International purchase

Hello,
I live in Greece and I wish to buy a new Go Discover or Go Essential (I know Essential is discontinued) from Germany. If I do that, will I be able to install Greek menu language, Greek maps with Greek street names, Greek voices etc?
Thank you

Best Answers

• DougLap
    DougLap Posts: 9,860
    Superuser
    Answer ✓
    Hi @Jimmy956

The Go Discover unit comes with World Maps so you can download virtually any of the maps that Tomtom publiish so just Greece if you wanted as well as the whole of Europe which is what the unit will come with if bought within Europe. The major difference with the Discover is that you can add or delete maps as you require them and in the case of Europe air the USA you can download individual Countries or States . One thing you cannot do on the GO Discover is add your own 3rd Patty POI files which you can on the GO Essential.

When you set the units up then you can input Greek as that is a supported language.

Doug
  • DougLap
    Superuser
    Answer ✓
    Hi @Jimmy956

On my GO Camper, which works like your GO520 if I change the language to Greek where I live in the UK it does not change to Greek on the maps I have except for Greece. but does change the menu options etc to Greek.

I have tried the same on a GO Discover and whilst Language and Menu Options change likewise interestingly with English as the selected language some Place names in the UK also change to Greek versions but not in all cases. So for instance London changes but not the street names as they, as I would expect, stay as they are on the signs. Dartford does not change to a Greek version. With the language changed to Greek In the case of Greece everything is in Greek so Athens is AOHNA and the street names are in Greek whereas they are displayed in English when English is the selected language. . You are offered a Greek Keyboard for Search however this will be an issue when trying to find non Greek names..

Doug

Answers

• Willy875
    Willy875 Registered Users Posts: 5,440
    Revered Voyager
    Hi
    Go Discover has the world maps so you can install the map of your region for the language if not available you can ask Tomtom to add a voice to your account.
  • DougLap
    Superuser
    Answer ✓
    Hi @Jimmy956

The Go Discover unit comes with World Maps so you can download virtually any of the maps that Tomtom publiish so just Greece if you wanted as well as the whole of Europe which is what the unit will come with if bought within Europe. The major difference with the Discover is that you can add or delete maps as you require them and in the case of Europe air the USA you can download individual Countries or States . One thing you cannot do on the GO Discover is add your own 3rd Patty POI files which you can on the GO Essential.

When you set the units up then you can input Greek as that is a supported language.

Doug
  • Jimmy956
    Jimmy956 Registered Users Posts: 5
    New Seeker
    Thanks for your answer. I already have a GO520 and I know that Greek voices, Greek voice control, Greek maps, Greek street names, Greek menus etc already exist. However, I would like to know if these features are available to a Discover or Essential device if bought from Germany.
  • Willy875
    Willy875 Registered Users Posts: 5,440
    Revered Voyager
    edited November 2021
    It is possible to buy the Go Discover in Germany the Go Essential
  • Jimmy956
    New Seeker
    Thanks DougLap, seems we were typing concurrently!
  • Jimmy956
    New Seeker
    Found it on Amazon.de Willy875, as "TomTom navigation device GO Essential (5 inches, traffic jam avoidance thanks to TomTom Traffic, map updates Europe, hands-free calling, updates via Wi-Fi, TMC)", Sale and shipping by Amazon.
    Do you think there is something wrong with this item ?
  • DougLap
    Superuser
    Answer ✓
    Hi @Jimmy956

On my GO Camper, which works like your GO520 if I change the language to Greek where I live in the UK it does not change to Greek on the maps I have except for Greece. but does change the menu options etc to Greek.

I have tried the same on a GO Discover and whilst Language and Menu Options change likewise interestingly with English as the selected language some Place names in the UK also change to Greek versions but not in all cases. So for instance London changes but not the street names as they, as I would expect, stay as they are on the signs. Dartford does not change to a Greek version. With the language changed to Greek In the case of Greece everything is in Greek so Athens is AOHNA and the street names are in Greek whereas they are displayed in English when English is the selected language. . You are offered a Greek Keyboard for Search however this will be an issue when trying to find non Greek names..

Doug
  • Jimmy956
    New Seeker
    Thanks again Doug, you've been most helpful! I wasn't expecting a Greek translation of the world maps of course, I should have made my question more clear I guess. Your discovery with the UK map does look really interesting, though!
    You are right, one should be expected to type or see street and place names in the language that is used on the traffic signs, as this is more usable, whilst being able to control the device using his native language as I would like.