DougLap Posts: 9,827
    Superuser
    Hi @Barrycoll

No.

Doug
  • Barrycoll
    Barrycoll Registered Users Posts: 8
    Apprentice Seeker
    A short and (v) sharp response….implying, what is wrong with Tom/tom??
  • DougLap
    Superuser
    Hi @Barrycoll

Nothing wrong with Tomtom. I am a user just like you seeking to answer your question.

Doug
  • Barrycoll
    Apprentice Seeker
    Could the micro SD card slot accept a download of the W3W app??

(A big reveal of someone who doesn’t understand these things)!
  • DougLap
    Superuser
    edited October 2021
    Hi @Barrycoll

The extra memory slot only facilitates the adding of extra maps on a card that has been formatted in the unit for maps or a memory card with Route files on it that you wish to add to the device or if blank transfer from the unit. So no.

Doug

• DougLap
    Superuser
    Hi @Barrycoll

The GO Premium works with the Mapcode App which is similar to the Whats3App in the way it works. The Mapcode App covers the whole world and can specify a parking bay in a Carpark.

If you input DH.FX in search in your unit you can get a route to the middle gate at the front of Buckingham Palace.

Doug
  • Barrycoll
    Apprentice Seeker
    Thanks for your patience Doug….

Why does the unit sometimes not throw up a street/location, when an enlarged map search shows the street actually named on the screen. (Jet come back from a drive to southern Spain, and a Nothing Listed screen is a real pain
  • Barrycoll
    Apprentice Seeker
    That’s very interesting Doug…

So how can I increase the number of direct 'hits' from the Find box, as you suggest that the info is actually there within the Premium, but not being presented

Cheers. Barry
  • DougLap
    Superuser
    Hi @Barrycoll

Not sure I understand what you are saying. Could you give an example.

Re the Mapcode App. If you open that on a Smartphone and use it with the Google Earth Satellite type Map in hybrid mode you can move the map around and get an address, long/Lat or a Mapcode for the cursors position. If you are viewing a place in another country then you have to include the country code when putting in the GO Premium Search ie GBR DH.FX. You will see the country code where the App shows the Mapcode.

Doug
  • Barrycoll
    Apprentice Seeker
    I’m getting well above my pay grade here, Doug, but basically putting into Search, a hotel in Segovia,Spain, and i get No Results….sometimes, not even the street.
    But…..enlarge the map, and there it is.
    Very frustrating.
    Our smartphones are pay-as-you go, so no free data, but with pre-downloaded Maps.me, location can be spotted

Why is TT so unhelpful???

Barry
  • DougLap
    Superuser
    edited October 2021
    Hi @Barrycoll

On the GO Premium I would do the following.

Tap Menu
    Tap Search
    Type Segovia
    Tap Segovia (at top of lefthand column)
    Type Hotel
    Tap Hotel/Motel ( top of righthand column)
    Tap the Blue Keyboard Icon bottom Right
    You can now scroll through about 60 Hotels which are listed radially from the centre of Segovia.

Alternative

When you have got as far as Typing Hotel and Tapped Hotel/Motel then try typing the name of the Hotel ie Juan Bravo

Alternative

With the map displayed move the map around until you have centred on a Town or village. now Press the screen in the Town/Village until a Black Dot appears and a submenu. Select Search Near here. Now type Hotel etc etc as above.

Alternative
    Tap Menu
    Tap Search
    Tap Whole Map (Top right)
    Select which option you want the search to be based on and Search for a Hotel from there.

Doug
  • Barrycoll
    Apprentice Seeker
    Very kind of you Doug, and will print this off for future use.
    TT is mainly for European use, so it becomes just occasional, and then I forget…!

A new Toyota Corolla but mapping is useless, and a pale blue route is invisible at times
    If you book a hotel with Booking.com you get GPS coordinates, and sometimes W3W which means using maps.me as google won’t do offline

I am reds.animal.owner which is so much easier than no/st name/post code etc, and even I can’t forget it…..so which will be the first sat-nav to incorporate w3w I wonder.
    NextBase have it in their new windscreen camera for location, and even MB and Ford are factory fits
  • DougLap
    Superuser
    Hi @Barrycoll

The problem I have is that one of the W3W codes for a position where I live is X X Trash and its not where the bins are. 😂

Doug
  • Barrycoll
    Apprentice Seeker
    Can’t forget that either Doug…spot on!

So who will be the first to use W3W??

Cheers mate Barry