Replacement for GO 5100

UltegraDi2
UltegraDi2 Registered Users Posts: 36
Master Explorer
I've been researching a suitable replacement for our 5100, but can't find any current model that comes anywhere near it's features.
TomTom no longer offer a model with a built in sim card. I don't want to drive across Europe with my android notching up data roaming charges, but do want to see live traffic updates. Am I correct, that there is no longer a TomTom that has a built in sim card?
With the 5100 we also have regular updates to traffic cameras and mapping, but it looks like the current models require a regular subscription to be updated.
This seems like such a retrograde marketing strategy to me, I keep thinking I must be mistaken, but when I check the spec again it confirms a bluetooth connection to a phone is required and a regular speed camera update will be required.

Answers

• DougLap
    DougLap Posts: 9,830
    Superuser
    Hi @UltegraDi2

You could consider the GO5200 or Premium models which are more recent than your GO5100 and have the inbuilt mobiles sim. Note however that the sim works off the 2g system and so is at risk of being obsolete at some time, as it is already in Switzerland.

Doug
  • UltegraDi2
    UltegraDi2 Registered Users Posts: 36
    Master Explorer
    Thanks Doug, looks like the 5200 is no longer available, and I can't find anything in the current range that has an inbuilt sim. Garmin still do a rather clumsy arrangement with a special lead with a receiver attached, but I had one of those years ago and it's just more faffing about with cables, plugs and so on.
    Being able to navigate with GPS is very useful, but at the end of the day I can find my way around without one, but what I really want is reliable up to date traffic info, which I never got with my first TomTom which needed the smartphone connection.
  • DougLap
    DougLap Posts: 9,830
    Superuser
    Hi @UltegraDi2

Amazon?

Doug
  • PaulDS
    PaulDS Registered Users Posts: 1
    New Seeker
    I have just received an e-mail from TomTom that the G2 network is phased out in NL. It gives instructions to pair my GO5200 with my phone (blue tooth). However, although GO5200 claims to be connected, my phone insists that connection is not possible!? And indeed, uploading a route to GO5200 fails. How a near perfect appliance deteriorates quickly. Would TomTom not have known this at introduction of the GO5200? A SIM for 3G, or even better 4G, would have prevented these troubles.