Why does my TomTom RIDER 550 take such a long time to make a 15mb update?!

Filks
Filks Registered Users Posts: 3
Apprentice Seeker
edited November 2021 in RIDER
The recent update from TomTom for the Rider 550 takes a day to update! Like wTf is that all about. Wtf do the tech support do at TomTom if they can't make this shit work. Wasting a whole travel day here for this 15mb file to download. F***ing annoying. Get your s**t together TomTom!!

Answers

• YamFazMan
    YamFazMan Posts: 20,787
    Superuser
    edited November 2021
    Hi
    @Filks
    The NAV5 (Wi-Fi) devices normally update using Wi-Fi....
    Some useful Tips… https://discussions.tomtom.com/en/discussion/comment/1739744/#Comment_1739744

I rarely have a problem updating Tomtom devices....
    Virgin Broadband 110 MB/s
    After reading your post...
    I deleted the Europe Map... And the UK&ROI Map....

Reinstalled the Full Europe Map... 19 Min 22 Secs (Stopwatch)
    The UK&ROI Map... 1 Min 43 Seconds

Stay Safe... ATB YFM
  • TigerRider
    TigerRider Registered Users Posts: 169
    Exalted Navigator
    @Filks it seems better lately but is was routine for me when updating my devices to receive an initial good update speed but this would reduce to a drip drip drip once going. On a number of occasions what should have been a quick update then bed became a "stuff it I'm off to bed" and I would have to leave it till morning.

It was frustrating because after the initial promise I was locked in for the day.

I don't believe my problems were/are related to my Internet connection as other big downloads happen quickly. Would suggest its more likely related to something going at the TomTom end.
  • Filks
    Apprentice Seeker
    Thanks @TigerRider for your response. Yes it was crawling along here at 1% literally every 4 minutes and I was goggled up gaining heat by the second in my winter gear. So I calculated it would take the best part of the day. So with no A-Z I just changed clothes and made a tea. On returning after an hour it had finished. Maybe it had finished sooner. More recently it has been swift. It is now all in all a brilliant device and I have no nostalgia for sitting on the side of the road once arriving roughly where I need to be hunting for a road name in the old A-Z. Which is where I was at when I last had motorcycle. It's just made biking a lot more fun. The MyDrive app is clunky on my iPhone and after all these years I just can't work out why TomTom hasn't aced this stuff. Oh well, mustn't grumble
  • TigerRider
    Exalted Navigator
    @Filks yep. Been there, done all that.

My biggest faux pas was going for what should have been a quick update while next to Reception in a hotel car park. It started well but slowed very quickly. Won't try that again. No SatNav for the day.

And don't get me started on MyDrive. A nice try but PANTS in far too many ways. I have ranted here a number of times to no effect. Why when looking for somewhere local does it offer places thousands of miles away first. If I choose one of these it tell me there's no route. WTF?
  • Filks
    Apprentice Seeker
    Haha @TigerRider I know it's bloody stupid. I wonder if I put @TomTom_Tom here if he'll reply and tell us why we get stupid locations suggested to us first from deepest Russia or Africa when only looking for a small village outside of Oxford 40 miles away. Also when you do eventually get the route on the screen, panning and scrolling on the map there is tortourous affair! It's like using the first phone that I ever connected to the internet with in the last century. I mean WTF indeed! In this day and age this seems like such easy shit I shouldn't be complaining about.
  • TigerRider
    Exalted Navigator
    edited November 2021
    @Filks near Oxford?? I'm west along the A40 at Cheltenham.

There's little point in complaining. I think they must hire n fire their developers for each product because there seems to be no continuity between them. Good bits get lost and new oh-so-clever new bits don't live up to their promise.

Maybe while you're waiting on your next update you could check out some of my rants.