Go 520 randomly turning on and off/freezing

jenncame
jenncame Registered Users Posts: 5
Apprentice Traveler
edited December 2021 in Devices using Wi-Fi®
I bought my GO 520 about 4 years ago and in the past week or so, it has started to turn on and off randomly; This started almost as soon as I had to cancel an map update/ charging station. When it does display, it GPS lags; it has been fully charged, reset, etc. I can't gain access to the cog wheel page as the screen immediately returns to the drum page. At my wits end!

Comments

• rider1rider
    rider1rider Registered Users Posts: 1,417
    Exalted Pioneer
    log out of mydrive on device
  • jenncame
    Apprentice Traveler
    Thanks
    log out of mydrive on device
    I tried that one my phone and lap top to no avail

• DougLap
    DougLap Posts: 9,858
    Superuser
    Hi @jenncame

@rider1rider is suggesting you do the following on your GO520:-

Tap Menu
    Tap Settings
    Tap My Drive
    Tap Stop Syncing

This will not adversely affect the normal running of the device and you just Log into MyDrive on the GO520 when you need to link to your Account to sync data etc..

Also does it do the same immediately after you have charged the device for about 2 hours using an Apple or similar Phone Mains Charger that will take the TT units USB cable. Also are you using the supplied Cig Charger unit that came with the device. Attching to a cars USB socket is not recommended.

Doug
  • jenncame
    Apprentice Traveler
    Hi Douglap, sorry its taken me forever to get back to this thread.
    I did as you suggested, stopped the constant refreshing, but now it doesn't recognise voice commands.. would this be a separate issue? Its also not showing traffic disruptions/road works, although the gps signal is strong and it is blue toothed to my phone

As for using the cig charger, I've not used that for the past 3 years, not since I changed cars

Thanks for your step by step help previously

Jenn
  • davecannell
    davecannell Registered Users Posts: 7
    Apprentice Seeker
    I seriously think that something in one of the latest TomTom updates has corrupted our devices my Rider 500 got stuck at 8% of the map update it advise me to do and now the device will not start up or restore using MyDrive Connect it simply restarts over and over again.....
  • jenncame
    Apprentice Traveler
    @davecannell , that was the start of my issues. I had to cancel an update and then it went into this endless loop of starting and freezing.
    I did what @DougLap suggested and logged out of the actual device. It worked fine except for the traffic management and voice control. Tonight I have reset the GPS and basically started from scratch, downloaded and installed a couple of updates from my laptop and now it appears to have fixed the issue, for he time being.
    My suggestion is to reset your device, stop syncing on it as well then start again
    cheers
    Jenn
  • davecannell
    davecannell Registered Users Posts: 7
    Apprentice Seeker
    Hi Jenn,

Unfortunately I can not get the device to start up it goes straight to recovery mode. Any pc I connect to simply then gets stuck in a recovery loop and says it is recovering the device but nothing happens and it simply repeats over and over again.