Faster to boot

KDC123
KDC123 Registered Users Posts: 4
Apprentice Seeker
The Go Discover gets some pretty damning reviews in this forum. Does anyone know how its boot-up time compares with the Go 6000? An improvement with that would be the only thing that would encourage me to risk it. My 6000 takes ages to warm up, which is pretty frustrating when you need to get somewhere. It's easy to see how Google is capturing the market.

Best Answer

• big
    big Posts: 1,712
    Superuser
    Answer ✓
    KDC123 wrote: »
    Are you happy with it, despite some rather dodgy user opinions here?
    That's difficult to answer without further qualifying.

Definitely, I am happy with the hardware. The unit is fast and the its construction is solid. The windscreen mount for the 7" is excellent. Even better than the 6" which is quite good as well.

Software is another issue entirely. If you are ok with a stripped down set of features then this might be acceptable. Even some basic features such as displaying the current time have been removed! The handsfree option was removed. There is no option to bulk load Points of Interest. The interface is screwy, such as replacing the menu button with a cancel button while on a route (can't make this stuff up!). The software seems decently stable lately -- it was prone to crashes earlier but the latest software updates have helped.

Maps are a mixed bag. These units are using a new map system which is updated very much more frequently. In some cases this has worked out well. But the older maps were much more mature and probably still have an edge. That said, the built-in points of interest on the new units seem more comprehensive.

New features have been added, such as petrol prices. I don't really care, I'd rather have the old features back instead. And if TomTom is going to add things they should concentrate on what people actually ask for. I've never noticed anyone ask for petrol prices on this forum. Light sensors, audio bluetooth output and POI management/alerts are common requests yet those requests seem to have been ignored.

Answers

• big
    Superuser
    Not sure what you mean by "warming up" -- I guess the time it takes for the initial map and fix to display, My 620 boots from power off to display of road in about 54 seconds. My Discover does the same in 42 seconds. The Go 6000 is slower than the 620. I think I've heard the processor in the Discover is twice as fast as the one in the 620.

Comparing Google Maps to the TomTom devices isn't a very accurate comparison. TomTom devices have self-contained maps and brains and all of that fits into your hand. Google maps work online with who knows how many computers at its disposal.
  • KDC123
    Apprentice Seeker
    big wrote: »
    Not sure what you mean by "warming up" -- I guess the time it takes for the initial map and fix to display, My 620 boots from power off to display of road in about 54 seconds. My Discover does the same in 42 seconds. The Go 6000 is slower than the 620. I think I've heard the processor in the Discover is twice as fast as the one in the 620.

Comparing Google Maps to the TomTom devices isn't a very accurate comparison. TomTom devices have self-contained maps and brains and all of that fits into your hand. Google maps work online with who knows how many computers at its disposal.

This is interesting. I timed my Go 6000 and it takes 90 seconds from turning on to being able to input anything. Too long, surely? It sounds like your Go Discover gets to the same point in half the time. Are you happy with it, despite some rather dodgy user opinions here?
  • big
    Superuser
    Answer ✓
    KDC123 wrote: »
    Are you happy with it, despite some rather dodgy user opinions here?
    That's difficult to answer without further qualifying.

Definitely, I am happy with the hardware. The unit is fast and the its construction is solid. The windscreen mount for the 7" is excellent. Even better than the 6" which is quite good as well.

Software is another issue entirely. If you are ok with a stripped down set of features then this might be acceptable. Even some basic features such as displaying the current time have been removed! The handsfree option was removed. There is no option to bulk load Points of Interest. The interface is screwy, such as replacing the menu button with a cancel button while on a route (can't make this stuff up!). The software seems decently stable lately -- it was prone to crashes earlier but the latest software updates have helped.

Maps are a mixed bag. These units are using a new map system which is updated very much more frequently. In some cases this has worked out well. But the older maps were much more mature and probably still have an edge. That said, the built-in points of interest on the new units seem more comprehensive.

New features have been added, such as petrol prices. I don't really care, I'd rather have the old features back instead. And if TomTom is going to add things they should concentrate on what people actually ask for. I've never noticed anyone ask for petrol prices on this forum. Light sensors, audio bluetooth output and POI management/alerts are common requests yet those requests seem to have been ignored.

• KDC123
    Apprentice Seeker
    Thank you for your comprehensive review, big. That is very helpful. I don't think I'll be rushing for the new model - will just have to be patient while the 6000 takes its time to wake up.
  • Willy875
    Willy875 Registered Users Posts: 5,330
    Revered Voyager
    The best is to put it to sleep, not to turn it off.