saving source of data on GPS Tomtom 6000

Mo1010
Mo1010 Registered Users Posts: 2
New Seeker
hi, I would like to update my GPS Tomtom 6000 but it takes ages and fails several times, until it's finally done.
However, I see that the data is all saved on the internal storage of the device where I only have 235MB of free space left.
I would have an additional 30GB of free space on the separate memory card. But how can I tell the device to update the data on the memory card instead of the device-own storage space?

Best Answers

• Willy875
    Willy875 Registered Users Posts: 7,766
    Elite Voyager
    Answer ✓
    Hi
    Install your maps on the SD instead of the internal memory.
  • YamFazMan
    YamFazMan UKPosts: 21,480
     Superuser
    Answer ✓
    Hi
    @Mo1010
    The early NAV4 devices Maps fitted easily onto the 8GB of on-board Memory, but the Map sizes increases with every update... Now the 8GB limit on-board Memory size on the NAV4 devices is an unfortunate, but real Catch22 situation....
    The latest NAV4 Full Europe Map size is now around 9GB
    @VikramK or @lampard one of the Forum Moderators pick this type of problem and add a small Map to the Account to get past the 'Catch22' No Maps Found error....

See Catch22... https://discussions.tomtom.com/en/discussion/comment/1686043/#Comment_1686043

Stay Safe.... ATB YFM
  • DougLap
    DougLap Posts: 10,168
    Superuser
    Answer ✓
    Hi @Mo1010

Try and load the Venezuela map that has been added to your account by @VikramK and then you will be able to delete all other maps on the unit. Insert 16gb or 32gb micro SD class 10 card in the unit and format it on the GO 6000 for maps. Now go to My Drive Connect and you should be able to reload the Europe map which because of its size the software will know to add it to the extra memory card as there is not enough space internally. Note that should you decide to purchase another small map then that will be loaded on the internal memory if there is room for it.

Doug

Answers

• Willy875
    Elite Voyager
    Answer ✓
    Hi
    Install your maps on the SD instead of the internal memory.
  • Mo1010
    Mo1010 Registered Users Posts: 2
    New Seeker
    Thanks Willy for your input. I tried to do that, but failed by not finding the place where I could tell the device to install it on the SD instead on the internal memory. Do I need to manually move the maps on the finder in my iMac to the SD or can I do this within the TomTom MyDrive Connect?
  • YamFazMan
    YamFazMan UKPosts: 21,480
     Superuser
    Answer ✓
    Hi
    @Mo1010
    The early NAV4 devices Maps fitted easily onto the 8GB of on-board Memory, but the Map sizes increases with every update... Now the 8GB limit on-board Memory size on the NAV4 devices is an unfortunate, but real Catch22 situation....
    The latest NAV4 Full Europe Map size is now around 9GB
    @VikramK or @lampard one of the Forum Moderators pick this type of problem and add a small Map to the Account to get past the 'Catch22' No Maps Found error....

See Catch22... https://discussions.tomtom.com/en/discussion/comment/1686043/#Comment_1686043

Stay Safe.... ATB YFM
  • VikramK
    VikramK Administrators Posts: 14,712
    @Mo1010
    Your TomTom comes with world map updates, you should be able to add a smaller country map like Venezuela to the internal memory of the device. That will act as a keeper map to avoid the Catch22 situation.

Regards,
    Vikram.
  • Willy875
    Elite Voyager
    @VikramK
    Strange it seems to me that the Go 6000 comes with only a 48 country Europe card?
  • DougLap
    DougLap Posts: 10,168
    Superuser
    Answer ✓
    Hi @Mo1010

Try and load the Venezuela map that has been added to your account by @VikramK and then you will be able to delete all other maps on the unit. Insert 16gb or 32gb micro SD class 10 card in the unit and format it on the GO 6000 for maps. Now go to My Drive Connect and you should be able to reload the Europe map which because of its size the software will know to add it to the extra memory card as there is not enough space internally. Note that should you decide to purchase another small map then that will be loaded on the internal memory if there is room for it.

Doug