TomTom Go Refuses to Navigate to the Selected Route

SayYourNameHere
SayYourNameHere Registered Users Posts: 35
Master Explorer
Sometime in the past few updates parts of the routing engine seem to have been fundamentally broken. In Settings, Route Planning I have selected When a faster route is available "Don't ask me", Avoid motorways, and avoid Unpaved roads. After having configured the settings as referenced I will search for a location and then select Current Route, Find Alternative. If I do not like the default route and select one of the alternative routes the routing engine will fail to keep me on the alternative route. Based on the configured settings it should route me to the selected route under all circumstances unless there is a major deviation. In each case it seems to reselect the default route which I did not select and route me via that route instead. This creates situations where TomTom routes me through the middle of busy cities when I specifically selected an alternative route that went around those cities. I have used the TomTom app for many years under many different incarnations and have not experienced this problem in the past. This is my most common use case and one of the main reasons I have stuck with TomTom all these years.

Comments

• YamFazMan
    YamFazMan Posts: 20,827
     Superuser
    Hi
    @SayYourNameHere
    I think the choice of 'Don't ask me' in the setting menu is you're causing your problems...
    The device is finding a faster route... and auto recalculating the route....
    I always use 'As me, so I can choose' the device asks 'There's a faster route available do you want to take it ??? Yes or No

Stay safe... ATB YFM
  • SayYourNameHere
    Master Explorer
    I do not believe that to be accurate. The behavior you describe is "supposed" to be the behavior of "Always take the fastest route". The "Don't ask me" option is supposed to be a NOOP (i.e. if it sees a faster route it does nothing with it and continues to route you on the selected route). This has been the behaviour of the TomTom Go application since the very inception of the app.
  • YamFazMan
    YamFazMan Posts: 20,827
     Superuser
    edited November 2021
    Hi
    @SayYourNameHere
    (Snip) The "Don't ask me" option is supposed to be a NOOP (i.e. if it sees a faster route it does nothing with it and continues to route you on the selected route) (Snip)
    After further thought, I agree with you….
    See a previous post of mine.... https://discussions.tomtom.com/en/discussion/comment/1638950/#Comment_1638950

Stay Safe... ATB YFM
  • SayYourNameHere
    Master Explorer
    Of course none of the manuals I have found actually describe those options which is not exactly helpful :). I am guessing a developer inverted the logic due to a misinterpretation. Worst case I put it on Ask me and ignore the Ask and see how that goes :).