replacement Tomtom remote not working

Fortalamo
Fortalamo Registered Users Posts: 4
New Seeker
I have obtained a replacement remote control handset for my Tomtom Carminet navigation system, after the original one was stolen. The replacement appears identical, but I can't get it to operate the system - with or without new batteries. What do I need to do?

Comments

• Willy875
    Willy875 Registered Users Posts: 7,773
    Elite Voyager
    Normally there is nothing to do after pressing any button to turn on the remote control automatically connects to your navigation system.
  • Fortalamo
    New Seeker
    That would be great if it worked for me. Others are saying that I have to get the unit "paired" to my system before it will recognise it, and I have to take it to a Renault dealer to do that. Is that the case with a replacement remote unit?
  • Willy875
    Willy875 Registered Users Posts: 7,773
    Elite Voyager
    edited November 2021
  • Fortalamo
    New Seeker
    @Willy875 - thanks for your link but I'm not getting anywhere. The PDF leaflet refers to the "Tomtom GO" and the Bluetooth Preferences in the Preference menu, but I can't see how to access that menu without the remote being connected.
    Elsewhere I've seen references to the options being either a Wi-fi or a Bluetooth connection. I use the Bluetooth to connect my phone to the sound system, but I'm not sure what the connection is between the SatNav and the remote.
  • Troubadix12
    Troubadix12 Registered Users Posts: 2,034
    Revered Voyager
    Hello @Fortalamo,

if you buy the right RemoteControl (Bluetooth), it should connect if you insert the batteries and press a button on it. But beware, there are two remotes which look alike, one Bluetooth, the other wireless. Only the Bluetooth work with the Carminat.

Regards

Troubadix12
  • Emi20
    Emi20 Registered Users Posts: 4
    Master Traveler
    Fortalamo wrote: »
    @Willy875 - thanks for your link but I'm not getting anywhere. The PDF leaflet refers to the "Tomtom GO" and the Bluetooth Preferences in the Preference menu, but I can't see how to access that menu without the remote being connected.
    Elsewhere I've seen references to the options being either a Wi-fi or a Bluetooth connection. I use the Bluetooth to connect my phone to the sound system, but I'm not sure what the connection is between the SatNav and the remote.

Hi Fortalamo! I had same problem. Here is the solution:
    1- If radio and/or car is on, turn off the radio and turn off the car.
    2- Turn on the car, then turn on the radio. Welcome menu it will show on the carminat screen.
    3- At the same time, click and mantain pressing the button showed with a symbol " _I ", the button is in the remote control at the right if you are looking it from the front. The blue light on the remote control will flash, with a blinking movement.
    4- Keep the button pressed until the blue light on the remote control stop blinking and stays on all the time. It could take seconds, less than a minute, don't despair!

Voila! Your remote control will be paired with carminat.

Unfortunately, this tip is not described by neither tomtom support or car dealer (in my case, it will be renault, carminat mounted on Megane 3 2012), and getting the info is complicated on the web. I had lucky on youtube, that's all.

Hope you could get the remote on with this tip! Let us know.
    Best regards and good luck!