
    Hi @jimcor

I suspect that the map is too big for the remaining memory once the software deletes the current version from the device. I suggest that you add a micro SD Class 10 memory card, Samsung , Sandisk or similar major make, and recommend a 16gb or max 32gb.

Doug
  • jimcor
    Master Traveler
    Thanks Doug but my TomTom has no memory card slot, how do I add memory? The model is around 5 years old.
  • YamFazMan
    YamFazMan Posts: 21,133
     Superuser
    edited December 2021
    Hi
    @jimcor

0djsw8qsxiy5.jpg
    Using your serial number prefix ''BP'' you should have 8GB of on-board memory ??? Plenty of pace for the Full Europe map....
    jimcor wrote: »
    (Snip) I just get a bubble saying ''Checking". What is not working? I have waited hours for something to happen.
    Is MyDrive connect showing the device as being connected ???
    Have you tried... deleting the "HOME3" and the "MyDrive Connect" folders in the MyDrive Connect Program....
    Here... https://discussions.tomtom.com/en/discussion/comment/1789131/#Comment_1789131

Edit...
    NAV3 Memory slot locations...
    a98j0t6r0nr3.jpg
    Stay Safe... ATB YFM
    jimcor wrote: »
    (Snip) I just get a bubble saying ''Checking". What is not working? I have waited hours for something to happen.

• jimcor
    Master Traveler
    Thanks ATB. When the update is downloaded, does the programme automatically delete the old version and replace it with the new version? If so, there should be enough space for the update but it still just says "Checking". Is this a normal response from To Tomrather than saying what the problem and fix might be?
  • DougLap
    Superuser
    Hi @jimcor

The software is designed that when an update is available it firstly checks how much space there will be then if there is sufficient deletes the old version and loads the new version. If the amount of free memory is low then the performance can be impaired as it needs some free memory for Operational Purposes. Once it has loaded the map on the extra memory, which it will only do if the internal memory is insufficient , then it will free up more internal memory so may help performance.

Doug
  • Willy875
    Willy875 Registered Users Posts: 6,499
    Revered Voyager
    edited December 2021
    Lorsque la mise à jour est téléchargée, le programme supprime-t-il automatiquement l'ancienne version et la remplace-t-il par la nouvelle version ?

Yes, the new version overwrites the old card.
  • Joel7335
    Joel7335 Registered Users Posts: 1
    New Seeker
    VIA 1535 Live, I've down loaded updates many times but now it never completes. It recognizes the computer and the computer recognizes the Tom Tom but gets stuck on "getting ready" the dots flash as normal but never updates.