Caravan & Camper Replacement For Normal Route Mapping

BeeJay48
BeeJay48 Registered Users Posts: 13
Master Explorer
* I have a GO 6000 using normal satnav mapping product. However, I drive an older Jaguar XJ and quite often the routing takes me off main roads along narrow roads/lanes that are not suitable for a car of this size and on routes that I do not know this leads to problems.
* This situation leads me to not being able to fully trust the route guidance.
* To get over this issue, can I download the Caravan & Camper version of the software whereby I can put in vehicles dimensions and thus, hopefully, avoid the issue. If I can, would it be cost free as I have already paid for normal mapping service.

Best Answer

• DougLap
    DougLap Posts: 10,168
    Superuser
    Answer ✓
    Hi @BeeJay48

TT have indicated that they do not support the loading of Camper maps on Car based units such as yours and it would not be a free service.if they did.

Doug

Answers

• DougLap
    Superuser
    Answer ✓
    Hi @BeeJay48

TT have indicated that they do not support the loading of Camper maps on Car based units such as yours and it would not be a free service.if they did.

Doug
  • BeeJay48
    Master Explorer
    Thanks DougLap. I thought as much... pity really because if my situation keeps happening I may have to contemplate choosing another company's product.
  • DougLap
    Superuser
    Hi @BeeJay48

Changing to another product is not necessarily going toresolve your issue. I have another major make of Camper unit and for over 2 years it would direct me through a parade of shops single track road and then when exiting at the end would return to the junction it had ignored before the shops. That has been corrected but now instead of just deleting the bit through the shops and just take the turning it used to take eventually it now has added an extra 2 miles to the journey.🤬🤬

Doug
  • BeeJay48
    Master Explorer
    DougLap. Thanks once again. It looks like my magical mystery tours may continue for some time yet...
  • YamFazMan
    YamFazMan UKPosts: 21,480
     Superuser
    edited October 2021
    Hi
    @BeeJay48
    If you plan your route using the MyDrive Web Route planner....
    You can select the vehicle type when planning the route....
    (1)... If you 'Save 'n' Sync' (GPX Track), as say vehicle type Camper Van (Heavy)... The device will follow the track like a Breadcrumb trail... Note the track is fixed, and the device WILL NOT respond to Live Traffic... Also, a .GPX Track can be a little hit or miss for a complex journey

(2)... If you use the 'Send Stops' option, and say a Camper Van (Heavy) vehicle type....
    When you sync the .ITN Route, your GO 6000 will recalculate the route as a Car :/
    But If you plan a route at using say the Camper Van (Heavy) as a vehicle type, and then add enough strategically placed Stops/Waypoints along the offered .ITN Route, you can force the GO 6000 to follow the Caravan, Camper Van (Heavy) route.....

For more Info/tips using the MDW Route planner....
    See.... https://discussions.tomtom.com/en/discussion/comment/1707989/#Comment_1707989

Stay Safe... ATB YFM
  • BeeJay48
    Master Explorer
    Thanks YFM. I'll give it a go on a known route of 345 Km and see where it takes me.... hopefully what I already know as the best route; we'll see. BJ48