Removal of Tomtom services via its integrated SIM card,

Willy875
Willy875 Registered Users Posts: 5,330
Revered Voyager
edited November 2021 in TomTom Services
Hi

On the France forum several people received this email from Tomtom

here is a copy of the email received

For several years now, you have been using a TomTom GO 5100 on the move. It is getting harder and harder for us to support all of the services included on older TomTom sat navs like yours. This is why we will end support for your GPS built-in SIM card in 14 days. Your GPS will continue to work but you will no longer receive TomTom services through its built-in SIM card, including traffic and traffic information. Speed Camera updates.

Bug or not bug who can say more?

Answers

• pragtich
    pragtich Registered Users Posts: 4
    Master Traveler
    Hello,

I have just received a very friendly e-mail from TomTom, notifying me of the greatest news -- I should switch from the old-fashioned 2G network to the modern 4G-network for better speed, reliability and responsiveness. Sounds great!

But it isn't. What you're actually saying is, that you are taking away the lifetime data which was promised with this device.

Now I have to admit that the data connection has been unreliable and slow, that is true. It never really lived up to the promised performance, as was the case to most of my experience with the GO 6200. It was over-hyped and it under-performs. The first years were a painful cycle of broken software and even now the navigation performance in rural areas is very unsatisfactory. Not to mention the unreliable syncing with MyDrive, random crashes and delays and excruciatingly long startup times. It's a shame really, because I really like the hardware.

How can we as customers trust such a company?
    Suffice to say, I'm done with TomTom -- perhaps phone based apps are the way to go.

Thanks, it was interesting.

pragtich
  • widewings
    widewings Registered Users Posts: 1
    New Traveler
    I bough my Tom Tom go 6100 because you sai “Lifetime info traffic and autovelox”, now by mail you write about no further support …. Tomtom I’ll never buy some products of us, I feel fooled!!!
  • herrmonsieur
    herrmonsieur Registered Users Posts: 6
    Master Explorer
    Hello,
    Sadly I confirm the comment regarding End of 'Lifetime' connectivity
    Tomtom wrote today they will end the lifetime connectivity of my GO6000.
    I'm using it for the live traffic information to go to work, it will become useless within 14 days. Now they want us to pollute the planet by throwing away fully functional devices.

How can we as customers or citizens trust such a company?

Suffice to say, I'm done with TomTom -- perhaps phone based apps are the way to go,
    certainly NOT Tomtom anymore as confidence is broken.
    Below is the email in french received from TomTom <[email protected]>.
    thanks for sharing
    herrmonsieur

Depuis plusieurs années, vous utilisez un TomTom GO 6000 lors de vos déplacements. Il devient de plus en plus difficile pour nous de prendre en charge tous les services inclus sur les anciens GPS TomTom comme le vôtre. C'est pourquoi nous allons mettre fin à la prise en charge de la carte SIM intégrée de votre GPS dans 14 jours. Votre GPS continuera de fonctionner mais vous ne recevrez plus les services TomTom via sa carte SIM intégrée, notamment les infos trafic et les mises à jour du service Radars.

• YamFazMan
    YamFazMan Posts: 20,787
    Superuser
    edited November 2021
    Hi
    @pragtich & @herrmonsieur
    Have you > NOT < used Live Traffic on the device for a while ??? All of my Live device have Lifetime Traffic... Is your Live Traffic on subscription ???
    GPRS SIM Deactivation....
    Be aware that a Live Device... The SIM card is automatically deactivated if the Live Traffic on the device has NOT been used for 18 months....
    Tomtom sends emails to the affected users and give 28 days notice before deactivating the SIM card... in the above circumstance the deactivated SIM cannot be reactivated....

Stay Safe... ATB YFM
  • herrmonsieur
    herrmonsieur Registered Users Posts: 6
    Master Explorer
    Hello @YamFazMan
    I use my GO 6000 at least 5 days per week every month of the year, every year.
    For me it can not be automatically deactivated.
    The email from Tomtom is clear : they will deactivate because is is difficult for they to maintain services for old device like mine.
    What is the definition of 'lifetime' ?

ride safely too
  • YamFazMan
    YamFazMan Posts: 20,787
    Superuser
    Hi
    @herrmonsieur
    @VikramK or @lampard the Forum Moderators should pick this up and check/correct your Tomtom Account status.....

Stay Safe... ATB YFM
  • pragtich
    pragtich Registered Users Posts: 4
    Master Traveler
    @YamFazMan , That's not it, no...
    But thanks for commenting, you're always helpful.

I can imagine that this is happening because some providers are shutting down 2G support, but then they should say so, and not try to spin some sweet story. It does not appear very honest...

• Centurion1978
    Centurion1978 Registered Users Posts: 3
    New Seeker
    Hello to everybody!
    I'm Andrew from Italy, I had a TomTom Go 6100 and last Christmas I gave it to my mother-in-law. A god friend of me wrote me this morning and told me about that problem, he has the TomTom Go 5100. For my mother-in-law will be a serious problem, she lives between Italy and Austria and she has daughters in Switzerland. The device saved her a lot of time last winter with the traffic update due to a lot of problems on the German highways due to a snow storm. Due to that problem, I found a solution with my friend. We saw that is possible to remove in a easy way the sim (I found the instructions in that discussion < https://discussions.tomtom.com/en/discussion/1136904/tomtom-go-6100-no-gprs-connection >). He removed carefully the sticker with a little knife and after that he was able to remove the sim. He discovered that the sim was from our local provider Vodafone. He will try to put another sim card to check if everything will work. If you want, I can keep you updated. At the moment I can’t do the same thing on the 6100, I live too far from my mother-in-law. We are evaluating for her a service for M2M with the operator Things Mobile. I know that It’s not free but could be a good compromise for her, especially if you travel in different countries and one of them is outside EU. My friend has a Vodafone data sim card for free due to his home provider and he doesn’t need to travel in Switzerland, for him the cost is zero.
    I hope that I was helpful for someone of you! Bye!
  • Centurion1978
    Centurion1978 Registered Users Posts: 3
    New Seeker
    Hello to everybody!
    I'm Andrew from Italy, I had a TomTom Go 6100 and last Christmas I gave it to my mother-in-law. A god friend of me wrote me this morning and told me about that problem, he has the TomTom Go 5100. For my mother-in-law will be a serious problem, she lives between Italy and Austria and she has daughters in Switzerland. The device saved her a lot of time last winter with the traffic update due to a lot of problems on the German highways due to a snow storm. Due to that problem, I found a solution with my friend. We saw that is possible to remove in a easy way the sim (I found the instructions in that discussion < https://discussions.tomtom.com/en/discussion/1136904/tomtom-go-6100-no-gprs-connection >). He removed carefully the sticker with a little knife and after that he was able to remove the sim. He discovered that the sim was from our local provider Vodafone. He will try to put another sim card to check if everything will work. If you want, I can keep you updated. At the moment I can’t do the same thing on the 6100, I live too far from my mother-in-law. We are evaluating for her a service for M2M with the operator Things Mobile. I know that It’s not free but could be a good compromise for her, especially if you travel in different countries and one of them is outside EU. My friend has a Vodafone data sim card for free due to his home provider and he doesn’t need to travel in Switzerland, for him the cost is zero.
    I hope that I was helpful for someone of you! Bye!

Unfortunately, the operation was not a success. We discovered that all the sims are Vodafone NL, my friend used a sim Vodafone IT. I think that the problem may be the APN, we need to change it but we are not able to retrieve the information on internet. Anybody knows how to change that setting?
  • Benze
    Benze Registered Users Posts: 0
    New Seeker
    edited November 2021
    The sim card on the tom-tom go 5000 has been de-activated, I would like to have it activated again
  • DJSheridan
    DJSheridan Registered Users Posts: 128
    Sovereign Trailblazer
    Well this is all strange as I have a Premium X with life time services and mine has stopped working a few days ago...
    I do not even have the Tom Tom Services Icon on my device anymore to re-enter my password - I only have the My Drive icon but it just tells me i have no internet.

There is only so many time I can reset my device - this is getting out of hand now.

Tom Tom ought to be ashamed of the problems and issues they are creating. It isn't progress but insults to all who buy their devices.