Waste of money

lyndon1230
lyndon1230 Registered Users Posts: 15
Master Explorer
Well what a waste of money the go discover is. I’m a driving instructor so do the same routes day in day out and teach using a Satnav for the driving test. I upgraded my old sat nav for the tomtom go discover as the battery was worn out in the old one. The maps are so out of date, the routing is way off.
When you go on the map share to report it, the roads are actually on there so you cant report anything.
A total waste of money. That bad, I’ve actually got the old one back out and put the discover in the box
Tomtom need to sort this out, new updates weekly but still way out of date.

Comments

• Niall
    Niall Posts: 11,112
    Superuser
    @lyndon1230

Can you give a few examples of the discrepancies
  • lyndon1230
    Master Explorer
    8iqsqiyl9j9x.jpeg
    jq6mh7hs7lvl.jpeg
    Usk way in Newport Gwent
  • Niall
    Superuser
    @lyndon1230
    So your device does not show the private roads inside the Newport Household Waste Recycling Centre, I hope you do not take your pupils around that
  • lyndon1230
    Master Explorer
    Only the rubbish ones 😂
  • lyndon1230
    Master Explorer
    It says follow the road ahead 1st exit. It’s the 2nd. The following roundabout also has a road to the left that’s not shown. Edward vii avenue has a bend to the left and then to the right. It’s says turn left then right instead of bare left and right. However if you travel the other direction it says turn right, it doesn’t say turn left. So travelling one direction it picks up 2 wrong turns but the opposite direction it only picks up 1. Need I go on, I could waste my time on here all night with examples.
  • DougLap
    DougLap Posts: 9,827
    Superuser
    Hi @lyndon1230

I would suggest that straight over is not the 2nd exit but the 1st as what you are considering as the 1st Exit is an entrance to a business or could be someones driveway.. If you were being directed to the refuse tip it would say you have reached your destination when you reach the Roundabout.

There is a similar situation at a roundabout near Margate where driving towards Margate what you call the 1st exit is the entrance to a Car Park so the TT calls the exit straight across the 1st exit and ignores the CarPark entrance..

Doug
  • Niall
    Superuser
    @lyndon1230
    This should also be an example to your pupils that they should not be slaves to their GPS, but should also be vigilante and look at the road furniture.
  • lyndon1230
    Master Explorer
    Douglap my old satnav classes it as the 2nd exit while the go discover treats it as the first and doesn’t even show an exit, so no consistency .Even though its a recycling plant there is still an exit there.
    Niall, of course they’re taught to not be a slave to the GPS, to use common sense, if something doesn’t look correct it probably isn’t.
    The point I’m trying to make is the old tomtom is a lot more accurate than the go discover. Yes there will be discrepancies, Satnavs are far from being foolproof but Considering it’s supposed to be a new device its way behind in the mapping department.
    After spending £250 on a new device I would expect it to be at least as good if not better than a 6 year old replacement
  • CobaltSteer
    CobaltSteer Registered Users Posts: 12
    Legendary Explorer
    lyndon1230 wrote: »
    Douglap my old satnav classes it as the 2nd exit while the go discover treats it as the first and doesn’t even show an exit, so no consistency .Even though its a recycling plant there is still an exit there.
    Niall, of course they’re taught to not be a slave to the GPS, to use common sense, if something doesn’t look correct it probably isn’t.
    The point I’m trying to make is the old tomtom is a lot more accurate than the go discover. Yes there will be discrepancies, Satnavs are far from being foolproof but Considering it’s supposed to be a new device its way behind in the mapping department.
    After spending £250 on a new device I would expect it to be at least as good if not better than a 6 year old replacement

And this is the exact problem with the GO Expert 6" or 7".

The routing from the newer devices, compared to the much older 6250 ( which I have had for 4/5 years ) is at times, a complete joke.

The newer devices should be better, but at worse, equal to the units they are replacing.
  • lyndon1230
    Master Explorer
    Niall wrote: »
    @lyndon1230
    So your device does not show the private roads inside the Newport Household Waste Recycling Centre, I hope you do not take your pupils around that

Whether I take my pupils inside the recycling plant or not is irrelevant anyway. If it’s shown on old tomtom devices why not show on the new ones?

The roads are still there.

This is just one example of many I could show.