Why do TomTom advertise a family pack and then make it impossible to access via androids? WHY?

Willem Toet
Willem Toet Registered Users Posts: 7
Apprentice Seeker
I'm a long term TomTom user but dislike this so much that I'm now investigating other sat nav packages. All I want to do is to have a family pack for two (my wife and I) on our android phones. I don't think one should have to go through hoops to do this and for that reason I'll go through hoops to find a different package.

Willem Toet - it is not a common name - find me on linkedin, I'm real and I'm p'd off.

Best Answers

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Supreme Pioneer
    Answer ✓
    Hello Willem,

There would be no way to do family as Google doesn't allow, best to purchase through this link.

https://www.tomtom.com/pocketlint-tt

If you are not in the UK, it will prompt you to switch regions.

That's the best I can hep you with is to either purchase through website under your account or purchase on each google account.
  • [Deleted User]
    Supreme Pioneer
    Answer ✓
    @MUP Hello there,

After you finished your trial, please make sure you use the subscription or pay monthly through website.

Have a great day!

Shawn

Answers

• lampard
    lampard Administrators Posts: 5,944
    edited November 2021
    Hi @Willem Toet

Have you purchased the GO Navigation app subscription? If you have an active subscription, just log in with the same Google account on your wife's phone to share the same subscription.

Best, lampard
  • Willem Toet
    Apprentice Seeker
    Hi @lampard - I can't accept this. I don't think it is logical to first buy one subscription when I want to buy another. I can't find a way to buy the nav app family pack on my phone or on the computer. It is more admin for TomTom your way and makes me suspicious of not getting what I need.

And by the way. My wife has her own identity. Microsoft (365) allows us to share one subscription with our own identities. I can understand that fear of subscriptions being shared willy nilly may drive this "one google account" thing, but this way you force people to falsely use another's account to share a family licence. This is not morally correct.

Can't accept this, sorry.
    Willem
  • lampard
    lampard Administrators Posts: 5,944
    edited November 2021
    Hello,

We don't have any family subscription plan on Android since Google doesn't support sharing of subscriptions even if you add them within the Family Library. You can't share in-app purchases and free apps with your family members.
    xvg67p89du75.png
    So, unfortunately, the only way for you to use the same subscription is mentioned in my earlier response.

Best, lampard
  • [Deleted User]
    Supreme Pioneer
    edited November 2021
    @Willem Toet

Hello Willem,

I hope you are having a great day, Google doesn't really allow apps to share subscriptions for free to family members in their terms.

https://support.google.com/googleplay/answer/7007852?hl=en

"You can't share in-app purchases and apps downloaded at no charge with your family members"

It is either you purchase it on the TomTom Website with this link, change the en_ca to your country local.

https://www.tomtom.com/en_ca/store/basket-overview.html?utm_campaign=UK_POCKETLINT-TT&utm_medium=referral&utm_source=POCKETLINT-TT

I believe you just purchase this with your TomTom Account and just sign in with that account in the app.

Also, this has been mentioned in another forum:

https://discussions.tomtom.com/en/discussion/1129524/family-sharing

• Willem Toet
    Apprentice Seeker
    Hi @lampard
    I see that this (quire correct policy from Google) is a challenge for TomTom, but I don't accept the "solution". There is still no way that I can find to buy the family subscription directly either from my phone or from the TomTom web when logged in as me or when not logged in. An alternative TomTom could offer is that family members with an android buy their own licence at a discount, purchased for them by the primary account holder.

And thanks @Shawnloveshorses_161 for your suggestion, but that didn't work for me. It comes up with a screen like the one below and navigating from there takes me to support, not to a way of buying anything. j7t8b0z4en2u.jpg

with kindest regards
    Willem
  • [Deleted User]
    Supreme Pioneer
    Answer ✓
    Hello Willem,

There would be no way to do family as Google doesn't allow, best to purchase through this link.

https://www.tomtom.com/pocketlint-tt

If you are not in the UK, it will prompt you to switch regions.

That's the best I can hep you with is to either purchase through website under your account or purchase on each google account.
  • MUP
    MUP Registered Users Posts: 553
    Revered Pioneer
    Many Thanks.
    The code also worked well for TT Germany.
  • [Deleted User]
    Supreme Pioneer
    Answer ✓
    @MUP Hello there,

After you finished your trial, please make sure you use the subscription or pay monthly through website.

Have a great day!

Shawn
  • Willem Toet
    Apprentice Seeker
    Hi Shawnloveshorses_161 - will do, you've convinced me. Thanks! Willem
  • [Deleted User]
    Supreme Pioneer
    edited November 2021
    @Willem Toet I would like to point out about Amigo which is the free version of TomTom though it is very basic and still in beta. Dose not work offline.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.tomtom.speedcams.android.map&hl=en_US&gl=US

Also you could always use Apple Maps which does use TomTom data but if you really want good offline maps with good guidance. Then use the tomtom :)
  • MUP
    MUP Registered Users Posts: 553
    Revered Pioneer
    @MUP ... make sure you use the subscription or pay monthly through website.
    The code acts in a cumulative way to an existing contract.
    Many codes were distributed by TT in October in different countries.
    Not only the one "GONAV21".
    Thanks to the internet with no border limitations, so all codes were usable.
    There is also no abo result behind all of these codes.

The App installed earlier from the hidden TT-store is still named "migrated from ... ".
    May be this makes a main difference compared to the app from Google's App-Store.