Can I get my Traffic data over a Wifi hotspot

TruckerMarc
TruckerMarc Registered Users Posts: 4
Apprentice Seeker
edited December 2021 in Devices using Wi-Fi®
Could someone please clarify whether a Wifi enabled TomTom unit that is connected to my phone hotspot will receive traffic updates. The built-in Sim doesn't work anymore in CH and A and I really need to know if purchasing a Wifi model will solve this.
Thanks in advance for any help. I see contradictory comments about this issue and would really like a real user to confirm.

Best Answer

• DougLap
    DougLap Posts: 9,831
    Superuser
    Answer ✓
    Hi @TruckerMarc

I have just tried the following on my GO Discover unit whilst sat at home.

I have turned Bluetooth Off in Settings on my iPhone 12 mini. I have turned On the iPhones Personal Hotspot in the iPhones settings then connected the device to my iPhones Hotspot by inputting the PH password in Wifi on the TT unit. Having done this the TT unit is shown in its Wifi Settings as connected to the Hotspot

I have then set a route of 106 miles and over a period of 15/30 minutes the Traffic Delays have changed, including in the Route Bar, and the figures shown are similar to those shown on my GO5200. After about 30 minutes I was then offered a 4 minute quicker route option as the alternative which was very busy had cleared so going that way would make a difference. The same alternative was offered on the GO5200 within 2 minutes.

I would say however that I do not have any issues when connecting the GO Discover unit to my iPhone 12 Mini by Bluetooth. With the GO Discover unit I turn on Bluetooth and Personal Hotspot On in the iPhones settings. I then open Bluetooth on the TT GD and Tap Add a Phone and then Tap pair on both units. At no point am I asked for the Personal Hotspots Password and the Personal Hotspot is not shown in the TT GO units Wifi Settings. You will find however that if you turn the Personal Hotspot Off on the iPhone you will lose the Bluetooth Connection to the TT GO Unit so you must ensure that both settings are on when Bluetooth connecting.

Doug

Answers

• DougLap
    Superuser
    Hi @TruckerMarc

What is the current model you are using just in case it can be set up to switch to your phone when the service is not available via an inbuilt sim.

Regarding the Wifi models there are various options. For example if you have a GO6250 which has an inbuilt 2g sim you can set the unit so that if you connect the unit to your Phone via Bluetooth the device should switch to using the BT connection and therefore your data when the inbuilt sim is not working. The latest Go Expert currently available is reliant on a connection to your phone via Bluetooth and therefore your data for all data including Traffic wherever you are as there is no inbuilt sim. TT did advise they were intending to release a 7” version of the GO Expert with a 4g inbuilt sim which would overcome the situation whereby the old 2g inbuilt sim units no longer work in places like CH. Unfortunately I think due to the worldwide chip shortage this 4g model has been delayed and there is no current indication when it might be available.

The inbuilt sims are not working in Switzerland because the 2g mobile system has been turned off. I was not aware this has happened in Austria so does it work elsewhere in Europe for you.

Doug
  • TruckerMarc
    Apprentice Seeker
    Hi Doug, thanks for the repsonse.

My current model does not have BT nor Wifi so my question was re: buying a newer model. I always have the hotspot on my phone on while driving through Europe, so I would prefer to use that instead of a BT connection, which I find a hassle to setup and maintain.

So my question is whether the newer models that do have Wifi (which is used to update maps) are able to use an active Wifi connection to obtain traffic updates as well. I can't get a clear answer about this and would only consider buying a newer TomTom when I'm certain this works. Of course a 4G enabled one would be even better.

PS. I'm also not sure about discontinued service in A but read that somewhere. I still think TomTom should provide an alternative for CH; there are several devices in my truck that use GPRS for data and they are all still working. It seems the provider for TomTom in CH is hard-coded in de SIM so maybe a new SIM would solve this, if provded by TomTom. Especially in CH traffic info it important because of delays at the tunnels and borders which severely impact travel duration.

Could anyone with a Wifi-enabled TomTom without a built-in SIM try to acquire traffic data while BT is disabled? Thanks in advance guys.
  • Lost_Soul
    Lost_Soul Registered Users Posts: 410
    Supreme Pioneer
    Hi @TruckerMarc

“Could anyone with a Wifi-enabled TomTom without a built-in SIM try to acquire traffic data while BT is disabled? Thanks in advance guys. “

Coincidentally, whilst in contact with the TomTom Customer Care Team they asked me to do exactly this and I can confirm that on both My Go Discover and Go Expert that traffic is detected* using just Wi-Fi with Bluetooth Disabled.

*I have been in dialogue with TomTom for some months regarding various issues with my Go Discover including the traffic Horizon range where it detects any traffic delays is significantly less than for example my Go Premium X – in some instances I am only seeing a 15-20 mile range of Traffic Delays being detected whereas most users report that there should be a rolling 50 mile Traffic Horizon radius.

There are other issues I have found with the Go Discover which may be important to you such as:

No inbuilt SIM (requires Personal Hotspot from phone)
    No Hands Free ability for calls
    No alerts of Text messages
    No transfer of or POI support
    A USB connection is not supported for Map updates – only Wi-Fi
    Simplified dumbed down menus – Options removed - No colour Themes for example
    Only one year subscription to Speed Cameras and Car Parking & Fuel prices
    Some live services (Car Parking information) not working as claimed.
    Sporadic map updates, we are supposed to get weekly updates which I have never seen and other users report the maps are not up to date.
    Historic TomTom issues continue
    – Voice control inoperative!
    - Traffic delays not accounted for in trip etc. etc.
    Large Next Instruction banner permanently on top left of screen (possible positive?)
    Yes, a faster processor means a quicker reaction between Menus – but from a cold start to commencing driving a route is about the same or only 0.5 sec less than the Go Premium X.
  • DougLap
    Superuser
    Answer ✓
    Hi @TruckerMarc

I have just tried the following on my GO Discover unit whilst sat at home.

I have turned Bluetooth Off in Settings on my iPhone 12 mini. I have turned On the iPhones Personal Hotspot in the iPhones settings then connected the device to my iPhones Hotspot by inputting the PH password in Wifi on the TT unit. Having done this the TT unit is shown in its Wifi Settings as connected to the Hotspot

I have then set a route of 106 miles and over a period of 15/30 minutes the Traffic Delays have changed, including in the Route Bar, and the figures shown are similar to those shown on my GO5200. After about 30 minutes I was then offered a 4 minute quicker route option as the alternative which was very busy had cleared so going that way would make a difference. The same alternative was offered on the GO5200 within 2 minutes.

I would say however that I do not have any issues when connecting the GO Discover unit to my iPhone 12 Mini by Bluetooth. With the GO Discover unit I turn on Bluetooth and Personal Hotspot On in the iPhones settings. I then open Bluetooth on the TT GD and Tap Add a Phone and then Tap pair on both units. At no point am I asked for the Personal Hotspots Password and the Personal Hotspot is not shown in the TT GO units Wifi Settings. You will find however that if you turn the Personal Hotspot Off on the iPhone you will lose the Bluetooth Connection to the TT GO Unit so you must ensure that both settings are on when Bluetooth connecting.

Doug
  • TruckerMarc
    Apprentice Seeker
    Hello Doug,

this is great, thank you so much for investigating this. You really helped me with that.

I agree that using BT should do the trick as well, it's just that I have the hotspot on anyway during my work for other devices, so there is no extra activity needed to add the TomTom, once it's registered the first time. This seems to me the least complicated way to switch over when in CH. The BT is active also, for handsfree and stuff, so maybe that will become the method of choice.

Also thanks for the heads-up re: the Discover vs Premium devices. I would be inclined to go for the GO Professional 6250, but was wondering about the GO Expert 7" as well. The latter seems the more 'modern' one, but your remarks make me wonder if there are maybe too many corners cut.

Thanks again. I'll let you know when I make my choice.

Marc..