TomTom Broke App Store Rules

lightvox
lightvox Registered Users Posts: 8
Apprentice Seeker
Today, I read an article about the Notability app which tried to switch to a subscription model, but this greatly upset the users who had paid for the app. A group of these users made a formal complaint to Apple citing a rule that the Notability app developers had broken. App Store Review Guideline 3.1.2(a) (https://developer.apple.com/app-store/review/guidelines/) which states:

"If you are changing your existing app to a subscription-based business model, you should not take away the primary functionality existing users have already paid for. For example, let customers who have already purchased a “full game unlock” continue to access the full game after you introduce a subscription model for new customers."

This is exactly the same rule that TomTom broke when they switched their iOS app to a subscription model, but they got away with it. Many of us paid significant amounts of money (I paid $99) to essentially be beta (more like alpha) testers for their app. The 1 and 2 star reviews for the app from that period attest to that. I chose to support TomTom because I didn't want to support Google, and become a commodity for their Waze and Maps apps. Those of us who paid these significant amounts of money to be loyal to TomTom, were rewarded with a switch to a subscription model that basically rendered our investments useless. Yes, we were offered a trial period, but the app was still barely functional during the free "trial" subscription period. At one point I couldn't even launch the app for over 6 months because the login animation icon would just swirl and swirl, and never login.

Those of us who had purchased the iOS app should still have the functionality that we paid for. If TomTom wants to add additional functionality and charge a subscription for those features, then that is fine, but at this point there is NO WAY to use the app without having a subscription. We need to band together and submit a formal complaint to Apple as well just like the Notability app users. TomTom broke the same rule

https://9to5mac.com/2021/11/03/notability-subscription-broke-app-store-rules/

Comments

• rider1rider
    rider1rider Registered Users Posts: 1,543
    Revered Voyager
    write to support
  • lightvox
    Apprentice Seeker
    I've tried to contact support via email, phone, chat a million times. Falls on deaf ears, and they couldn't seem to care less.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Supreme Pioneer
    @lightvox Hello :)

Well, they are technically not breaking the rules as this is a seperate app. If you wish, you may contact Apple Legal department.
  • lightvox
    Apprentice Seeker
    Yes, technically they aren't, but they basically screwed a lot of loyal customers. The trial period that TomTom gave us to use the new TomTom Go app was a joke. It was a crippled half-baked mess that didn't even have half of the features of the original TomTom iOS app. They essentially gave us the trial period to be alpha testers for the new app, and I couldn't even log into the app most of the time.

BTW, I wasn't expecting a lifetime subscription going forward. Just the trial period that they gave us, after having paid a king's ransom for the iOS app, to be used when the TomTom Go app was actually functional and usable like it is now, rather than when it was a mess. Instead, they've lost hundreds, if not thousands of customers to competing navigation apps, free and paid because of terrible way that they handled the transition.
  • [Deleted User]
    Supreme Pioneer
    @lightvox I hope you are having a great day, it would be best if you cant' reach their support to contact the Apple legal department.

Have a good day
  • Feckweed405
    Feckweed405 Registered Users Posts: 92
    Sovereign Trailblazer
    Hint TomTom. Just do what Weatherbug did to unethically circumvent these rules - keep the original single pay app, just don’t ever update it! 😣
  • YamFazMan
    YamFazMan UKPosts: 21,480
     Superuser
    edited November 2021
    Hi
    @lightvox
    lightvox wrote: »
    I've tried to contact support via email, phone, chat a million times. Falls on deaf ears, and they couldn't seem to care less.
    Contacting Tomtom Support….
    The phone service has been suspended (Indefinitely)
    The way of contacting Customer Services has changed
    For Tomtom Support Email or Chat lines...
    (Monday to Friday Normal Office Hours)
    Chat… Will be available during Normal Office Hours
    Email… Will be available outside of Normal Office Hours

Step by step tips when Contacting Tomtom Support....
    Here... https://discussions.tomtom.com/en/discussion/comment/1771083/#Comment_1771083

Stay Safe... ATB YFM
  • lightvox
    Apprentice Seeker
    Hint TomTom. Just do what Weatherbug did to unethically circumvent these rules - keep the original single pay app, just don’t ever update it! 😣

This is exactly what TomTom did, and eventually abandoned the original iOS app completely. They also probably intentionally crippled the new subscription based TomTom Go iOS app so that they could say that it was not the same app, but just with a subscription. If they actually did that on purpose, then it would have been the DUMBEST business move ever made because anyone who tried the TomTom Go iOS app hated it, and customers left in droves. Ultimately, TomTom ended up hurting themselves and losing business instead of doing the right thing like what the Notability app developers ended up doing.
  • [Deleted User]
    Supreme Pioneer
    @lightvox I hope you are having a great day, I don't think this conversation is going anywhere, so if you want, contact TomTom if not work, contact Apple.

The free trial is amazing and has everything, things have changed.

Shawn
  • RJD
    RJD Registered Users Posts: 13
    Legendary Explorer
    Hi all, not only did they do all the above with the old paid app then switch to subscription - they have now doubled their subscription prices since mid - October. Finally got the app functional then decide its worth double. I will not be renewing; its unfortunate and strange that they decided they had to do this they would get so many more subscribers with a lower price they would overall make more money!
  • Falconer_123
    Falconer_123 Registered Users Posts: 1
    New Traveler
    I still have the old TomTom app on my old iPhone 12 Pro Max It still currently works. Although there have been no map updates. I have recently purchased an iPhone 13 pro max and cannot install it as a pop up say’s it’s no longer available in the App Store. After reading previous comments I believe TomTom should be made to restore this app as stated under apple’s rules
  • nigelbbb
    nigelbbb Registered Users Posts: 119
    Supreme Navigator
    I still have the old TomTom app on my old iPhone 12 Pro Max It still currently works. Although there have been no map updates. I have recently purchased an iPhone 13 pro max and cannot install it as a pop up say’s it’s no longer available in the App Store. After reading previous comments I believe TomTom should be made to restore this app as stated under apple’s rules

You should able to do full local backup of your iPhone 12 Pro Max then restore that backup to your iPhone 13 Pro Max thus retaining the original TomTom Navigator app. You also need to make sure to use the app regularly or better yet disable 'Offload Unused Apps' https://9to5mac.com/2018/03/16/how-to-keep-apps-from-disappearing-from-your-iphone-by-turning-off-app-offloading/
  • lightvox
    Apprentice Seeker
    nigelbbb wrote: »

You should able to do full local backup of your iPhone 12 Pro Max then restore that backup to your iPhone 13 Pro Max thus retaining the original TomTom Navigator app. You also need to make sure to use the app regularly or better yet disable 'Offload Unused Apps' https://9to5mac.com/2018/03/16/how-to-keep-apps-from-disappearing-from-your-iphone-by-turning-off-app-offloading/

Thanks for this info. I had no idea that this was possible.

• lightvox
    Apprentice Seeker
    edited December 2021

Maybe we can organize a class-action lawsuit for TomTom to bring this app back for the users who purchased it. I'm not sure what you paid, but I recall paying $99! I removed it a while ago because of the deceptive and confusing language that TomTom used when they launched the subscription app. They also crippled the original app from what i recall. Map downloads were glacially slow, and then stopped working completely at one point. I had limited storage back then so I had only a regional map downloaded, and when I tried to download all of NA after getting an iPhone with more storage, I couldn't download the maps anymore.

I am convinced that TomTom broke App Store rules, and that we have legal recourse. What do you think?
  • lightvox
    Apprentice Seeker
    edited December 2021
    RJD wrote: »
    Hi all, not only did they do all the above with the old paid app then switch to subscription - they have now doubled their subscription prices since mid - October. Finally got the app functional then decide its worth double. I will not be renewing; its unfortunate and strange that they decided they had to do this they would get so many more subscribers with a lower price they would overall make more money!

Exactly! As I stated above, I'm not looking for a lifetime subscription as a purchaser of the original iOS app. Just the trial period that they offered to us to be used when the app was actually fully functional and stable. They are sitting on a gold mine because there are definitely people that are willing to pay for a navigation app for privacy reasons where free apps like Waze and google maps are not viable options. It's sad to hear that they doubled subscription prices because this will just bring about their demise even quicker. I'm not sure who is heading TomTom and making these horrible business decisions (including the ridiculously horrible transition to the subscription model), but they will bring about the end of a great navigation company. Tragic.
  • AndyB66
    AndyB66 Registered Users Posts: 5
    Master Explorer
    edited December 2021
    They have become a pathetic company. The issue of the app not working properly under iOS 15 still rages on. I went thru months of painful to and fro with their hopeless support staff (who dont seem to have a good grasp of English) and in the end NOTHING GOT SOLVED. I ended up buying a new iPhone 13 Pro (after having TomTom Go app on the iphone 8 plus) and live traffic and speed camera warnings BRIEFLY started working again. Since the 2.8.2 update, both of those services are now no longer working AGAIN.

I AM SICK TO DEATH OF THIS COMPANY AND IT’S STUPID MALFUNCTIONING PRODUCTS. I’d like to ask for a refund and cancel my subscription but they make it next to impossible for you to get in touch with anyone that has an IQ more than a lump of snot. Ya know what TomTom…shove it where the sun dont shine.

I’ll go to Apple Maps thank you very much.